<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  [Update 02/11/2009] Take a glimpse in 2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:50 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Nah, only if he sacrifices us does he get more AP. I'm patient I can wait. Really I can.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:37 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Morf wrote:
...All I can promise is that from January will start showcasing new rules and skills that will be affecting the cards attached to the new miniatures.
I guess you all would love to know why all Damage dealt by Giant Hadron is Super Damage and how Super Zed benefits from the new super clean rules for Flight and how ... ok, I'll stop here...

Are there any plans to expand the skills to incorporate other common genre 'energy' types/forms (well comic book energy at least) such as Ice, Electricity, Light, Darkness etc?

I know these would not naturally fit the traditional element-paradigm approach taken thus far, but they are common themes for comic book powers so arguably have a place.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:06 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Ice models should use the Water rule. They do double damage to and take double damage from Fire.

Light/Dark is an interesting idea.

Electricity would need an opposing element to fit in the rules scheme.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:24 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
Invader Larb wrote:
Ice models should use the Water rule. They do double damage to and take double damage from Fire.

both ice and electricity are a bit more complicated than that.. I think the 4 elements should stay as they are. and make those two some additionals besides those elements.
something like this :

Ice does double damage to water and takes double damage from fire.
for other purposes ice is both Air and Water. (like using elemental mastery.)
additionally ice has a +1 damage on supremes with nonliving, and knocks them down after succesfull damage.

Electricity does double damage to earth and takes double damage from water.
for other purposes electricity is both Fire and Earth. (like using elemental mastery.)
additionally electricity has a +1 damage on supremes with mechanical, and knocks them down after succesfull damage.

generally tough, apart from rules I think more often an "element" should be added to characters and abilities even if they have no special rules perse.

example.. radiation to nuke and nuclear jones, that way some supremes can easily be immune to those effects, or even increase them.
allows for more creativity with special abilities in the future ;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:54 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Melvin wrote:

for other purposes electricity is both Fire and Earth. (like using elemental mastery.)
additionally electricity has a +1 damage on supremes with mechanical, and knocks them down after succesfull damage.

Wouldn't it be better the other way around? I mean electricity should be super effective against water, and earth would be super effective against electricity, as water conducts electricity, and earth does not suffer that much from a lightning blast...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
John S. wrote:
Melvin wrote:

Wouldn't it be better the other way around? I mean electricity should be super effective against water, and earth would be super effective against electricity, as water conducts electricity, and earth does not suffer that much from a lightning blast...

If we look at electricity and water being a risky mix, then I think keeping a vulnerablity to water makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:46 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
maybe split this up into a rules discussion topic ;)

basically you could say electricity is both weak and strong to water, and earth actually has no synergy with it at all. (tough lightning can scorch the earth, and if earth is also trees and plants.. lightning burns that too.)
but its more an interesting rules choice over anything else.
and when looking beyond the element.. a character charged with electricity gets a severe overload trough water, the element electricity doesnt suffer the double damage but the character does. likewise someone with their feet on solid ground suffers more damage from electricity, so again while the element itself is unharmed, an earth elemental supreme is much more vulnerable to lightning as not just its feet but everything "touches" earth.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:48 pm
Melvin wrote:
Invader Larb wrote:

both ice and electricity are a bit more complicated than that.. I think the 4 elements should stay as they are. and make those two some additionals besides those elements.
something like this :

Ice does double damage to water and takes double damage from fire.
for other purposes ice is both Air and Water. (like using elemental mastery.)
additionally ice has a +1 damage on supremes with nonliving, and knocks them down after succesfull damage.

I like the mastery/damage modification, but feel the +1 vs nonliving and knockdown are both a bit fiddly. The knockdown could easliy be added into any specific exclusive attack actions, and the +1 vs nonliving doesn't seem wholly necessary. Given that I would build the skill from your suggestion thus:

Ice does double damage to Water and takes double damage from Fire.
For other purposes ice is both Air and Water (for example in using Elemental Mastery).

Quote:

Similarly I'd again drop the knockdown, but in this case the bonus vs Mechanical makes a lot of sense. Thus I think it would work well (again slightly modifying your idea Melvin):

Electricity does double damage to Earth and takes double damage from Water.
For other purposes electricity is both Fire and Earth (for example if using Elemental Mastery). Additionally Electricity adds +1 to opposed rolls against Mechanical supremes.

Quote:
generally tough, apart from rules I think more often an "element" should be added to characters and abilities even if they have no special rules perse.

example.. radiation to nuke and nuclear jones, that way some supremes can easily be immune to those effects, or even increase them.
allows for more creativity with special abilities in the future ;)

I'd support this, totally. We have seen revision of existing cards already (Nuke and Guerilla), so if tackled at this stage it is not unmanagable.

I really think addition of new 'energy' tags/skills makes a lot of sense, helps descriptively as both a narrative short-hand and a gameplay one. And of course it is a big in-genre tradition (think fire vs ice type battles in lots of comic books as the classic example); the sheer number of Ice, Radiation, Darkness, Electricity, Light-based characters and power themes (and other lesser seen concepts such as Sound) kind of warrants at least some thought or consideration.

I would love to see this kind of expansion beyond the classical four elements. Obviously working out the various interactions could be very tricky, since the classical-four of Air, Earth, Fire and Water are currently precisely balanced in theoretical terms (but perhaps not so much in model selection choice terms...). despite the existing balance there could be real merit in bashing out an expansion of skills in this area.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:51 pm
Melvin wrote:
maybe split this up into a rules discussion topic ;)

Good idea. It makes a lot of sense to keep the discussion to itself. I have taken the liberty of quoting a few posts into the other/dedicated thread.

This link is to a dedicated thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:39 am
Morf wrote:
Yup, Herald mini will always stay Herald-only (though there is going to be an opportunity to get him in a contest soon)...

This sounds cool. Very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:44 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 44Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm
Maybe I'm just slow, but which subfaction will Kitty be attached to, if any?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 pm
Hjelmen wrote:
Maybe I'm just slow, but which subfaction will Kitty be attached to, if any?

I don't know if it has been publicly revealed. Indications are that she is Hero/Villain so maybe no faction.

Given the reference to Twilight Hills as being whre she comes from, that suggests a Msytery origin to me, which narrows down the likely allegiances to maybe Blood Watch or Coven, but then i doubt she belongs to any of if she is Hero/Villain (unless she is in fact a Hero or Villain with Greed, which would be a nice balance to Harrier).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
She will not have a sub-faction.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:54 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Look at her stats again Larb old buddy. She's got a listed Sub-Faction, one we've never heard of before. Still it's on the sheet. But she is a Hero/Villain so I'm sure everyone can find a use for her.

And for the record she is every bit as cool on the table as her concept art would suggest. As Dr. Venkman would say "She's a nimble little minx "

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:51 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Look at her stats again Larb old buddy. She's got a listed Sub-Faction, one we've never heard of before. Still it's on the sheet. But she is a Hero/Villain so I'm sure everyone can find a use for her.

And for the record she is every bit as cool on the table as her concept art would suggest. As Dr. Venkman would say "She's a nimble little minx "

Oh you tease! You are as bad as Morf - has he had you in training...? :P

Did you mean an allegiance never mentioned before or did you mean one that has not had a mini yet?

If the latter I suspect Royal Investments for some reason.