<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Official Pulp City: A Look Back at 2010 and Contest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:22 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Pulp Monsters 2010: A Look Back

2010 found Pulp Monsters producing more miniatures for Pulp City on both sides, as well as introducing a new book release, previewing up-coming Supremes, releasing Supreme Genesis contest winners and more besides.

2010 saw the release of several of our favorites, including all of the following, in no particular order:

Lady Cyburn
Grimm
Hulking
Digger
Elder

Jade Hawk
Skyline
Virgo
Tritonious
Ulthar
Gemini X & Gemini Y
Taurus
Sagitarius
Libra

Silverager
Supreme Zed
Le Murtiple
Captain Hadron & Mini Hadron
Sanguine & Draku
Vector
Kitty Cheshire

Pulp Monsters runs a regular Supreme Genesis contest where fans get to design their own Supreme, and from the contest new Supremes are given form. For 2010, we had Jade Hawk and Skyline. Jade Hawk came from our friend, Invader Larb (Matt Randy), who left us all too early in 2010. Skyline was designed by Kurt White. The remaining winning entries are in various stages of design.

Also, 2010 introduced elements of new Sub-factions: alien invaders the Ulthar; hints of the lost residents of Ashville Asylum, now known as the Otherside, as seen by the appearance of Kitty Cheshire; Grimm rising from down below the streets of Pulp City.

One the monster level, Morf promised he’d look into getting a Giant Hadron miniature made. Lo and behold, it came to pass; Morf responded to fan requests on this one and delivered the goods. We now have a Giant Hadron mini on an 80mm base and standing approximately 120mm tall!

At Gen Con in 2010, we had the Ulthar invasion which pitted several teams of Supremes, both good and bad, against an invading force of aliens known as the Ulthars. In addition, 2010 saw the first year for a Pulp City tournament, which was well attended. Pulp Monsters shared booth space with friends Darkson Designs and Cipher Studios. Both were great neighbors and a blast to share a booth with.

Further development of the Pulp City storyline was released throughout the forums, blog interviews, and more through 2010. Some hints revealed that the fight for Pulp City is not just a regional thing, but bigger. The Supremes will meet new and old friends alike as big trouble comes from the East to emerge in Little Asia. New Little Asia-themed Supremes will be introduced while a new concept will also be introduced: Pulp Monsters.

You can’t have super heroes, bad guys, and shady characters without some giant monsters rampaging across the horizon. With the battle beginning to rage in Little Asia, some big Monsters will soon appear with the release of the first Pulp City Annual; which has been mentioned off and on in 2010.

2010 also saw the almost complete development of the current members of the Ape Revolution Committee, also known as A.R.C. We’re still missing at least one release, but there may be more. As already stated, A.R.C. will have a unique leadership pattern, with Primates of Power (each representing one of the Origins) “upgrading” Level 2 simians into Level 3 leaders!

The crowning achievement for 2010 was the release of the Pulp City Guide. A comprehensive and complete rulebook for taking your Supreme fights to the next level. Within this hardbound full-color book you’ll find new ways to develop scenarios for your clashes, including Plots and Agendas. Plots are over arcing scenarios that the Supremes fight over while developing a comprehensive story and reason for your fights within Pulp City. Agendas are team specific scenarios. While focusing on the Plots, each team has their own goals that they try to achieve within the structure of the game.

Also within the covers of Pulp City Guide are new previews and hints of Supremes and Minions still to come: Papa Zombie; Mechaspartans; more Grimm; Loup Garou II; Avatar of the Jaguar; Deadliner; Aquarius Warlord and many, many more. We will be seeing some of the familiar Heroes and Villains coming back in new guises and some of them having to face their dreaded nemeses. 2011 promises to be a year in which the ranks of many Sub-factions will be swelled.

Finally, within the last few pages of the Pulp City Guide, Morf let slip a new game and miniature line that is totally unrelated to Pulp City - Reaver Lords. This promises to be a fantasy game that at once is and is not a skirmish game, but more than that we do not know - yet. The miniatures that will accompany the release are very different from the styling of Pulp City - much darker and brooding.

Last but not least, is a look ahead to 2011. A couple of previews from the Pulp City work bench.
Quarrel:

Meteor:

Contest time!
Since Quarrel has lost his cross bow and now simply uses a bow, Morf thought it was fitting to have a "renaming" contest.

If you can come up with a cool new name for Quarrel, post it here. There might be something special for the person who comes up with the name Quarrel ends up taking!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Wow. Nice. Quarrel looks amazing! With his mask he reminds me of Zorro, so I think a Spanish appellation would be appropriate.

How about...

ARQUERO

Arq [bows-and-arrows-esque] + -(h)ero [evoking a Supreme feel, not because he's just a hero!]

And the UFO Club (whatever their new name is) look great too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
OMG - I SWEAR a little bit of wee came out looking at all that!

Calamus is Arrow in Latin (Arrow being the equivalent of Quarrel), which has a nice ring to it (I did think of "Archer" in Latin, but its "fornicatus" LMAO)!

Though, to pick a PROPER name - surely we would need a little "fluff" to work with

Archer is sometimes seen as an anglicized version of the German name Schütze, meaning "shooter" - Shooter could be kinda cool too!

A "toxophilite" is an expert at Archery, so how about "Toxo"!

Following the Zorro "motif", Zorro is spanish for crafty or fox - so how about "The Fox", or "The Black Fox" (or another colour if you want a colour prefix to his name).

LOVE the Meteor Crew (or whoever they are LoL)!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:44 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
I'm gonna go with Fletcher.

Reason being:

fletcher

"arrow-maker," early 14c. (as a surname attested from 1203), from O.Fr. flechier , from fleche "arrow," probably from Frankish *fliugica (cf. O.Low Ger. fliuca , M.Du. vliecke ).

Besides it sounds cool.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:12 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 am
Good stuff, though I still can't seem to get the rulebook here anywhere in the states, very frustrating.

As far as Quarrel's new name, I will nominate Pinpoint as my suggestion.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:17 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
(I did think of "Archer" in Latin, but its "fornicatus" LMAO)!

someone is pulling your leg... Fornicatus means arched or vaulted, not archer. Bow in Latin is arcus. There's always Sagittarius...

For me, both Archer and Fletcher sound like the names of his mild-mannered alter ego.

Pinpoint I like, but I think it seems a little light-weight compared to the picture. He looks heavier set than that, methinks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:54 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Cilionelle wrote:
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
(I did think of "Archer" in Latin, but its "fornicatus" LMAO)!

someone is pulling your leg... Fornicatus means arched or vaulted, not archer. Bow in Latin is arcus. There's always Sagittarius...

For me, both Archer and Fletcher sound like the names of his mild-mannered alter ego.

Pinpoint I like, but I think it seems a little light-weight compared to the picture. He looks heavier set than that, methinks.

IT ACTUALLY depends on the conjugation of the verbs whether it means arched or vaulted.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:49 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Fornicato, fornicatas, fornicatant...

Did I get them right?

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 am
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
IT ACTUALLY depends on the conjugation of the verbs whether it means arched or vaulted.

The good news being that we don't have to have a Supreme named the Fornicator... :oP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 am
varagon wrote:
Fornicato, fornicatas, fornicatant...

Did I get them right?

Smart-Arse LoL!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:16 am
Cilionelle wrote:
Doctor-Warlock wrote:

The good news being that we don't have to have a Supreme named the Fornicator... :oP

HOW FUNNY would that be LoL!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:17 am
MortalPosts: 5Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 pm
You must be as Zen as can be to be an efficient lightning arrow man.....

Kyudo

Named after the ancient japanese art

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 44Location: Auckland, New ZealandJoined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:30 am
Aw man, everyone is coming up with great ideas. The first thing that came to my mind was 'Quiver', the bow equivilent of Quarrel.

As for Sagittarius, that's already taken by one of the Tritons.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:02 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 48Location: Barcelona, SpainJoined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:41 pm
WOW! Quarrel's WIP is a dream come true!

For the name contest I'll go for LONGBOW. I know it's not very original but I like how it sounds.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 249Location: Gatineau, CanadaJoined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm
He could be named TARGET or EAGLE EYE, getting a bit of fluff on him would be great though :)