<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Starter boxes, feedback welcomed

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:12 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Er, bad math there. If the original box is 6 points (2 level 2's and 2 level 1's) then the "expansion" 2-pack would bring it up to Level 9, not 8 (containing one more Level 2, and one more Level 1).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:22 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
Before all else, hoping Twilight gets a resculpt (a redesign even, her look doesnt really fit her skills... the gun for example, I will never choose as an equipment for her.) Androida I think the miniature is very fragile and static, but the concept is awesome :D
Solar allready gets a resculpt and of all those minis, I think only Guerilla would be needed (tough not necessary)

Nuke, Gentleman, Hellsmith, Iron train, Hoodoo.. are all good as they are.. great even. if resculpts arent due anytime soon, that combopacks would be (removing all solo packs):

Gentleman+Harrier (the 2 greedy ones)
Hellsmith+Twilight (twilight combines better with gentleman tough.)
Nuke+Mourn
Iron train+Androida
Hoodoo+6FU
Guerilla+ChimpChi

Im wondering how usefull starter sets are in a game where all miniatures come in sets, and you would only require 2 sets to have a playable group of your choice ?

maybe some bigger (themed) boxes with more miniatures.. or a specific level encounter but not forcefully starters ?

the Ulthar are coming as a single box and function as a good villain starter that way.

and to do the same with heavy metal, now that Cyburn and Hadron might be postponed in favor of Jadehawk and Skyline, maybe add resculpted Androida to that list.

or if more ambitious, add 1 or 2 more members to the Ufo enthusiasts club ;)

as real starter sets Id rather see that the starter set is all one needs to test the game (so either test it against a friend allready having PC minis, or have to people test a game from one set.)
a pure starter set (so only 1 set) could be :

Guerilla (hero/villain) lv2
Gentleman (villain + greed) lv1
Harrier (hero+ greed) lv1
Father Oak (hero/villain) lv2
Acorn (hero/villain) lv1

from that box one can play a lv7 hero or villain team, or split up to play a lv3 encounter between 2 players.

more interesting in that case might be doing a set of 4 new characters/miniatures, all with the same greed or hero/villain concept.. but much more basic.
when doing that Id like to see more straightforward characters, instead of the advanced types (nuke for example is an advanced one I think, while hellsmith is pretty straightforward.)

basically a hero with greed, a villain with greed and 2 hero/villains would do.

wouldnt some of the supreme genesis winner(s) (riposte and the other.) fit that bill.

all just my 2c offcourse

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:49 am
It shouldn't be hard to clip off Twilight's gun and repose her arm if you wanted to.
Personally I think her current model is fine, I like the concept of lurking perched on top of a gargoyle.

I do agree though that her gun seems pretty weak and not worth spending resource points on (and AP to use it) with her low :ENG rating.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 93Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:59 am
I think the level 6 starter is a good way to go too. Then you add your pack of 1 level 1 & 2, and maybe a level 13 to take you all the way up to 12. To me it just seems like nice elegant maths :)

I'd absolutely love it if they contained previously unreleased minis, but I realise how much production would need to go into this so it's probably not feasible. But definitely using figures not in the previous starters would be the way to go in my opinion.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 28Location: Sandhausen (Germany)Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:40 pm
some of the things i think were already written by others, please forgive me for not quoting. i'm not a bad person, just had a hard childhood. ;)

---

i like the idea of starters in the area of 4+4 points (3 heroes and 3 villains included) or two seperate packs.

i would recommend to package "easy to use" guys with few special rules, new players should not be forced to read more, than play. this could be more important than new charakters.

the miniatures included should look great, the first thing most people attracts is the surfacing qualities. ;)

i recommend to include a quick manual. yeah it's possible to load the rules via internet, but it would be nice if a total stranger to this game could unpack, read a few lines and play a simple superhero brawl with his friend.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:39 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Cpt. Düne wrote:
some of the things i think were already written by others, please forgive me for not quoting. i'm not a bad person, just had a hard childhood. ;)

---

i like the idea of starters in the area of 4+4 points (3 heroes and 3 villains included) or two seperate packs.

i would recommend to package "easy to use" guys with few special rules, new players should not be forced to read more, than play. this could be more important than new charakters.

the miniatures included should look great, the first thing most people attracts is the surfacing qualities. ;)

i recommend to include a quick manual. yeah it's possible to load the rules via internet, but it would be nice if a total stranger to this game could unpack, read a few lines and play a simple superhero brawl with his friend.

I like Dune's ideas. . . a quickstart manual would be nice - although, I know a few games don't include them, it would be great to be able to include some type of quick demo rules . . . maybe leaving Agendas, Team Powers and Trump Actions out for "advanced level" play.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:29 pm
Good point about picking straightforward characters. Out of a level 6 pack I'd make sure that one of the level 2's was a decent beatstick, and the other some sort of blaster or support or whatever.

I'm not sure about a quickstart though, it seems like the price of doing that would add up quite a bit since everyone who bought those figures would be getting them. A player who collects most of the models would probably have half a dozen of them easy.

Maybe instead just create a quickstart PDF and print a link to it on the box? Strip it down to basics to let people get the idea and they'll come back for the full rules later.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:46 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
dboeren wrote:
Good point about picking straightforward characters. Out of a level 6 pack I'd make sure that one of the level 2's was a decent beatstick, and the other some sort of blaster or support or whatever.

I'm not sure about a quickstart though, it seems like the price of doing that would add up quite a bit since everyone who bought those figures would be getting them. A player who collects most of the models would probably have half a dozen of them easy.

Maybe instead just create a quickstart PDF and print a link to it on the box? Strip it down to basics to let people get the idea and they'll come back for the full rules later.

