<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Help on Proxying for Testing.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:16 pm
MortalPosts: 14Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:07 pm
Ok, so right now, the area I live in has people playing WHFB, WH40K, War Machine, and Malifaux. Firestorm Armada, Flames of War... actually, a lot of miniatures wargaming goes on in San Antonio, heh.

I've been interested in Pulp City for a long time, but I've never been anywhere where anyone played. So... I'm thinking about trying to get some people in the area interested via my own efforts.

However, not wanting to drop the money and find out no one else is interested, I've decided to try proxying the miniatures from the starter boxes, as you can download the cards from the starter box, as well as the rules, and try it out.

I noticed in the rules it's mentioned a few times about base sizes of the miniatures. What base size do each of the starter box minis have? And, any kind of problems I'll run into with this proxy battle?

If it turns out I like it, I'll pick up the two starters and start trying to get others interested....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:35 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Welcome,
nope, no problems.

All are on lipped 30 mm bases save for Guerilla, Zombie Wolf, Hellsmith and Iron Train who are on 40 mm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
PS: if you like it, I highly encourage picking up two expansion boxes you like and playing them even instead of starters.
You may already start building a themed force, much more than with the starters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Welcome to Pulp City Morfedel! Glad to have you here. If the owner of the game say try out some proxies I guess you should get on it! Try picking up some bargain basement HeroClix re-base them and you'll have some good models to start with. If you invest in Pulp City you can use those Clix as Minions and custom sidekicks for the real models. Just some thoughts to get your brain working.

As Morf said jumping right in with the more expensive Starter boxes may not be the best way to start. If you're serious investing in the rules and a couple of the expansion boxes that you really like might be the best way to go. Just look to make sure you have an equal number of Level 1 and Level 2 Supremes and you should be all set.
I think having a printed Rulebook will help you when it comes time to sell the game to friends. A lot of gamers won't think about a new game without a rulebook on hand.

Wish you the best of luck! If you have any questions ask away. We're always glad to help! Once again welcome to Pulp City.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:07 am
Thanks for the help. Is the downloadable rulebook up-to-date?

Also, much as I hate to ask this question, how is Pulp City doing? I see a lot of war games played, but I dont know anyone playing this one, and I'd hate to buy into it as it was going out of business, heh!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
No those are really not bad questions to ask. The online rules are not up to date. With the release of our printed rules a large number of changes have been made. In general the games has been streamlined cleaned up and expanded to result in faster and more tactical game play. We added the BOOM rules to create custom Minions from any model you have lying around.

This is not to say that download won't give you a good game. What's there is still the heart of the system but a LOT has been enhanced and clarified since then. So give it a go a few times and look in the rules section there is a thread regarding updates to the rules that will make your life easier if you're just starting out. My suggestion is proxy a game or two with the OLD rules and see if you like what it does. If you're thinking it's for you get the rule book and a couple of expansion set. Say a Hero and Villain box that contains a Level 1 and Level 2 Supreme.

We're doing fine just fine! We've got a TON of new minis ready to go. Cards in final editing master are done. So the next year will see a lot more and more consistent releases. We've got our supplement that "should" be out be years end that introduces the Monsters. Think a team of Supremes vs. Godzilla, or Cthulu and you're right there. We are re-doing the Starter boxes to be smaller, read affordable. New starters will include Supremes of all Origins and the work well together but are "simple". No complicated Actions or weird synergies to learn. So that will be very exciting to get new people into the game.

So no we're not going ANYWHERE. In addition to all that we're going to begin work on a second game system in a whole other genre next year as well.

Add to all that we have a friend of the game re-working our Herald demo team and we're looking at more expansive marketing for the game in general. So LOT of stuff going on for a 2 man company and it's loyal fans!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:34 am
Beermonkey wrote:
No those are really not bad questions to ask. The online rules are not up to date. With the release of our printed rules a large number of changes have been made. In general the games has been streamlined cleaned up and expanded to result in faster and more tactical game play. We added the BOOM rules to create custom Minions from any model you have lying around.

This is not to say that download won't give you a good game. What's there is still the heart of the system but a LOT has been enhanced and clarified since then. So give it a go a few times and look in the rules section there is a thread regarding updates to the rules that will make your life easier if you're just starting out. My suggestion is proxy a game or two with the OLD rules and see if you like what it does. If you're thinking it's for you get the rule book and a couple of expansion set. Say a Hero and Villain box that contains a Level 1 and Level 2 Supreme.

Of course, the mini I'm most interested is Hadron, but buying him AND his size-changed version... whew! :)

Any suggestions on where to get cars, lamp posts, etc, for terrain? There's a lot of modern style buildings around because of the 40k crowd, but that generally doesn't include cars, hehe!

