<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  WargamesGeek.pl Interview

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:27 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Howdy, I am reposting (thanks WGG!) an interview that will be published in a few days through www.wargamesgeek.pl if you are interested.

Thanks to Wargamesgeek.pl, we are able repost the interview we had a a pleasure to give.

Wargamesgeek.pl: How does it feel to be for over 4 years on the market?

Morf: It feels great! It's hard to believe but the concept of the game is almost 5 years old and we sold the first miniatures over 4 years ago.

WGG: How does Pulp City look like as a 5-year old?
Morf: It's bigger, I am not sure if smarter. It's still a crazy 5-year old that has mood swings and so many things around it that make it hard to focus. I feel sometimes like taking a trip to a toy-store (WGG: Morf is an avid toy collector) and I have only so little money to spend and so little time to stay.

WGG: Which part of running the company is the hardest one?

Morf: Production. It's usually nightmares, rarely sunshine. Being a super small company - you can only do that much in two people.

WGG: What is the best part?
Morf: Constantly, for all the years, the creation and the contact with the players.

WGG: Speaking of creation, what's in the future for Pulp City?

Morf: A Movie - full feature with The Rock as Guerilla and Rihanna as Red Riding Hoodoo.
I was cast as a random grimm that gets serious punishment in the first scene of the movie. Ok, people won't buy it even on the 1st of April (WGG- Morf laughs).
On a serious note, 5 years is long enough to take a step and refresh some concepts. I will be probably the first game designer to say that his game got over the time a bit complex and rather not casual. Being not casual might actually defy the whole business concept - PC was meant to be a fun and fast game you play when you are tired of having to carry huge models your primary game requires you to supersize each year.
So Pulp City as you know it will see a last wave of releases that will complete the teams (namely Blood Watch, A.R.C., Coven and Jade Cult) and then everything will change. Starting with packaging (we are moving towards regular blisters) to the game system itself.
I am still not sold on the idea of blind-packaged random Supremes in blisters nor moving all the math to iOS/Android apps, but the changes will be huge. Starting with a new book with "army lists" to a completely revamped system of Actions, Skills and Conditions, integrated into a one comprehensive format that lets you find all necessary info on one side of a card.

WGG: Wow, that sounds radical.
Morf: It is. I am radical. Being on both sides of the story actually taught me to respect gamer's habits and opinions so if for whatever reason you will feel like PC changed too much, you will have a complete game with 100 Supremes to use. The new rules will be a subject to open beta, coming up this fall.

WGG: And after that, what Supremes can we expect?
Morf: Old and new. New installments of old favorites that literally blew my mind, Ace of Wraiths or Guerilla (WGG - true. We've seen them - they blew our minds). The new stuff - once I get all of the new starter Supremes out of my drawer, there are a couple of big baddies waiting around the corner.
Starting with my new favorite, 100 Voices, a mysterious villain made of memories of killers, arsonists and muggers of the super-security prison in Pulp City to a whole generation of bib big models that could have not been sculpted if not for 3D technology. Our friends at MaxMini sport some amazing printing device that, I hope, will let me print out my dreams of clashing giants of Supremes (can you imagine 4 m/12 feet tall Supremes going against each other?).

WGG: What can we wish you for the next year?
Morf: Strength and focus to give all the components of PC attention they desire. Starting with the Herald program (demo program) going all the way to being able to attend more shows.

WGG: Let it be my wish then, thanks a lot!
Morf: Thank you for your time!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
VERY Interesting!!!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:43 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Interesting indeed.
I like the sound of 100 Voices. Pure evil!
Big Supremes will be nice aswell. Especially if they make people like SFU look small.
Cant wait to see what happens to the rules. Making them faster, simpler and more streamlined could do wonders for the game. Especially when running demos and things for new players.

I hope the 'Army Book' contains background and artwork for all of the Supremes. Also hope the way teams are built stays similar. I like mixing factions.

Herald program re-vamp. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Thanks for posting this, Morf. It's a lot to digest!

Morf wrote:
I am still not sold on the idea of blind-packaged random Supremes in blisters nor moving all the math to iOS/Android apps, but the changes will be huge. Starting with a new book with "army lists" to a completely revamped system of Actions, Skills and Conditions, integrated into a one comprehensive format that lets you find all necessary info on one side of a card.

There's so much stuff in that paragraph alone!

First, please let me just say, don't make this game a CMG... with blind packaging and random minis. I'm a collector of Pulp City minis now more than a player and to have to wade through several boxes to find the one I'm missing is not something I'd want to do.

Second, one of the things I like about the current iteration of PC is that my daughter can do the math with me. It's d6+x (+modifiers) means that she can get the hang of it. It also stretches her a little. So iOS/Android apps would minimise that aspect of the game. We should be able to do simple math when we are playing games like this... no?

It's quite hard to imagine having all the information on one side of the card. And what will the army books look like? Factional? Or like Warmachine and Hordes with a little bit of everything thrown in? Will the changes to the action, skill and condition system be akin to the changes from the old PC rules to the current ones, or like Mk.I to Mk.II Warmachine, or will it feel quite different, if not completely different?

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. Again, thanks for posting, and I'm still holding out hope for the UFO Club and Paper, Scissors and Rock to come out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:35 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Cilionelle wrote:

Morf wrote:

More information than I knew or thought possible. Weird, and so out of the blue that we'd get this information from an interview instead of posted directly here or from someone who works more closely with Morf.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:52 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Cilionelle wrote:

Morf wrote:

First, please let me just say, don't make this game a CMG... with blind packaging and random minis. I'm a collector of Pulp City minis now more than a player and to have to wade through several boxes to find the one I'm missing is not something I'd want to do.

Second, one of the things I like about the current iteration of PC is that my daughter can do the math with me. It's d6+x (+modifiers) means that she can get the hang of it. It also stretches her a little. So iOS/Android apps would minimise that aspect of the game. We should be able to do simple math when we are playing games like this... no?

It's quite hard to imagine having all the information on one side of the card. And what will the army books look like? Factional? Or like Warmachine and Hordes with a little bit of everything thrown in? Will the changes to the action, skill and condition system be akin to the changes from the old PC rules to the current ones, or like Mk.I to Mk.II Warmachine, or will it feel quite different, if not completely different?

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. Again, thanks for posting, and I'm still holding out hope for the UFO Club and Paper, Scissors and Rock to come out!

I suspect irony in the collectible & i/android parts. I sure hope so as there is no way I would buy random minis or an i-thing.

He was also talking about streamlining rather than complexifying so I would not worry about the maths. There could stand to be an action or two less (hold, jump integrated into other moves, even charge could be removed, though the free extra +2" is nice it does push things further against ranged supremes). The guide did a great job of cleaning up the original but it is still feels more fiddly than it needs to be.

All of the actions available to a supreme could be fitted onto one side of a slightly larger card (well double sized) - I have though about doing this myself as well as cleaning up/updating the language so that when I introduce (a second) new player they can see everything each supreme can do at a glance. Their numbers & abilities together with what those mean could all go on one side of the card with art & fluff on the other.

Army list book really bemuses me as I see no need or slot for it. What I would like to see is a deck of resource & objective cards.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:49 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Hey gang I think I can answer some questions for you. No we're will NEVER go CMG! Not gonna happen. We are moving away from our current boxes and into a more traditional blister packaging. Just for cost and a lot less headache on poor Morf's part. He spends an insane amount of time + money + :ENG on the current packaging.

The game itself will be VERY different. