<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Best of the Best!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
The game is growing, and so is the line-up of characters and options. So in that light, I thought it would be interesting for us to share our favourites from Pulp City; I was thinking of stuff like:
- best Level 1
- best Level 2
- best Level 3
- best Hero
- best Hero/Villain
- best Villain
- best Minion
- best Resource
- best mini (so far)
- best Allegiance/Subfaction
- etc (you get the idea, whatever you want to highlight).

So here goes for me:
    - best Level 1: Gentleman with Sniper Rifle; Merc and Greed 1 make him pretty indispensible to any team in my view, and the sniper rifle compensates for his low AP allowance; not a game-winner, but a great Team member because of his qualities
    - best Level 2: Ace of Wraiths; Hellstrom and Hangman make him a great 'midfield' Supreme - decent effective combat range and useful AP allowance, and bonuses to take out Villains
    - best Level 3: not played any yet, but I guess it will be C.O.R.E for power; time will tell
    - best Hero: Solar; he epitomises spandex hero for me, and super-heroes is what brought me to the game
    - best Hero/Villain: Father Oak - I love that he epitomises a sense of being beyond good and evil, but follows his own path, and the mini is brilliant
    - best Villain: Xenobi; he is just so much fun to play
    - best Minion: not sure yet, but once my Vigilantes hit the streets (hopefully very soon) it will likely be them
    - best Resource: Minions aside of course; most exclusive Resources are no-brainers in my view, but probbaly Sniper Rifle for Gentleman - choosing this over Brace of Pistols means that Gentleman plays in a completely different way
    - best mini (so far): so many strong contenders, but if picking one probably Nuclear Jones - for now; he is just so well designed in terms of costume, cyber-organs etc
    - best Allegiance/Subfaction: not a subfaction per se, but probably the unaligned Heroes; they all pretty much have a good comic book feel in some way, and become a subfaction under Dead Eye, so I think they count

So what about the rest of you? What do you think are the best of the best?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I personally shy away from the term "best" but will toss out some of my favorites:

Level 1: Chimp Chi - He is versitile and sneaky. Good use of Blend will make him a difficult monkey to hurt with ranged attacks. He has a ranged action off of a very good trump trait. He has an exclusive action that can only be described as "Movement Shennaigans." Plus he has a melee self-buff for s comic book style super mega uber attack. This monkey is awesome! Oh, and the Jade Hawk is prettty cool too.

Level 2: Sgt. Bale - He calls you out from accross the table and you know you're in trouble. Sgt. Bale can fight in melee or at range and has respectable defensive stats. The bonus +1 from Inquisitor is excellent and can stack with the bonus from Dragon's Champion. Plus, he has the ability to burn you down with Aftershocks. Good times and amazing model.

Level 3: Mysterious Man - He captures the evil mastermind for me. He brings the best minions and knows how to make even the most useless thug take on super powered heroes.

Hero: Trail - Sure he does no damage. But that is not why is he's dangerous. He will turn your mind to pudding and you'll like it!

Hero/Villain: The Herald - A gun toting time cop that is hunting down an opposing model to protect time itself is too much fun.

Villain: Tangent - Girls can be good at math. So study in school kids and do your homework.

Minion: Corrupt Cops - 'Nuff said.

Resource: The Mercurial Matrix - It does just what you need for each model, and does something different for every one on his team. Just wait until you put Dr. Mercury on the table with Captain Hadron!

Sculpt: Dr. Red - He has so much great detail and is both a fantastic orangutang and also a grenade-toting army surplus military genius. He's truely an amazing model.

Allegiance/Subfaction: The Forgotten are my team. I love the back story for the sub-faction and the individual models. Boreas and Hellsmith are both amazing and The Forgotten have some fun stuff coming down the pipe. Mecha-Spartans!

Last edited by Invader Larb on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:26 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Invader Larb wrote:
I personally shy away from the bterm "best" but will toss out some of my favorites...

I chose 'best of the best' to honour the 80's setting of Pulp City! There was a cheesy martial arts movie of that name in the 80's. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:02 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Hey, I liked that movie!

