<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Very Subjective Morf's 2010 in Review

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:26 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Hello Pulp Citizens,
Leon inspired me to post my year in review. The guys will probably follow up on this, but let me take the lead.

Overall, 2010 was as difficult as successful. Blood, sweat and tears vs. happy dances and cheering.

THE GAME:
The obvious highlight is getting the book out. For a miniaturre company a rulebook is a highest form of commitment to what they are doing. It's like going from being engaged to getting married ;)
I see we got instantly new players and some of the early adopters are coming back.

THE BUSINESS:

It is a one rough year. I still managed to keep the sales up and new SKUs sell at about 150% of what they have been selling in the previous year. On the other hand, all possible costs went up, since we've started in 2008, everything went up by at least 50%.
Current business model assumes that we need to sell 300 pieces of each SKU through distribution to make our money back. That is a normal figure from my experience in the skirmish market, still pretty scary.
Of course, the direct sales help a lot. I mean, as much as I would love to say that LGS keep the game alive, it is the direct flow from you Customers.
That is what helps us getting new stuff out.

THE MINIATURES:

The book and all other costs drained a lot of resources and energy, but we still managed to get 25 miniatures out this year, an average of 2 per month.
I'm hoping to get those numbers slightly up but nothing in the way of the overhaul.
The absolute bestseller - Kitty Cheshire and Vector. For the first time any box contended the A.R.C. supremacy. On average, the duo managed to already outsell all of the boxes except for Starters, Chimp Chi and Apebot.

THE FUTURE:

I got literally a whole box of new greens, now we need to catch up with painting them. What can you expect?
Lots of vigilantes of all sorts. A major flow of both Villains and Heroes from far far East. New starters. Some monsters to match Hadron's might. New starters. Some foreigners coming from Europe to Pulp City, including a citizien of Albion (just in time for Salute 2011) as well as a Polish turned into an avatar of a Slavic god. New starters. Lycanthropes.

Did I say new starters? Yes. Once the old ones sellout (i.e. I have no printed boxes left), some minis will get retired, some will become online only.
New starters will be Level 5 three miniature boxes, no subfaction, simple but efficient gameplay and the representation of all 3 origins in each of them.
They will probably have a very nice pricetag and kick-ass miniatures that are super easy to put together.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I think Bob dersves the credit... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:50 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Very much looking forward to seeing some of the new figs soon :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
I'm really interested in the idea of new starters! Level 5 teams are a great idea and having a few different sets would make it easier to bring people into this game.

Will be there any pre-notification of any miniatures that might go completely out of production? Just to give us one last shot at ordering them, if desired.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:54 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
leonmallett wrote:

I do have this about half done at the moment... :D

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
I am glad to hear about all the new stuff coming up this year. I plan to be a booth Monkey again at Gen Con this year for you, hopefully for more hours than last year. Can't wait to see all the new models!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:41 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
leonmallett wrote:

:oops:

Yup, that is right. See - my mind is starting to sliiiiiippppp!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Morf wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

:oops:

Yup, that is right. See - my mind is starting to sliiiiiippppp!

No slipping allowed! :twisted:

The upcoming stuff does sound great; you know I love the range and can't wait to see more of course. :)

With the overwhelming popularity of Kitty & Vector, can we hope for more Otherside goodness?