I *think* the plan is to continue with rules available freely via pdf, as well as the full rulebook. That may have changed, but as I understood things there was the plan that the free rules would be rules only, no significant fluff content, except possibly the map of the city.

Just thinking out loud: with a quick-start pack, do people expect more in the way of components etc?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:00 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
yeah, actually, if I were to be interested in a starter pack for a game (or specifically this game.) Id want more than just miniatures I could get otherwise as well (but then fully to my own choosing ;)).

Id would want to have a 2player playable encounter, at least 3 miniatures a side.. the rules, even if light versions, proper amount of dice etc. whatever needed to play.

in pulpcity's case also those civilian tokens, or cardboard civilians.

perhaps, but to a less necessary extent one of those floormaps you find with clix games.

for one Im more of a boardgamer really, and like the whole out-of-the-box thing (and a box filled with goodes ;)) and most of the time, when I go for starters I have no immediate plans to expand on it, just threat it as single games (I have a monsterpocalypse starter set, soon to get a firestorm armada one, hated that it takes 5 sku's before you have a proper starter.)

if the above compositions are not available and starters are just miniatures, Im not that concerned to bother with getting a starter, just go ahead with picking the sets I like, its not likely a big deal financially.

but as said, by nature Im more a boardgamer type, so I dont know if this is true for by-nature-miniature gamers as well.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:00 pm
I think the plan being discussed is not that these starters would be available ON TOP OF the current packages, but that they would REPLACE the current packages.

So, if there was an Heavy Metal starter which included Dr. Mercury & Chronin there would no longer be a separate 2-pack of these same figures and it would be discontinued.

@Melvin
I don't see what you're describing as being practical. That's a ton of stuff to put into a box and minis games are not intended to be boardgames, nor do I think people expect to find dice, measuring tape, maps, and stand-up civilian counters in there. It would be a negative for many players to have to repeatedly pay for things they don't want or else force the company to duplicate SKUs (one version with all the extra stuff and one without) which retailers hate. It would also drive up the price of the starters immensely and necessitate redesigned packaging for a much larger box.

I do still think a quickstart rulebook would be useful, whether it's included or a PDF. I guess it depends in part on how small you can make it. Honestly, the current PDF is horrendously printer-unfriendly and my guess is that most people do not want to print it. It uses huge amounts of color ink, and some pages are pretty much unreadable on paper with thin white text on an all-black background. It would be nice to have maybe an 8-12 page mini version that leaves out everything but what you need to get a taste of gameplay.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:34 pm
dboeren, I realise what you said, my thing wasnt so much a suggestion as rather to referring to an actual need for a starter pack (as mentioned, I assume for a veteran miniature gamer, he wouldnt go for a starter pack with so many other sets available allready, so the target is non standard miniature gamers, thats why I made my post, as thats what I expect they would expect, as thats something I would expect (that sentence doesnt seem right :)) from a starter.. hence, maybe a starter in general isnt necessary anymore at this time.

especially not when continueing along the initial plan (wich was temporarily changed to boost lv1s etc.)
that initial plan being a boxset usually being playable from the go (2 miniatures = lv1+lv2 etc. and playable together) this makes any form of starter pack obsolete.. and the boxsets dont need to be 2 miniatures, some might be 3 or 4 or 5. even more blurring the line between a regular and starter pack.

exception would be lv3s, wich Id rather seen standardized someway, either like the first parts (lv3 leader + 2 minions, not necesary with rules, thats what BOOM can do.) or have lv3s be solo boxes.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
My personal 2 cents... I'd love another Androida sculpts :)

On the topic of start boxes. I think Heroes and Villain starters should be generic and non sub-faction specific mainly to help the retailer out and limit the number of Sku's.

I think quickstart rules would be ideal as well. With such an expanded figure line I think it would be nice to have the original starter box contents be released in the normal 2 figure expansion pack.

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:19 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Larkin Vain wrote:
My personal 2 cents... I'd love another Androida sculpts :)

Surely such a sculpt would have to be called Androida 2.0. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Ok my thoughts on boxes and releases. I'm of a mind to see figures being release in Level 3 boxes. With a single Lvl 1, and Lvl 2 model. I'd also like to see them themed by sub-faction or synergy. This way a blister is immediately usable at any game level. Each blister becomes, in essence, it's own starter box.

As for the rest I would rather see a Level 6 sub-faction Starter. Heavy Metal starter, Coven Starter, etc... I think a lot of people coming to Pulp City from other games are going to be looking for "factions" or armies. They are going to be drawn to the particular style, of one sub-faction. It seems to me that allowing a new player to pick up the team he's first drawn too will only benefit us in the long run.

As for quick start rules I'm not sure that's a good idea. The rules we would have to present would be stripped of a lot of the magic and appeal of Pulp City. Why spend money and time to create a weak watered down version of rules that are available for free online anyway? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense and I kind of feel runs counter to everything Pulp stands for.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:50 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Beermonkey wrote:
I think a lot of people coming to Pulp City from other games are going to be looking for "factions" or armies. They are going to be drawn to the particular style, of one sub-faction. It seems to me that allowing a new player to pick up the team he's first drawn too will only benefit us in the long run.

With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree.

You're right, people WILL be looking for factions/armies. Why not, nearly every other game has it. That said, these starters will most likely be the first point of contact that a new player may have with the game. It's best to shape their initial contact in a way that best shows off the game, and the lack of required factions/armies is a huge advantage to this game.

Don't get me wrong, the factions are characterful, thematic and I'll rarely (if ever) play without at least a few blood watch characters, but I love the freedom that the hero/villain system has. That freedom to take ANY heroes or villains is a massive selling point and I think that new starters, if any, should take that into account.

Offline Profile