Or a road for that matter. I saw a video, that had a road on it. Looked nice. :)

Quote:
We're doing fine just fine! We've got a TON of new minis ready to go. Cards in final editing master are done. So the next year will see a lot more and more consistent releases. We've got our supplement that "should" be out be years end that introduces the Monsters. Think a team of Supremes vs. Godzilla, or Cthulu and you're right there. We are re-doing the Starter boxes to be smaller, read affordable. New starters will include Supremes of all Origins and the work well together but are "simple". No complicated Actions or weird synergies to learn. So that will be very exciting to get new people into the game.

I meant to tease you here. I've noticed several times in your store where you have two miniatures in a package thats .01 more than buying the two separate.

Take the set for Dead Eye and the Vigilantes: 17.99 euro

Vs the two separate: Dead Eye 7.99 + the vigilantes 9.99 for a total of 17.98.

Just noticed that, and thought it was funny.

Of course, the starter boxes actually are a lot cheaper than buying the minis individually, but if you really think I should go with only two minis per side:

I like Hadron, but I'm not buying him without his bigger "partner," so I'll hold back. I like Chronin Ripose, Arquero, a level 2 and 2 level 1s; I was going to say Supreme Zed, but I need another level 2, so either Sanguine or Tangent. I'm thinking Tangent, I'll have a Weapon Master theme, break them up into two sides for a test, and....

Quote:
So no we're not going ANYWHERE. In addition to all that we're going to begin work on a second game system in a whole other genre next year as well.

Add to all that we have a friend of the game re-working our Herald demo team and we're looking at more expansive marketing for the game in general. So LOT of stuff going on for a 2 man company and it's loyal fans!

If I like the game, I'll volunteer to join in as a herald.

Do we get free models? *whistles innocently*

By the way, Morf, your name is nearly as cool as mine. Since I've been using this handle for ten years, I wonder if you stole yours from mine. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Who knows about the new Herald program.... :D

Either way, glad you are here, hope you have fun, and keep asking questions!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:39 am
OK let's see Sanguine is a good choice for a hero as he is both a Level 1 and Level 2. Plus he's got some really nice synergy with Super Zed. Tangent is another REALLY fun choice, but she's fickle when she works she's is amazing then when lady luck frowns.... well

Can't speak to the prices, not my department. I don't make any money anyway.

As for Terrain. The Fat Dragon Capitol City set is great for card stock city terrain. Plus it's pdf print what you want so can be very cheap. Also they're good guys.

For cars Toys R' US or Drug Stores have a lot of nice 1:32 or even 1:48 scale cars that work nice. 1:32 is ideal but depending on the vehicle 1:48 works. Also check Model Rail Road supplies or pick up some Plastic Ville O scale buildings from ebay. They are great in Pulp City.

As for the new Herald thing that's in the hands of others. I've got my plate full with work, school, family, and writing and rules work. I'm sure our man Bubba will have something for us soon. HURRY UP BUBBA!! :mrgreen:

Morf beign the guy he is I would imagine that Herald will get some nice benifits from things. Can't say what exactly but I'm sure it'll be cool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:25 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 34Location: LiverpoolJoined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm
I got my cars from Toys r us and they look good. As for street furniture I've orderd some from http://www.fenrisgames.com/home.html but is hasnt arrived yet so i cant comment on how good it looks. I orginally used the Fat dragon card stock terrain, and me and my friends have had fun on it, but now i've changed my buildings to http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/ stuff, mainly due to the fact i take my terrain with me to differnt clubs and such.
here is an image of it so far

then search for the Liverpool Gamers Commune on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/139362752539/
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 am
Wow Kombine that looks great! Get some paint on it and post more pics. Better yet a review of the terrain. We're always looking for new stuff like that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 34Location: LiverpoolJoined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm actually happy with the colour of the buildings!! Just plan to paint the doors and the "street tiles" and i think they will look good, but not decided yet.

Pulp Citizen did a review of this in his blog, thats where i heard about them and decided to order the stuff.

then search for the Liverpool Gamers Commune on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/139362752539/
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:44 am
Combine: you said you switched because you take your terrain with you. Does Fat Dragon's terrain not travel well?

Also, which scale did you use for your buildings from Sarissa, looks like 28mm scale.... Pulp city is 32mm, isn't it? Well, it doesn't look like it matters much, based on your pic, just wanted to make sure, hehe!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:51 am
And hey, the buildings look great, but how do you do the sidewalks and streets? Sorry, I'm new to terrain, and I have to tell you, I'm actually more interested in terrain making than model painting, lol!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:54 pm
Actually, while I was joking about the free stuff for being a herald, I'll admit, the groups here play a lot of minis games - I live in San Antonio, the greater city region has 2 million people - but if I like it, anything to help me attract more people would be great, hehe!

Hm. You know, it might be a lot of fun to model the Riverwalk. Is there rules for fighting in a body of water, lakes, rivers, etc? I might model the Riverwalk here in San Antonio for a battle. That might be fun! LOL!

Offline Profile