<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Pulp Monsters Project Log - Update: Body Shots!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:15 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
This is probably the craziest thing I've ever done. As the rules for bringing the monsters to the table are fleshing out, we are working on the Monster Set that will make not just the PC fans happy!
Combining the talents of Melvin de Voor who designed a very simple and effective system for customizing the Monster experience and Adam Grabowski, the Monster Master Sculptor, the set is starting to look fantastic.

IF you haven't seen Adam's work, google him. I was floored by his skills in texturing the sculpt's surface. I expect some fantastic results given the subject.

What will you get in the set? You will be able to buy a Monster by choosing only the bits you want. The Pulp Monsters will stand roughly 6 inches, towering over Giant Hadron.
The way the slotting system works provides unlimited options of customizing. For starters, you will have a selection to choose from:

- 4 heads: ancient evil, monster from the depths, demon and reptilan
- Claws or a weapon hand
- optional tail
- optional wings

I'll be updating you as we go! Take a look at some of the already scheduled options and some potentials ones (we can keep addding them!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
:shock:

I have seen the stuff Devon has been cooking up (and it is great work - hudos to Devon), and now I get to see a hint of wheer the Monsters 'minis' are at; I am very, very excited!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:02 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 37Location: Karlsruhe (germany)Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:03 pm
Well, when I look at all of this, I think I will buy all of the parts... and a big pack of magnets. :mrgreen:

By the way: that would be very, very cool if you could add this to the design. I mean small holes fitting for neodyn magnets.

I think that the community would greatly approve the idea. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
YES, YES, YES!!!! I cannot wait for this, those look awesome!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:02 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Andarion wrote:
Well, when I look at all of this, I think I will buy all of the parts... and a big pack of magnets. :mrgreen:

By the way: that would be very, very cool if you could add this to the design. I mean small holes fitting for neodyn magnets.

I think that the community would greatly approve the idea. :D

What size do the typical magnets come in?
We do have a slot system but why not make it better with magnets?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:50 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 37Location: Karlsruhe (germany)Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:03 pm
Well, that varies.

First of, I have a typo there. It's neodym (with a "m") magnets. :wink:

Smalest size I found were round, 1mm diameter and 1mm height and should have the power for holding 25 g. From there it goes in 1mm-steps to bigger sizes where height varies.

Privateer Press used a System on their latest Everblight Warlock for Hordes. It comes with a Warbeast and the option to meld the two (Warlock & Beast) together. So they made two chest parts for the beast, added 1 neodym magnet which is glued at the beasts body and two small metall plates glued one on each chest. So during game you can swap the chest parts to represent that the two are seperated or not.

Holds good so far, alas two magnets would habe been stronger I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 pm
The small wings would hold, but the heads and tail will heavier. Maybe 25g would do though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
The 1mm ones are really to tiny & I found that 2mm ones were mostly not quite adequate. OK for fists but while they hold thing on they do not stop them rotating.

I would aim for 3mm or 5 mm ones. Pairs of 3mm ones in longer joins like maybe on wings woud be good (or 2mm if they are paired). Single 3mm one for hands - but again while they would hold the part on some of those bits look heavy enough & long enough that they might then flop under their own weight so 3mm may not be good enough.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:02 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
I used 1/4" ones on my Warjacks arms and 1/8" on their heads. I also magnetized my Tyranids and trust me with the heavier resin, we will need the 1/4" ones. The 1/8" ones I used on my Hivelords metal arms are really not enough, but there was no way to use bigger and not have to re-sculpt part of the arms with greenstuff.

I would almost prefer just a couple of smaller holes that will line up and then drill out according to the size I wanted to use. My 2 coppers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:25 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Truly, we live in exciting times.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:02 pm
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
So should we start the Pulp Monster interest poll (just like with Giant Hadron) now, or when you know more about the contents and a guess at price?

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:32 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
abbysdad wrote:
So should we start the Pulp Monster interest poll (just like with Giant Hadron) now, or when you know more about the contents and a guess at price?

I don't think we need to worry about a poll - this is happening with lots of options! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm
Told you Adam is the textures master, don't you think?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:04 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Do you want us to just send cash by mail now or would you prefer credit card numbers by e-mail?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:10 pm
That looks amazing, I can't wait to see the rest of it!!!