<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Binding issues?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 93Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:59 am
Hi guys,

I got my Pulp Guide last night, and while it looks absolutely fantastic, the binding is in a pretty bad state (it feels ready to fall apart, and I've only have a brief skim through it). Is this just a one-off issue, or was there a problem with a batch of them?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:42 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
The binding on my copies are a bit lose to allow it to fold open but are otherwise very solid. I haven't heard of any other problems you might have gotten a bad copy. That woud stink. If it does fall apart get a hold of Morf. Peronally I've been thrilled with my copies. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:48 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 93Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:59 am
I'll see how it travels after a good read through. It's very cool to have though, the artwork is outstanding, and it looks like between a couple of us we've got a few more local club members thanks to the book!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:56 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Glad to hear it's bringing in new players. The art and layout really are dynamite. Melvin really went above and beyond with it. I think it's an amazing improvement from the orginal rules we had. It's clean fun and versitile. Don't worry we've got plenty more on the way too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:44 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 12Location: Groningen, the NetherlandsJoined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm
The book is a real treat to look at. Great graphics and layout. Some pages are a bit on the dark side with the black font, but manageable.

But I must agree the binding is not very good. As soon as I opened my book, I could see the binding slowly giving away. It's still intact, but with every read it degrades. I think that soon pages will fall out. So for a second run, I'd suggest a different and stronger binding.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:41 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
I noticed that, too. . .

However, I've taken the book to work and back several times in my backpack and it gets beat up in there for sure (between two guns, a radio, thermos, and lunch). . . then for when I'm at lunch I keep it in my duty bag where even more abuse occurs. . .

It has held together so far, the binding feels off, but nothing is coming loose. Is this possibly intentional to help the book lay flat when it is opened?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:41 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
My covers have a definite bend to them, but no pages seem to be threatening to fall out.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:30 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I put mine between two very heavy books (one on the Napoleonic Wars and another about Ancient Greece) in the airing cupboard all day) flattened it a treat.

The Pages are "nicely" loose IMHO, easier for reference that way - but the binding is sturdy.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:11 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Hi Guys,
I will look into it - no falling apart for the 10 books that circulate and see the game use in my environment. After Christmas, I'll gather your feedback and get it to printers, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:00 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
My ONLY issue with the Book is Page 67, its near impossible to read black writing on a dark-ish blue background with my Tired Old Eyes . . . .

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:26 am
MortalPosts: 1Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:40 am
Are you still collecting feedback/complaints about the binding?

I ordered a copy from The Warstore last week, and it arrived today and the binding is a bit worrisome, to the point that I think I either need to have it reglued or I'm going to have to cut the two pages holding it to the cover and recut the pages for one of those plastic binders.

I feel bad about registering and having my first post being complaining about the book, so let me try to balance that out a bit. The book looks very nice (except for the binding), and I'm looking forward to reading through it and knocking stuff around. But maybe you need to yell at your printer a bit.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:38 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
solkan wrote:
Are you still collecting feedback/complaints about the binding?

I ordered a copy from The Warstore last week, and it arrived today and the binding is a bit worrisome, to the point that I think I either need to have it reglued or I'm going to have to cut the two pages holding it to the cover and recut the pages for one of those plastic binders.

I feel bad about registering and having my first post being complaining about the book, so let me try to balance that out a bit. The book looks very nice (except for the binding), and I'm looking forward to reading through it and knocking stuff around. But maybe you need to yell at your printer a bit.

Hi Solkan,

Take a digital image of the problem and then let Morf know. Contact him via PM or email and go from there.

Sorry for the issue. However, how is the rest of the content? :D

What do you think about the hardcover and COLOR book besides binding?

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:07 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Again, I know what you mean about the binding, but since having my book, I have definitely put it through the paces - I keep it in my bag at work and sometimes pull it out for some reading... it gets banged around A LOT and I've not had any issues with pages coming loose or the binding worsening. I like that it is a little looser, that way it can lay open fairly flat on the tabletop when gaming. But yes, PM Morph a picture.