<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Invader Larb (Matt Randy)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:17 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 22Location: Burlington, VermontJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:15 am
My brother Matt (known to many of you as Invader Larb) was found this morning after being missing since Wednesday morning. He had checked himself into a hotel, and at some point between Wednesday and this morning, he took his own life.

At this point, the local police are still conducting their investigation. They were able to tell me there was no sign of trauma nor was his death in any way traumatic. As I know more, I will share it with all of you.

The outpouring of support from this community has been tremendous since I first asked for help in finding him. I wish I could have called each of you who knew him and delivered this message in person, so please forgive the...disconnect. I know he meant a great deal to many of you just as all of you meant a great deal to him. There are still a great many questions we have...please feel free to contact me via PM or email if you would like to talk about Matt or would like more answers. Your support is greatly appreciated by myself, his wife Casey, their four "kids" (3 cats and Viktor, their dog) and his family.

If anyone would like to send a note or card to Casey, her mailing address is:
Casey McMains
20 Bentley Lane
Jericho, Vermont 05465

Regards,
Michael Randy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:41 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish there was something that I could have done to help prevent this. Please give my condolences to his wife and the rest of your family. I will miss him and his personality.

Ray

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
This is gutting, utterly gutting - I am so sorry for his Families loss.

I'm sure everyone on here feels the same.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:33 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
My deepest condolences to you Michael, and to all of Matt's family, especially his wife Casey. It is terribly sad news and no words can undo what has taken place. You have my utmost sympathies.

I lost a brother in similar circumstances several months ago; each day I still think about Nathan. The pain doesn't go away, but I learned that there is a way forward - and I believe this will be true for you all. Take comfort from your loved ones, all of you who loved Matt.

Rest in peace Matt - you will be missed around here.

Leon.

Last edited by pulpcitizen on Fri May 21, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:38 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
I send my best wishes and regards forward to everyone who knew him and was Matt's friend.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
omg! I don't know what to say..........Sorry just really doesn't seem appropriate....

I didn't know your brother personally but I knew him from forums such as Privateer Press and of course here. He was an important piece of the Pulp City universe and his voice will be missed.

Please accept my condolences and I hope that you and your family can get through this tragedy.

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:55 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
I'm totally floored by this. I've known Larb online ever since he first joined the Warmachine forums years ago and helped him get started with his Menoth force. I spoke to him on the phone for the first time a few weeks ago and he seemed fine. I guess now I'm really glad that I got to get a little closer to meeting him while I could but I wish I could have seen him in person.

Sorry if this is a little incoherent, but I'm really shocked by this.

fyi, I checked his profile and at least we can narrow down the timeframe a little:

Last visited: Fri May 21, 2010 1:10 am

So he was still logging up until late last night.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:02 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Matt,
I still can't believe it. You were one of the brightest, funniest people I had a chance to correspond with. You became my friend and I didn't even know when it happened.
Matt's family, hold on guys. My prayers are with you.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:08 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Matt you will be missed. I'm glad to have met you and call you friend. I'm lost for words...

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:44 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 55Location: Bordeaux (France)Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 pm
Don't know what to say. I'm very sad and and so far away I am, all my thoughts go to him and his family. Rest in peace Matt.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Matt, Michael and Casey, you and your family will by in our thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:39 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 97Location: Brunswick, MaineJoined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm
I've been a total wreck today since I got the news from Mike.

Matt was my friend. We'd talk on the phone, compare notes, have a great time at events. He sent my daughters some stuffed animals "just because", of which the dinosaur has quickly become my eldest favorite doll. He was a sharp guy, full of mirth and positivity, that him taking his own life ruins my perception of the world.

Not even a week ago we were driving around Seattle with the Walk Away crew, causing havock and panic to all the hippies, and enjoying the Invitational at Privateer Press. If I had known Saturday night would be the last time I saw him, I'd have said more than a simple "See you later."

I am hollow inside.

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath bore me on his back a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:30 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Words really can't express how totally crushed I am by this news. I've been worried sick all day. I met Matt just once at Temple Con this year. We sat up talking life gaming and of course Pulp City till late in the morning. It was like catching up with a childhood friend. I can only imagine how his loss will crush those who knew him better. He was a kind generous guy, with a sharp intelligence and an easy smile. I'm sorry I could not have known you better. Rest in peace my friend.

To his family Mike, Casey and all who knew and loved him I can offer only my deepest regrets on your loss. I hold you in my heart and in my prayers.

Devon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:05 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 am
Matt,
You were really cool to read here, and I'm very sorry for the family's loss. We've lost some good members of the gaming internet communities, and it sucks. Send Casey my very best and all thoughts are with everyone involved.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:22 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 35Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:39 pm
I don't know what to say other than Matt will be missed. He was extremely helpful in helping me get into this game, and he seemed like a great guy. Best and thoughtful wishes to his family in this time.

Offline Profile