<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Discuss the Ulthar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:35 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Until we get new threads in the Tactics forums with their stat cards, I thought it might be handy to have a place to talk about the new Ulthar models.

Xylian, Master Sagittarius (Villain, Level 2)
A level 2 ranged Supreme with an all-around decent statline. He can Lurk and has Blend 1 so he'll make a good sniper, especially if you equip him with his custom crossbow which he can fire more than once per turn. He has Analyze which grants +1 to opposed rolls against a model, and Lure which can pull enemy models in closer to him. His team power is to redeploy up to 8" away before the game begins. His crossbow can ignore Blend, acquire BL1, or slow the target.

Overall, he seems like a decent ranged supreme and Gate will help keep him from being tied up in melee.

Gemini X and Gemini Y (Villains, Level 1)
Two Level 1 supremes that can transfer damage to each other and activate together. X can create pillars sort of like Stoner Hawk, summon an aura of concealing mist, and help heal other Ulthar which is pretty nice. Y has mind control powers, he can stop a model from activating, prevent them from generating AP, and make it harder to target Ulthar.

Between the two, I like Y better. But, you may want to consider taking both of them since they work well together.

Stormblades, Libra Sensei (Villain, Level 2)
A melee fighter with a bit of finesse, Libra has some nice abilities. He's got a 3" circular strike move, he can make a short move after hitting an opponent with no free strikes, or use his swords defensively to protect himself. He can also drag an opponent into melee from a distance, and when he dies you can eliminate him to buff other Ulthar for the remainder of the round.

I like this guy a lot. He'll work best with other Ulthar due to his team power but works well enough alone to take him just as a fighter. He's got no ranged, but he has a variety of ways to kill in melee and he can get to squishy support models to take them out.

Gorgoroth, Taurus Captain (Villain, Level 2)
Where Libra had some tricks, this guy just hits like a ton of bricks with str 7. He's got an upgraded charge action that can hit more than one model, a horn bash, and a minor healing power. His team power is part drawback, part benefit. He's at a minus to hit models that aren't scented (one of his actions), but when he gets hurt he builds up rage points that he can use on some of his abilities.

Need to try him out. He seems like a powerful beatstick but I'm not clear yet on how much trouble it will be to scent my prey first. Also, he doesn't benefit from some helpful Ulthar actions so he may actually go better with a non-Ulthar force.

Virgo (Hero/Villain, Level 2)
Another ranged fighter with the same crossbow as Sagittarius. Like him, she can make more than one shot per round. She has a pretty nice stealth action, especially against weak minds. Her melee attack is OK and helps her disengage, and she has a trap to spring on attackers. Her team power lets her consider all her actions Held against other Ulthar.

Not a bad package. I think I prefer her to Sagittarius overall but she's less of a team player and more of a solo sniper you take on her own merits.

Tritonius (Hero/Villain, Level 1)
Not technically an Ulthar, but he comes in a pack with Virgo. A pretty decent brawler for a level 1, he can hurt Spectral models and has some nice synergy with water models (friend or foe) and he gets stronger near water.

This guy would make a good partner to Seabolt I think, he definitely doesn't want to team up with any other Ulthar besides Virgo. Francis Gator would also make a good partner with the ability to create some water terrain.

Well, that's it for now. Just a brief overview - I haven't gotten the chance to actually try anyone yet. I'm sure some of the more experienced players will have some additional insights :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:53 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Hey that's a really nice breakdown of the team. Glad you like them. The Maine Pulp gang did most of the rules work on these guys. So it's kind of hard to be objective sometimes. They are a great team though. I'm a fan of all of them. Libra though is my favorite. My son did most of the work on him so I'm really proud.

