<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Direct Only discussion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:38 pm
MortalPosts: 12Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:33 pm
Quote:
- buy at LGS and once in a while place a direct order for direct minis and pay small shipping fee.

This is the one that I would be happiest with. As a retailer, I might stock a Giant Hadron mini, but at $80+ US, I would not expect it to move. I agree that there needs to be online only products. I would just like to see 'Direct' as opposed to 'Convention Exclusive'.

Quote:
Now some math: With each 14 Euro box sold to distribution we end up seeing usually around 5,6 Euro. At least 3 Euro will go into the direct production costs (i.e. eveything you get as a Customer). The rest will have to "feed" the artists (painter, concept, sculpt), molding, warehousing, internet costs etc. The distribution sales would have to go beyond 500 sold copies to break even.

Thanks for this. I've been running a game store for 14+ years and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a Manufacturer to break down their expenses. It's like some big guarded secret. We know that there has to be at least some profit for them or they couldn't keep the business going. Try to get this info from WotC. You'll be on the phone for hours and then get 'dropped' due to a computer hiccup.

Quote:
- buy at LGS, promote it and skip direct models

I can see the advantage of this and I wouldn't fault you if you made the switch. I guess the big question is 'How many direct orders are you getting for each sculpt?'. I don't know what the standard order is for a retail store, but when a new Supreme comes out, we order 4+. I think I could increase it, but I've been hesitant to really push Pulp City while I was waiting for the rulebook to come out. I've started a few demos since then and I feel that I can pull in a few more players. I'm still teaching my 'Alpha Gamers', but once I get them on board, it could really open up for us.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:44 pm
As a side note, I know that Pulp City is distributed through Alliance Game Dist. in the U.S. Are you planning to attend the retail summit on October 9 & 10? I know that it's a huge expense to go all the way to Indiana for this, but it would let you talk directly to the retailers. If it is something that you are interested in, I'm sure Seabolt could store your equipment after GenCon and bring it to the summit. I'll make sure he goes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
If it helps Morf has mentioned that for each model sold directly through the webstore hes makes roughly 2 to 3 times what he would by selling through distribution. Give his math that means rather than needing to sell 500 copies to break even he only has to sell maybe 200 or so copies through direct sales.

When all is said and done I want to support my local store but I also want to see Pulp Monsters continue. So for me I like the idea of getting regular releases at my local store and then order direct from him for the direct only minis. Besides if I had a large crew I'd just order in mass and save shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:14 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
evilbread wrote:
Thanks for this. I've been running a game store for 14+ years and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a Manufacturer to break down their expenses. It's like some big guarded secret. We know that there has to be at least some profit for them or they couldn't keep the business going. Try to get this info from WotC. You'll be on the phone for hours and then get 'dropped' due to a computer hiccup.

The costs spread for big guys is a bit different. The sculpting cost is almost nothing, lost in the sale volumes. They are much more production-costs-efficiency aware.
I see no point in hiding that info. Transparency of the business can shed some light on issues sometimes overlooked by gamers. Not that they need to be aware of them, but it sometimes helps. It's a small world and the stats and quotes are more or less the same for all small companies.

Quote:

I can see the advantage of this and I wouldn't fault you if you made the switch. I guess the big question is 'How many direct orders are you getting for each sculpt?'. I don't know what the standard order is for a retail store, but when a new Supreme comes out, we order 4+.

As long as the proportion of 2 units through retail to 1 unit direct is there, we are afloat. A miniature that crosses the 200+100 mark is pretty much safe. Some do it in 2 months. Some ... not yet. Direct minis are the only fair game I can play with retail. I would consider occassional/seasonal promotions of dropping the price to 50% a real blast for the Customers, at the same time it would make us not viable and trustworthy for any LGS that puts effort into promoting the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:05 am
Its June 1st.

When are the April releases going to be at the Distributors?

-Evilbread

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:35 pm
I saw that e-figures is going to start carrying Pulp City. They also have the April releases and a few newer peices listed for preorder. Any idea when they should get their stock?

-Evilbread

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:17 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Fully stocked as of 1st of August!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:41 pm
Quote:
Fully stocked as of 1st of August!

... and its going fast! Some codes are already sold out!

Awesome!

Offline Profile