<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Help on Proxying for Testing.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:56 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
First off... New herald program coming? Awesome!

Second, if you want some cool terrain pieces for your city, armorcast has a great selection of mailboxes, dumpsters and vending machines which are great for cover, but more importantly, hurling at the heads of your enemies!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:08 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
water terrain offers some interesting options as Difficult (or even Dangerous is really deep maybe) terrain when models like Tritonious and Seabolt are in play; add in resources like Nature's Boon and suddenly a number of terrain option are on offer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:56 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Morfedel wrote:
Actually, while I was joking about the free stuff for being a herald, I'll admit, the groups here play a lot of minis games - I live in San Antonio, the greater city region has 2 million people - but if I like it, anything to help me attract more people would be great, hehe!

Hm. You know, it might be a lot of fun to model the Riverwalk. Is there rules for fighting in a body of water, lakes, rivers, etc? I might model the Riverwalk here in San Antonio for a battle. That might be fun! LOL!

Some models do have rules for using water- Francis Gator, Seabolt, etc. However, having a predominantly water based bored will limit those supremes who can't fly or levitate. Of course, that may be the goal in a swamp or watery setting. :D

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 pm
MortalPosts: 14Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:07 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
water terrain offers some interesting options as Difficult (or even Dangerous is really deep maybe) terrain when models like Tritonious and Seabolt are in play; add in resources like Nature's Boon and suddenly a number of terrain option are on offer.

Since I have neither the game, nor the minis, yet, could you give me an idea of what each mini does as far as water-based stuff? Also, what does Natures boon do?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm
varagon wrote:
Morfedel wrote:
Actually, while I was joking about the free stuff for being a herald, I'll admit, the groups here play a lot of minis games - I live in San Antonio, the greater city region has 2 million people - but if I like it, anything to help me attract more people would be great, hehe!

Hm. You know, it might be a lot of fun to model the Riverwalk. Is there rules for fighting in a body of water, lakes, rivers, etc? I might model the Riverwalk here in San Antonio for a battle. That might be fun! LOL!

Some models do have rules for using water- Francis Gator, Seabolt, etc. However, having a predominantly water based bored will limit those supremes who can't fly or levitate. Of course, that may be the goal in a swamp or watery setting. :D

It won't be predominantly water. The river walk of Dan Antonio is a large area of the downtown and a major tourist trap. If you were to go downtown, you'd take one of the several flights of steps to a rather long sunken area. That area has sidewalks on both sides of the river going to and down, taking a branch or two. Along the sidewalks are a large variety of stores, mostly restaurants, and some hotels mostly expensive. Bridges cross over he riverwalk in a variety of places, and as well, since the river goes for many city blocks underneath quite a few streets, you cM simply go upstairs on one side, cross the street, and come down on the other.

As a matter of fact, the area in particular I have in mind is a branch, a 3 way intersection almost, at the river, with two or three bridges, as well as two or three spots for going upstairs, across a street and back down again.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:06 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 34Location: LiverpoolJoined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm
Morfedel: Yes the buildings are 28mm but from most games i've played unless you look real close its hard to see the scale difference (Infact i have 15mm scale buidling i use in infinity all the time and only when i tell people do they notice!!)

The roads are from the fat dragon capitol city set, glued down to some foamboard (A2 Size i belive), The Fat dragon paper craft travels ok, but I wanted something more sturdy myself (It was always going to be tempory for me that stuff), a good board and some well painted minis draws people over to see your game all the time. In fact last monday at the new gaming/cafe i had lots of people intrested in watching our game.

then search for the Liverpool Gamers Commune on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/139362752539/
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:20 pm
Hm. It looks like the cheap, short route might be the Fat Dragon stuff, with the other stuff for later on.

Ok then, I'll probably pick up the rules, a few minis, and the Fat Dragon Capital City software pack.

Tell me... would it be possible for someone to tell me specifically which minis, resources, etc have water-specific rules, and a general explanation of what their water specific rules are? I ask because I think I'm going to craft a specific scenario centered around the Riverwalk area of downtown, which should appeal to the locals.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:42 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
For some links to free paper-craft terrain have a look at my blog for plenty of links.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:21 am
Thanks for the link, I'll go exploring.

What's the purpose of even bothering with exclusive hero resources? I mean, I was looking at the cards that go with the hero and villain starter boxes, and I noticed this:

Ace of Wraiths has 2 exclusive items, iron train has 1, red riding hoodoo has 1, solar has one, with their total levels equal to 6 of the 8 resource points they are allowed to have.

The villains have a net total of 9, with Gentleman granting a bonus point.

Why bother? I mean, if a hero or villain is going to have exclusive resources, why even bother having the separate. Just list their items' abilities on their same card and have a separate stat that says "this character also costs x resources."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:49 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Options. Sometimes a bonus from a another character or item will preclude you taking the unique resources.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:08 am
Ok. cool. So, let me see if I have this right:

Gentleman has Living Arsenal 1 and Weapon Master 2, as well as Resourceful 1. Resourceful 1 increases the resource levels of his team by +1; Weapon Master 2 means that he could use universal weapons of level 1 or 2 - without this, he could not use universal weapons at all, and only weapons exclusive to him, correct?

And finally, Living Arsenal 1 means he can use +1 level weapon resource in addition to 1 level any resource, correct? So, he could use a level 1 resource and a level 1 weapon, or a level 2 resource (Thanks to Weapon Master 2).

Correct so far?

There are three resources that are gentleman specific in the downloadable files I have: Brace of Pistols, Flash Grenade, and Sniper Rifle. Each is a level 1 resource. Since he has Living Arsenal 1, and is level 1, he can use a total of 2 levels of these, so that means he can choose two of these for an encounter, but not all three?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Absolutely spot on Morfedel! Yeah with Gentlemen it's often a choice of do you want both guns, do you want the smoke, how do you think you'll need to play him? Also because of the need to reload the Sniper Rifle you'll only be able to use Snipe every other round at most. Unless you have someone like Rook around to increase Gentlemen's AP.

Another fun trick if you stick Gentlemen in with an all A.R.C. Team he becomes A.R.C. (due to Mercenary Skill) and can benefit from the Weapon's Crate Resources. Put him in with Twilight and Rook and he can become a Coven Member and use Twilight's Silenced Pistol!

So yeah lot of really fun options with the Gentlemen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:03 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Just to add my two cents to the exclusive resources thing, while it's often a good idea to take an exclusive resource since they're designed to work with the supreme they're paired with, there are definitely times when you might not want to.

Rememeber that the rulebook includes plenty of other resources, and if you're like some of us who really love minions, you'll find that sometimes it's worth sacrificing an exclusive resource for a few more zombies, monkey militia or strippers with guns.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:15 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Morfedel wrote:
Why bother? I mean, if a hero or villain is going to have exclusive resources, why even bother having the separate. Just list their items' abilities on their same card and have a separate stat that says "this character also costs x resources."

I thought it was abit like a points sytem. There are no points in Pulp city beyond level. If a supreme is a bit stronger than another he can be balanced by having some of that power tied up in exclusive resources. The best eg would be Rook I think. The worst Nuke as he in theory has a choice of 2 resources but one of them is more or less mandatory so why bother?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:23 pm
Also don't forget that Resources can be affected by Actions and Team Power Effects in specific ways (look at Twilight); thus those abilities contained within the Resources are manipulated in a different way to in-built Actions.

It is more straight-forwards to model an Action like Shadow Theft with such Resources.

Just an added angle to consider.