In the Invasion we found Libra with X and Y to back him up did an amazing job of tying up the heroes of Heavy Metal for most of the game. I have yet to see the Perillous Pillar explode but I'm waiting. The Gemini are so good together you'll probably never want to break them up. Of course when Scorpio hits in the next wave or so...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:35 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Hey that's a really nice breakdown of the team. Glad you like them. The Maine Pulp gang did most of the rules work on these guys. So it's kind of hard to be objective sometimes. They are a great team though. I'm a fan of all of them. Libra though is my favorite. My son did most of the work on him so I'm really proud.

In the Invasion we found Libra with X and Y to back him up did an amazing job of tying up the heroes of Heavy Metal for most of the game. I have yet to see the Perillous Pillar explode but I'm waiting. The Gemini are so good together you'll probably never want to break them up. Of course when Scorpio hits in the next wave or so...

I think there will be an interesting learning dynamic around the Ulthar - all of their main options will be available pretty quickly, which is a different proposition to what we have seen with other Sub-factions with drip drip releases. Add in Devon's work on Sub-faction Agendas, and it will be fun to see how builds for Teams begin to grow, not just for the Ulthar, but within the whole game, as the range itself grows and consensus general player preferences emerge.

My Ulthar will be a while off in painting, but in the interim I think the first force I will build will probably be an L6 team of Gorgoroth, Xyllian for range with Gemini X and Y. I think I need some practice with them sooner rather than later, but so much to paint, so little time...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Hey that's a really nice breakdown of the team. Glad you like them.

Well, I knew that a lot of folks couldn't make the con and would be wondering about the Ulthar. It might be a little while before official cards went up, so I thought folks would appreciate a brief rundown to tide them over.

Beermonkey wrote:
Libra though is my favorite. My son did most of the work on him so I'm really proud.

He (LightBeermonkey?) did a good job, Libra is one of my favorites too. Not overtly powerful, but I think he'll do quite well for a creative player. Plus, the sculpt is very dynamic and I like the design of the swords. Easily recognizable as swords, but different from the kind of swords a human would be carrying. I've been wanting to see a martial arts master supreme for a while now anyway.

Beermonkey wrote:

I'll have to try that combo sometime. Scorpio sounds fun already, maybe some sort of assassin? Just guessing but it seems to fit the name. Must be a level 1 then if you'd replace a Gemini. Now I've just got to finish getting all these other new guys painted up by the time his/her box hits :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:42 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
In the Invasion we found Libra with X and Y to back him up did an amazing job of tying up the heroes of Heavy Metal for most of the game.

The twins certainly did a number on the Heavy Metal team, that was good planning on Team Ulthar's part.

dboeren wrote:
Scorpio sounds fun already,

Why thank you!

Wait, nevermind.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
The ulthar sound great!

I really really want some :(

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:28 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
darth tater wrote:
The ulthar sound great!

I really really want some :(

That's the point, right? lol

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:37 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
Lol

It works then!

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:16 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
The little guys were SO much of an annoyance to Heavy Metal. They won't do much to Blood Watch (thanks to high :SPT values). What I loved the most about the game was some really nice combos and synergies (Tritonious/Seabolt being my favorite), suicide runs with Xenobi and best of all, Androida running down the twins with the car.
Wasn't Giant Hadron fun as well? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:00 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 9Location: West Fargo, NDJoined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:31 pm
Beermonkey wrote:

I picked up Libra the next day because I had such a fun time playing him. I got to smack Iron Train in the face with a car and then tied him up in H2H for the remainder of the game. X and Y did a great job of slowing down the Heavy Metal team with their fear aura ability (I forget the name). And yes, giant Hadron is a real PITA. :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:04 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
Iam so jealous about everyone who played the ulthar. :shock: :wink:
Cant wait to get them.

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:04 am
MortalPosts: 16Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:26 am
I bought the anti-Ulthar set of "anti-heroes" (hero/villian doesn't have the same ring to it). Both sculpts look great as does the card art. Virgo looks like she is the Savage Dragon's little sister with the fin mohawk and high tech weapon. Tritonious' Tidal power seems pretty cool.

Offline Profile