My experience w/ Pulp City is still very limited, so take all of these with a big hunk of rock salt.

best Level 1: Gentleman. Good ranged attack, doesn't have to put himself in danger to contribute, +1 AP for the pool rocks! He's versatile enough that he can be an asset to any team. Other Level 1 Supremes may outshine him in the right lists where they benefit from subfaction buffs but Gentleman works anywhere. Edit: Oops, it's not +1 Action Point, it's +1 Resource Point. So, not as good as I originally thought but still solid.

best Level 2: Hard to call, but I'll go with Boreas. Gale is a great ranged attack that can potentially hurt two models at once, or can be used to push cover around to aid your team. Blood Wind locks stuff down HARD and really discourages your opponent from clumping up which means you can double-team them while they're reluctant to do the same to you. Whirlwind can protect your entire team from ranged attacks. He just strikes me as a pretty versatile guy. Not a very good beatstick granted, but that's what the rest of the team is for.

best Level 3: Not a clue, never used one.

best Hero: Dr. Mercury. He's a fantastic beatstick, he's got a custom resource that's really cool for any Heavy Metal teammates, and Absorb 2 makes him really hard to kill. Plus, he's made of liquid metal which is really cool.

best Hero/Villain: I'm going to cheat here and put in two names: Apebot & Virus. You may struggle with activation order, keeping Virus safe, and taking too long to get them started each turn, but when all is said and done it's all about a giant robot gorilla who can smash nearly anything and the cute little hacker monkey who loves him.

best Villain: Dr. Tenebrous. He more than anyone else feels to me like a real mastermind sort of supervillian. You might just go out and punch the crud out of some villains, but he looks like the sort of guy that's always going to be one step ahead and escape to torment you again next week. Honorable mention goes to Nuke for looking exactly like something from a Scooby Doo cartoon.

best Minion: Hoodoo's wolf.

best Resource: The Glove. Oh, you thought you killed Apebot? BAM! He's back.

best mini (so far): Seabolt. I just really like how his body transitions from limb to water.

best Allegiance/Subfaction: A.R.C. To me, its the best fleshed out team so far. I love Forgotten but they only have two models. I like Heavy Metal, but they feel a little disjoint and I only really like certain members.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:44 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I haven't played enough games with models outside of the starter sets to get all "rulesy" about it, and to be frank thats just not the way I roll.

What attracts me to models is literally the way they look first, and their rules second.

So, in no particular order of coolness - Doc Warlocks "Cool Picks" . . .

Hitman - who doesn't like a slick killer in a designer suit! Still one of my favourites from the range!

The Apebot - Big killer Robots have always been a big favourite of mine, and this BMM (big metal monkey) is no exception - takes me right back to the Tohei Movies with Mecha-Kong in them!

Nuclear Jones - I LOVE this mini. The pose, the whole style of the sculpt - absolutely fantastic!

The Rook - Again great pose, nice sculpt!

Dr. Tenebrous - Who doesn't like this Malevolent Master of Menace. The pose says it all, he's just not bothered by anything! Awesome!

From the starter Sets I've always had great success in game (villain wise) with the Hellsmith, Hero's wise I'd have to go with Solar - he's such a great all rounder!

Last edited by Doctor-Warlock on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
- best Level 1: Chimp Chi. This little simian is the ultimate ninja. I tell this story all the time but when he first came out we had entire games where the goal was to kill Chimp Chi. He's a very scary little guy when used right. Plus I've got this thing for monkeys. (Maybe you all noticed?)

- best Level 2: This is hard so many good ones. In the end I'll cast a vote for Iron Train. I like the tank characters and Pulp City has no better tank than Iron Train. He's nigh invulerable, hits really hard and can defend his team mates. Plus he's such a unique model I can't help but love him.

- best Level 3: Mysterious Man! He's got the worlds best Human Resources department. I mean wave after wave of minions thrown against you. He can steal your powers. He can taunt you with past failures and make you cry! He's soo much fun. Plus with the BOOM rules it's easy to flood the board with custom minions of incredible power. Love this guy.

- best Hero: Ace of Wraiths. I love the cursed immortal cowboy backstory. He's a cool model. He's powerful and colorful on the table. But for me there is something I just love about the whole concept. It's always really grabbed me.

- best Hero/Villain: Father Oak. What can I say I love the big tree. Fantastic sculpt and really brought my vision to life. I'm always impressed when I put him on the table with all the cool things he can do.

- best Villain: Hellsmith. Gigantic, angry, Spartan smith. This guy is a monster on the table and a blast to paint. Just a cool, cool character.

- best Minion: June Summers hands down. She's such an iconic character and can really, really help your team earn Agenda Points. She's just so cool I always try and take her when I can.

- best Resource: Unsettled Debt! Random citizens hitting you with hand cannon when you least expect it. It's just so cool to use and so cinematic in my mind. I ALWAY take this one when playing the villains.

- best mini (so far): I think Dr. Red is my favorite. Great sculpt loads of character and detail. He's just fantastic.

- best Allegiance/Subfaction: I love A.R.C. as you all know. But I've also got a really soft spot for the dark anti-hero types. So I'm torn between them and Blood Watch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Oh, I thought it was a topic about me... sorry, my bad!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:10 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Well it might be if you got back to work...

Shouldn't you be writting something?