<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Introducing Pulp City: So far so good...

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:46 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
I did my first informal demos of Pulp City Thursday evening, playing two games with a friend of mine who had expressed interest (Bearded Dragon from the PP boards if you're familiar with the place).

Basically, it went pretty well. He liked the game and said he would be willing to pick up a team's worth of minis to play. We also had a couple bystanders curious about the game, and the store owner wants me to bring them in again today so he can have a closer look (he already said he can special order the models no problem).

I'm planning to hold a demo day sometime coming up, after I get some of my models painted and make sure I've got the fine points of the rules down a little better. As soon as I get home from the game store this evening the first batch are getting primed so I can get started. Probably it will be about 2-3 more weeks before I'm ready to do the demo.

All told I've got about 5 people from our LGS that have expressed interest so far and am hoping to pick up a couple extras when we have the demo day.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:11 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Well done!

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:27 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Nicely Nicely . . . . . .

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:39 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Great news indeed!

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:14 pm
Well, sort of poor attendance at the LGS today. And by the time I finished my Uncharted Seas game, the owner was in the middle of a 40k match so I didn't get to demo to him either.

No big deal, I'll catch him next time. Anyway, as soon as I finish a few things I'm going to go prime a batch of stuff and start on my painting. Not sure who all it will be, other than I'll definitely include Androida because she'll only take a couple minutes to paint :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:51 pm
MortalPosts: 1Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 am
dboeren...
What figures did you use for the demo?

I am just wondering what you used. I am looking to start Pulp City, and I am still not sure what I want to pick up.

Thanks,
D.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:03 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 am
In ours, we've just picked up both starters. Great visual models.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:07 pm
I'm doing the demos as level 5 games, so two level 2's and one level 1 per side.

In this demo where I was only demoing for one person we just picked out interesting figures.

Round 1 was Solar, Sgt. Bale, and Red Riding Hoodoo vs. Hellsmith, Tangent, and Sister Bedlam
Round 2 was Boreas, Nuke, and Gentleman vs. Ace of Wraiths, Stoner Hawk, and Androida

For the demo day where there will (hopefully) be more people and I want to keep things moving I am planning to have pre-built teams to choose from so we can keep things moving. I haven't actually worked out what they will be yet, but probably 4 or 5 teams to choose from and each team will likely have a beatstick and a support or ranged Supreme for their level 2's. We will use only a minimal amount of Resources, probably no minions except maybe Hoodoo's wolf, and we may give a few Supremes their signature piece of equipment. I'll have to see how well we can keep this balanced.

I'll probably do the teams loosely according to themes. So there will be an ARC team, a Necroplane team, etc... Maybe sometimes only 2 out of 3 members will actually "match" but we'll do what we can and fill in with unaligned guys.

It seems to me you can start out with nearly anything. The Starters are a good deal financially, but if you don't happen to like those models you can pick your own. I would advise that in very small games one of your level 2's should either be good in melee or have a way to help nullify melee models, and don't overdo support. Hero/Villain models are versatile since you can use them on both sides.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:13 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Lot of options really. Starter boxes are great way to go. However is you want to start smaller I suggest you pick any of the following boxes:

Rook & Francis Gator

Father Oak & Acorn

Apebot & Virus

Dr. Mercury & Cronin

Dr. Red & Howler

Tangent & Sister Bedlam

These are what I think of as Mini Starter sets. They come with a Lvl. 2 and Lvl 1 model. All of these sets have fantastic synergy between the two modes, often sharing a Sub Faction. Any of these sets can be picked up for cheap and played with. Nothing extra required. When I run demo's I like to use these models specifically because ANYONE can afford to pick them up and start playing. Great way to start.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:57 pm
Good point. I've got the Oak/Acorn and Tangent/Bedlam sets, and the Apebot/Virus and Mercury/Cronin sets are on order so it should be easy to use these as a basis for some of the lists.

Don't forget Sanguine/Supreme Zed either, that''s a nice in-theme set with a Level 2 and Level 1 also.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:08 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yup good point. I discounted that one thinking of Sanguine as Level 2... D'oh. Guess you know which version I'm a bigger fan of.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:45 am
Honestly, I like just about all Level 2's more than just about all Level 1's. I think it just comes with being more powerful, they've got more interesting stuff they can do and you know they're going to impact the game more.

But, I'm glad we have the option of Level 1 Sanguine.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:10 am
While it's true Level 1's are less dynamic, they're hardly useless. When you really start playing heavy with Agenda's and such Level 1 Supremes can have a surprising impact on the game. A lot of that has to do with breaking the habit of thinking that to win you have to wipe out the other guy. As we've pointed out Level 1 Supremes are often faster, more mobile and harder to lock down. They also don't draw fire like the bigger boys. More often than not in a bigger game say 7+ it's the Level 1's that accomplish most of your goals and earn you the most points. At least that's been my experience.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:41 pm
Certainly not useless by any means, I did not meant o suggest that. I have been thinking of them more as supporting staff, although some of them can contribute very well to combat too such as a sniper shot from Gentleman.

You're right though, Agendas will benefit them a good bit. Let the Level 2's beat each other on the head while the little guys race for the prize!

Offline Profile