Author Message

<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Using Buildings More Often?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:58 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
In most of our recent games all the action has happened on the ground levels between buildings.
And when we used an objective building in the middle, one team just used it as a defensive stronghold.

How do the rest of you out there get more use out of buildings in game?
Or what do you think would be a good way to do it?

And not the point of the thread but, I would love to know how many floors players prefer on thier boards.



_________________
My Blog Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher Inc Pulp City.
Citizens of Pulp City Facebook Group Here
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:30 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Buildings?

Don't forget to make Opposed Rolls when they are caught in Blasts/Self-Blasts.

Try using more Supremes with Ram; including especially Acorn and Apebot. Try using models that benefit from being on high and dropping down: Skyline; Jade Hawk; Twilight; Stalker.

Try out the Destroy or Defend Plot.

Finally consider maybe using visual markers for Damage (not mandatory but it adds to narrative I feel when you see a bunch of flame counters stacked on a building - we use these and it adds an extra element to be sure as well as making tracking easier by counting different sizes as different denominations of Damage). I/we use a mix of small (Litko), medium and large (latter both GFG).



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Not thought about them getting caught in blasts. Im sure we would have knocked some down by now.

What do you mean by dropping down?

With Destroy or Defend, wouldnt most Supremes still be on ground level?

I do like the tokens idea. Where do you get them from?



_________________
My Blog Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher Inc Pulp City.
Citizens of Pulp City Facebook Group Here
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:54 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
If you have a Supreme like Twilight (not the gay vampires!!!) with Thick Bones you can drop off a ledge or building without taking damage. You also don't get Knocked Down. So you can for example Charge* + Shadow Fangs off a ledge. Land on your victim they suffer a :STR = to Twilights :DEF vs. :DEF roll. If they take Damage they are Knocked Down. THEN you resolve the Shadow Fangs attack with +1 for Charge and your victim is at -2 :DEF due to being Knocked Down! Do you begin to see the evil?

Now you NEED Thick Bones to pull this off. So Twilight, Skyline, Jade Hawk are all good choices for this. Add the Vigilante Resources that Skyline and Jade Hawk gain access too and you have some real winning potential that will BEG to have buildings on the board.



_________________
Pulp City Lead Troubleshooter
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:24 am
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
I've found the same thing hendy. We've got some of the Ameritown buildings which are great but not really that interactive. We've found that unless you've got at least one character on each side, but more like two on each side, that has the movement skills to get up the building (Flight, Wallcrawling or Blink), then they are just very large obstacles. Which I don't think is a bad thing cause they look so cool :).

We were thinking of building some fire escape style stairs attachments to add a bit more interaction.

I think the other thing is that the Jump* movement skill is a double negative so we don't tend to use it. What I mean by that is that it costs 2AP, twice as much as a Move* action, and an average :STR 4 character jumps 2 inches, half as much as a Move* action. So to go 4 inches anywhere other than straight along the ground it's costing you 4AP instead of 1. If a Jump* was 1AP then we'd probably use it a lot more, cause then it's just a single negative (Unless you've :STR 8, which I don't know who is?).

Having said that, it currently is a kick @ss advantage for the models with the movement skills if you have a few buildings and they need to escape/manouver/sneak up etc.

Afterthought: Grapling Hooks as a resource card would be awesome, grant you a one off run action with Wallcrawler ability :)

Afterthought 2: Retractible Ladder as a recource card, place a 30mm counter in contact with a building for 1AP. Any model starting in base contact can move vertically, and only directly vertically, up the wall as if they had wallcrawler. A model that is on the roof directly above the 30mm counter can spend 1AP to retract the ladder and place the counter on their card. They then gain the resource card.

Full of random thoughts tonight...


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:25 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Great ideas for resources. Well have to add them to.our list for some new resources in the future.



_________________
Bob Nolan

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:42 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
I REALLY like the grappeling hooks idea!


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:04 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
hendybadger wrote:
Not thought about them getting caught in blasts. Im sure we would have knocked some down by now.

What do you mean by dropping down?


BM answered this one! :)

Quote:
With Destroy or Defend, wouldnt most Supremes still be on ground level?


Yes, however the Buildings take on increased emphasis, especially if anyone is on a building sniping (Gentleman) or hugging rooftops (Twilight, Jade Hawk; Skyline; Stalker).

Quote:
I do like the tokens idea. Where do you get them from?


I used Maelstrom and LGS for the Gale Force 9 Games ones, using these tokens (pics not mine):

Image

Image

We use the small ones as 5 Damage, the strips as 10 Damage.

We also use small Litko Aerosystems markers as 1 Damage markers (Macij Miniatures in the UK is one stockist):

Image

Litko do some larger ones and here is a comparison pic with GF9 I found:

Image

And finally, an in-game shot using the markers in one of our games:

Image



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:58 am
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
Beermonkey wrote:
If you have a Supreme like Twilight (not the gay vampires!!!) with Thick Bones you can drop off a ledge or building without taking damage. You also don't get Knocked Down. So you can for example Charge* + Shadow Fangs off a ledge. Land on your victim they suffer a :STR = to Twilights :DEF vs. :DEF roll. If they take Damage they are Knocked Down. THEN you resolve the Shadow Fangs attack with +1 for Charge and your victim is at -2 :DEF due to being Knocked Down! Do you begin to see the evil?

