<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Starter boxes, feedback welcomed

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:04 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
while this thread is a constant repeat of personal opinions :) wich have all been voiced previously in topics allready too, in the end its also a calculation of work vs sales.

- moving on with the excisting starters
target customers : new players only.

work required : no extra work, no "extra" money required beyond packaging.

- making new universal starters from excisting sets.
target customers : new players mostly, a few people who havent collected alot of the other sets allready.

work required : depends wether the other sets are discontinued or re-assembled, the miniatures are there allready, problem is only the packaging.

- making new universal starters with new miniatures.
target customers : new players and old players alike.

work required : alot, potential new starterset characters arent even in planning or sculpting stages as we speak, it would have to wait till next year or postpone projects really anticipated by fans (and not to mention, in wich money has allready been sunk.)
there are some wich afaik are in the ruletest phase that could be moved in these sets tough. (the missing supreme genesis entries.)

- making themed starters from excisting sets.
target customers : new players, and floating players (people who like one faction's look only, for various reasons.)

work required : equal to the universal variant.

- making themed starters with new miniatures.
target customers : the same as any new miniatureset, everyone.

work required : equal to the universal variant, however, as I mentioned before, among the current projects there is the ulthar invasion, as well as 2 heavy metal sculpts done, and a eager desire from fans and the big boss to get to Androida 2.0 , invent one more Heavy metal member or maybe even better an equally fitting (science theme/look) merc hero and you have the heroes box ready ?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:07 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Beermonkey wrote:
As for quick start rules I'm not sure that's a good idea. The rules we would have to present would be stripped of a lot of the magic and appeal of Pulp City. Why spend money and time to create a weak watered down version of rules that are available for free online anyway? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense and I kind of feel runs counter to everything Pulp stands for.

How about a "printer friendly" version.

Black text on white background with images at a minimum, circles representing models and bigger circles and lines representing the examples of powers and ranges?

I think that's what most people are concerned about. There are a lot of pages to print to play this game (not that I mind, but I don't have to pay for my printing.); especially if you jump right in as a new player. Someone who doesn't know the rules well will want something in front of them so they can flip pages to a specific section; not look on a laptop through 35+ pages at the mini table.

Although I do agree that a QS version would leave a lot of the fluff and "Pulp" out of the game.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:12 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Maybe instead of a quickstart, just update the rules PDF to be more printer friendly? I'd like to be able to tell people they can print the rules without having to warn them that it's going to eat huge amounts of ink and some pages will be unreadable. Maybe add an index so players can find the rule they're looking for more easily? Reduce pagecount where you can, I think I trimmed at least 6 pages when I printed mine that had no rules on them, just art or filler. People shouldn't have to be doing this manually.

@cardboardvampire
I agree that being largely factionless is a great thing about Pulp City. Some other games have it, but not many, and it does stand out as an advantage. But, I don't think that making scrambled starters is necessary or that it shows this off in a good light.

1. If you want a mixed team, you don't need a starter. You can just grab separate blisters.

2. The virtue of mixing is that you can take what you want. What could run more counter to that than giving people a fixed set of models? That's what we have NOW in the Hero & Villain starters and most people I've talked to see them as an annoyance. Instead of forming the basis of your faction to build on like in other games, you're buying 2-3 models you don't want to get the 2-3 models you do want that aren't available separately in the normal 2-packs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:49 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
A more printer friendly version I think is a must.

Such a document should have the core rules in it along with the skills. Also put in a handful of plots and agendas maybe 1 or 2 to get folks started.

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:21 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
From my point of view, unless you are collector the Starters have less appeal going forward to newcomers. People entering the game for the first time will look to picking up a sub faction first that appeals to them.

Collectin a subfaction results in a Level 3 supreme that adds team synergy. So some punters will stick to a sub faction to get a particular Level 3. If you are mixing and matching heroes you might feel left out that you will not end up having a level 3. On side note this could be offset by special resource cards or team up cards that can be used when you mix named factions on cards, but that is off topic.

I liked to see sets contain either sub faction group or a generic group. You pick 2 boxes you have a starting force. The risk of mixing generics and sub factions within a single box is that you can't please everyone.

As to quick start rules... hmmm pdf friendly is the way to go. Although a set of quick reference cards would be nice. List universal actions, the origin pyramid, turn sequence , attribute names etc . Turn counter and action point counter. Lots of potential of short and sweet aids that can fit on a card.

As to the existing models from the starters depends if you are ready to retire them or not. My guess is not. Resculpts are talked about and but is that to replace the original sculpt or to add a new spin on character from an stat/ability point of view. ie new card. The evolving character as it was.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:25 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
You've got some good points there Jim!

