<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Road to Pulp City Chapter 2: Power Up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:13 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Remember those games when Hellsmith would clash with Iron Train and a flurry of Powered-Up Strikes would fly?
These times are gone!
We took a different approach, with the goals of making Power-Ups more tactical and one more resource you want to be very careful with spending. Also, we felt like Level 1s were left out of the Power Up game because of the high use cost.

So how it works now?

Pulp City Guide wrote:

POWER-UP
Some rolls are more important to your Supreme than others. When making Opposed Rolls using a Trump Trait you may Power-Up that Roll. It doesn?t have to be a Trump Roll. Before making an Opposed Roll, first the Attacker, then the Defender, may declare they are Powering-Up their Roll. This can be done after the normal declaration of Actions during a turn.

The model pays 1 AP and takes a Power-Up Die (D3) from your Power-Up Pool. The value of the Roll is added to the total of the Opposed Roll. Remember when using a D6 to roll a D3 the results of 1-2 are considered to be 1, 3-4 are 2, and 5-6 are 3.

POWER-UP POOL

Each Supreme Team starts an Encounter with a Power-Up Pool equal to the Encounter Level. For example if the Encounter Level being played is 6, each Team will have a pool of 6 D3 to use to Power-Up.
These dice may be used by any friendly model as long as the above conditions are met. Each Opposed Roll may benefit from only one Power-Up. The Power-Up Pool doesn?t normally replenish itself throughout the Encounter, so once the dice are gone, your Supremes may not Power-Up in the normal way.

Some Actions will grant your models situational Power-Ups. For instance, Sgt. Bale?s Balefire Exclusive Action Powers-Up whenever a 6 is rolled. These Power-Ups are free, they never use the dice from the Power-Up Pool and cost no AP (unless noted).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:07 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
This was a change I was very pleased to see. :D

The reduced AP cost makes it such a more useful proposition with a nice limiting factor as it is a mostly finite resource (specific exceptions like Sgt. Bale etc excepted).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 93Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:59 am
I like the change to d3, it stops the power-up from being as utterly devastating. It's still a nice edge to have, but reduces the one-hit kill factor.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:35 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Nice going, I like that. Although, it won't stop me from fielding train to counter hellsmith just for the sake of powering up his a**!

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:14 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Having been using this mechanic for a while now I love it. So much easier to use, and a lot more tactical. I suggest keeping a small pile of Power Up dice on hand. When you use a Power Up roll one of the die from the pool and then discard it. Makes it easy to keep track of how much power you've got left.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:49 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Another dice pool to keep track of. . . but it seems streamlined and reduces the AP cost for more destruction and mayhem? Sounds good to me!

I like this and look forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:15 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
I was initially reluctant to see one extra pool, but in the end it cuts down the game math time, reduces overkill.
And wait till you end up with just 1 dice in your pool and still 2 rounds to go...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Having been using this mechanic for a while now I love it. So much easier to use, and a lot more tactical. I suggest keeping a small pile of Power Up dice on hand. When you use a Power Up roll one of the die from the pool and then discard it. Makes it easy to keep track of how much power you've got left.

This is the same way I have been using it - different sized dice (well, now my custom dice) for the Power-Up pool. I don't think it has slowed anything in game management, instead it has made things much more strategic and tactical as you suggest Beermonkey, as well as adding a sense of drama.

This was a very welcome change in my view.

Last edited by pulpcitizen on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 pm
HeraldPosts: 174Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm
Awesome!!

Power Up was always one of those things that confused new players and some of us who played from the beginning. I also like that it's a D3 instead of a D6.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:46 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
@Leon - you need to do some "Power Up" Dice now ;)

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:48 pm
Doctor-Warlock wrote:

I use the custom dice for exactly this purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:55 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
leonmallett wrote:
Doctor-Warlock wrote:

I use the custom dice for exactly this purpose.

Certain places that do Custom Dice, you can actually determine whats on each Face - I was thinking of a D3 (1-3 twice) with a Symbol (perhaps the Pulp City Logo) where the '3' should be!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:15 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Interesting...

I'm sure before too long we'll see a model with some way to generate new Power Up dice, that would be a dandy super power.

I do kind of agree that the game does not need to keep adding more bookkeeping though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:29 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
dboeren wrote:
I do kind of agree that the game does not need to keep adding more bookkeeping though.

Agreed, but if they are going to, just keeping x-number of different colored dice that you fire and forget is an elegant way to do it.

(Simplifying trump traits also helps. I've demoed the game a couple times now, and I always forgot to go over that.)

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:48 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 am
yeah it seems they are simplifying the overdone bookkeeping parts and adding in smarter small sets of bookkeeping. I'm for that.

Offline Profile