<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Road to Pulp City Chapter 3: Trump Traits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Two major changes here, again, aiming at being more tactical and reducing the frustration of poor rolls messing up with your plans!

Trump Re-Roll is no more. Now you got Trump Roll.
Happens in the same conditions as before BUT you need to announce if you want to roll 2d6 (instead of re-rolling) before the roll is made.
You always pick the higher roll.

The coolest change is the individual powers hailing from Trump Traits.
Instead of Actions that were used up rarely and were difficult to master and time precisely, we have mostly passive powers to go with each Trump.

:STR : Your favorite - access to Scenery Manipulation. With the new simple intuitive rules, you can throw cars, grab street lights and bash your enemies!

:DEF : Hold Ground - ability that gains more and more significance in the light of new game effects like Super Damage (if enough Damage is inflicted, models are flung into air!) - Sups with this one can't be moved against their will. And if they are Knocked Down - you may pay with Power-Up die to cancel the effect.

:ENG : Precision - these Sups suffer no chance of randomising their shots fired into Base to Base and no penalties when using Ranged Combat in Base to Base.

:AGL : Super Reflexes - agile Sups don't treat Get Up* as a Movement Action and may temporarily grant or boost themselves Blitzer Skill by paying APs.

:MND : Tactical Genius - being smart, these guys may spend their own AP to boost every Starting Roll.

:SPT : Strong Will - Incapacitated Sups still generate AP for the next Round.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Now this I really like.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:35 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
sounds good! Really can't wait to see the new rulebook! :D

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:17 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 30Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 am
I'm glad to see the trump actions simplified, I was having trouble remembering what they all were or did. Edit: found the answer to my question, my fault for being behind on Pulp City News.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:47 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
The new Trump Roll system makes game play much, much faster. You may not think so right now but play a couple games and you'll see. You roll, I roll we add it up and done. No more interuppting the outcome to Trump it. This works really well with guys like Dr. Mercury who always roll an extra die. That's right Dr. M with Anvils can Trump roll 3d6 and take the highest!! It's a very simple but profound change to the game.

I don't think we'll mention how many months and how much head banging went into that :DEF Trump ability. Truly :DEF was the Bugbear of the whole ruleset. So glad you guys are finally getting a peak at all the hard work we've put in. The rest of the changes really help reflect how a Trump ability matters in Pulp City. A.R.C. are never slowed down by Knock Down now. Iron Train is always on his feet and can't be pushed around. Ace of Wraiths is always shooting without penalty into or out of combat. So many good, good changes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:49 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Between seeing the update and getting pictures of my newly painted stuff, I am having such a Pulp City overload I am crying. Lol. This is some great changes. I like it a lot - very streamlined and going to be HUGE in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I have to say I am another fan of the reduced number of Trump Trait Benefits; before a level 1 Supreme ha 1 ablity, and Level 2 had 4 ablities, and a Level 3 had 9 ablities. Add to that the 4 exclusive actions as well as Resource actions and there was simply too much going on - this is all much more stremalined and better for gameplay in my opinion.

One of my favourites is Tactical Genius ( :MND ) since besides the obvious, more will become apparent about its significance in due course.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 am
Leon, how many of the 4 or 9 trump abilities did you actually use, though, on your level 2 and 3? Probably only 1 or 2. I'm totally in agreeance that this is a great change, especially since we don't have to look up all the additional trump abilities.

Tactical Genius is great! Oh, and I hate you because you know more than I do about the new rules. Just saying. . . :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:59 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
BountyhunterQ wrote:
Leon, how many of the 4 or 9 trump abilities did you actually use, though, on your level 2 and 3? Probably only 1 or 2. I'm totally in agreeance that this is a great change, especially since we don't have to look up all the additional trump abilities.

I think the consensus will be that a smoother game has resulted from the work of Morf, Beermonkey, Invader Larb, Larkin Vain et al.

Quote:
Tactical Genius is great! Oh, and I hate you because you know more than I do about the new rules. Just saying. . . :mrgreen:

I know nothing...

The wait will be worth it. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 pm
HeraldPosts: 174Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm
Can't wait to try this stuff out!!!

I love all the changes so far. I think I might be able to convince some more folks to get in on the game with these changes. One of the complaints was that there's too much to remember with Trump Trait actions AND the Exclusive Actions AND the Universal Actions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:27 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yup all this got a lot easier to handle. We've also simplified movement. Which has always been the hardest thing for players to get their heads around, IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:11 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Yup all this got a lot easier to handle. We've also simplified movement. Which has always been the hardest thing for players to get their heads around, IMHO.

(((Maybe the next teaser should be for the movement?)))

/poke Beermonkey
/poke Morf

Lol!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
BountyhunterQ wrote:
Beermonkey wrote:

(((Maybe the next teaser should be for the movement?)))

/poke Beermonkey
/poke Morf

Lol!

We'll have the new rules in no time if we keep getting "teasers." There wont be anything left to tease. lol

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:47 am
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
Sweet. In the few games I've played I didn't use the trump features because I was trying to make sure I understood the basic mechanics.

These rules make a lot of sense.

And getting hit so hard you fly up in the air?! So, I crash into you with Super Zed, and the shock wave sends you flying? Cooool. :D

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:19 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
The changes sound really interesting, but I am starting to get more and more convinced that it's a bad idea for me to schedule a demo in late July as I was planning to do and basically teach everyone to play wrong.

When do we expect the printed rulebooks? Are these still anticipated as a Gencon release?

I'm just thinking it would be far better to wait until I've got the book and digested all the minor changes before starting to teach people at our LGS.

Offline Profile