I like the idea of print friendly pdf. I think this is an essential component of the game. I love the idea of official quick reference cards. Seems like something we could get done. Of course I'm not privy to the cost breakdown analysis on something like this but I can see a real merit in it.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:23 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Lots of good points. That's why I love to throw the idea and just listen.
One thing you may be sure of - as a gamer I hate repackaging figures, throwing one new in and forcing you to get doubles.

The idea of online subfaction deals is on my mind, not sure how to get it out to the retail.
Quickstart rules up the final price by 3-4 Euros. Mind that the new rulebook will be out online as a printer friendly pdf (most of it).

I like the idead of Levels 2+1 vs. Levels 2 + 1 starter. This may a great and cheap way to introduce two people to the game.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:01 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
If you end up with the 2+1 Heroes VS 2+1 Villains, I'd highly suggest a 3 game scenario to be packaged with it.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:11 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 35Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:39 pm
I would like to throw my 2 cents in if I may.
When I buy a starter set, it is usually for one of two reasons:

? Easy way to get into the game to see if I like it.
? Quick facts cards or mini rulebook. Something I can look at, which is not the size of a full book, if I need a quick refresh.

Pulp City has a learning curve to it, so keeping a starter set manageable is essential in my opinion. What this means is keep the games small while they learn. This would hopefully mean cheaper starter sets, which could be another selling point.

If I had my way (and I realize I don?t know all the logistics, costs, etc for setting something up), this is how I would want it:

? 2 level 2?s ? ones not offered in the original starter
? 1 level 1 ? again one not offered in the original
? Quick facts/reference card(s)
? Tokens for keeping track of actions points

My one issue with the original starters was the Villain?s had a supreme the Heroes could use (Gentleman), but not vice versa. So if something like that is done again, I would ask for balance.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:22 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
Korcheski wrote:

My one issue with the original starters was the Villain?s had a supreme the Heroes could use (Gentleman), but not vice versa. So if something like that is done again, I would ask for balance.

make that 2, guerilla being a hero/villain

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:09 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
(Man, you miss the forums for four days, and suddenly the joint is jumping.)

dboeren wrote:
When I started, I wasn't sure I wanted everyone in the starters. I got them anyway because I'm buying most of the line but honestly if I was just planning to play "my" team or a few related teams I'm not sure I would. They're a good deal financially, and they're the only practical way to get some minis. If I want Hoodoo's wolf for instance I'm forced to get the starter. Also, online retailers only tend to stock the packs and not very many single figures so any model not in a 2-pack is hard to get.

But, I may not want all the models in the starter. The odds of that are increased because they do not fit any theme. They may not be entirely randomly selected, but the models chosen have no apparent relation to each other.

Amusing side note: I was about in the same boat, when I was getting in. I wasn't sure I liked all the starter figs, just I just ordered some of the singles from the webstore, and some other packs. And, as it turns out, I love the game. Yay! But since then, I've been buying the figs from the starters, one or two at a time, and every time I do, I kick myself for not just getting the starters in the first place.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:02 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I've wanted a decent Supers game for a while, so I went for both starters, the SE Gentleman, and the resin bases straight away - it just seemed the right thing to do at the time (if you get me).

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:54 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Since the question is on, here is what I think. I believe it would be nice to have subfaction ministarters, like 4 miniatures per starter ( 3 supremes and a minion, 4 supremes...). That would be a good way for newcomers who like 1 faction, since newcomers are the target of starter like products...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:29 am
MortalPosts: 43Location: BPRDJoined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:39 pm
I'll be the lone reply that the current starter set is good to go as is, and that it doesn't need a update.

My bigger issue with Pulp city has been that I ordered the resin bases for both the hero and villian sets over three months ago from FRP games, and I don't have them, yet.

I have Dr Mercury and Cronin done, an assload of Reaper Minis Chronoscope heros that have been the cats whiskers as far as my very own personal Pulp City home growns, but other then that, my two starter sets sit in limbo as I wait for two sets of resin bases that may or may not come.

I am a 110 % fan of your game, gang. I have a few dinosaurs and a couple of "Giant Robots", as well as a beastery of cruel and unusual heros and villians to compliment my forces.

A possible recommend may be to set yourself up a couple of the different faction boxes, but other then that, I wholeheartedly vote to leave your current box sets, "AS IS", and keep the common theme of giving players a spread vision of the heros and villians with the different factions.

Sorry I've been away, life has been beating my door down.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Grot 6 wrote:

My bigger issue with Pulp city has been that I ordered the resin bases for both the hero and villian sets over three months ago from FRP games, and I don't have them, yet.

Sorry to hear that, the reason might be that we don't offer these to retail anymore, MaxMini does. They distribute through Warpath and we didn't send them any bases in a long time. PM me if that problem persists.