Now you NEED Thick Bones to pull this off. So Twilight, Skyline, Jade Hawk are all good choices for this. Add the Vigilante Resources that Skyline and Jade Hawk gain access too and you have some real winning potential that will BEG to have buildings on the board.


I was telling my mate about this manouver and we checked the rule in the book and it doesn't say anything about the landed on model being knocked down? Just says that they cop the :DEF vs :DEF hit? How does the target become knocked down? Even without that it's an awesome move cause she's doing 2 strikes in 1 activation but yeah, am I missing something there?

It then also says that the "Falling model suffers all of the consequences mentioned above". Which "above" is this refering to; the :DEF vs :DEF opposed roll can cause damage to the falling model OR they suffer the :STR = fall distance vs :DEF or :AGL and are themselves knocked down if damaged? I know it doesn't matter for Thick Bones characters but while we're clarifying :)


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:10 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
baskinders wrote:
Beermonkey wrote:
If you have a Supreme like Twilight (not the gay vampires!!!) with Thick Bones you can drop off a ledge or building without taking damage. You also don't get Knocked Down. So you can for example Charge* + Shadow Fangs off a ledge. Land on your victim they suffer a :STR = to Twilights :DEF vs. :DEF roll. If they take Damage they are Knocked Down. THEN you resolve the Shadow Fangs attack with +1 for Charge and your victim is at -2 :DEF due to being Knocked Down! Do you begin to see the evil?

Now you NEED Thick Bones to pull this off. So Twilight, Skyline, Jade Hawk are all good choices for this. Add the Vigilante Resources that Skyline and Jade Hawk gain access too and you have some real winning potential that will BEG to have buildings on the board.


I was telling my mate about this manouver and we checked the rule in the book and it doesn't say anything about the landed on model being knocked down? Just says that they cop the :DEF vs :DEF hit? How does the target become knocked down? Even without that it's an awesome move cause she's doing 2 strikes in 1 activation but yeah, am I missing something there?

It then also says that the "Falling model suffers all of the consequences mentioned above". Which "above" is this refering to; the :DEF vs :DEF opposed roll can cause damage to the falling model OR they suffer the :STR = fall distance vs :DEF or :AGL and are themselves knocked down if damaged? I know it doesn't matter for Thick Bones characters but while we're clarifying :)


No generalised auto Knocked Down (except for Fallling model with exemptions) as far as I am aware.

The "consequences above" are:
    - The Opposed Roll calculated by distance (ignored with Flight - except Shot Down; Levitation; Thick Bones and Wall Crawler).
    - Falling model suffers Knocked Down if Damaged (see exceptions above!; and Thick Bones always exempted)

EDIT: added note about Knocked Down in italics.



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:17 pm
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
Sweet PC, makes sense, still a good move :)


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
baskinders wrote:
Sweet PC, makes sense, still a good move :)


It is - especially as it is one of the few times you can attack a single model twice with 1 Activation. Overkill could be something like Heroic Call: Battlefield Tactics and do the same thing twice with two models (say Skyline followed by Jade Hawk...) against 1 target in a single Activation! :D

Take the Rooftop Vigilantes Resource.
Skyline's fall can be effective :STR 6, followed up with a Charge* + Climbing Pads Kick for another :STR 6 attack. Then Jade Hawk piles in (whether in a later Activation or immediately after with Heroic Call) since the target is locked by Climbing Pads kick - even if they are Annoying; do Predator's Charge* + Strike and she will do a Fall of :STR 5 and the Strike should be 3 +2 (Charge) +1 if more than six inches from a friendly Supreme other than Skyline for a base of :STR 6 that will benefit from Trump and a Power Up if you like.



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:47 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
This sounds like a great tactic. Going to have to try it out soon.

I like the fire escape idea for making it easier to get onto buildings. Might have to try and find some (not great at scratch building)
The Ameritowne buildings look stunning. Unfortunatly the shipping to the UK is abit extreme. Anyone know if there is a UK retailer?
Grappling Hooks and Ladders would make great Resources!

The fire counters are really nice. How many do you ususaly use for a game?



_________________
My Blog Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher Inc Pulp City.
Citizens of Pulp City Facebook Group Here
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
It depends, since we call some 1 point, other 5 points and the rest 10 points, we tend to need more 1 point than anything. I have around a dozen of those (just because of the pack sizes), about half that of 5 pointers, and about half that of 10 pointers does us most of the time. And the cool thing? Nothing to write down. :)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:11 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Had a look but cant find them on Maelstrom anymore.
And do you have a link to Macij Miniatures?



_________________
My Blog Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher Inc Pulp City.
Citizens of Pulp City Facebook Group Here
Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Page 1 of 2
22 posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
cron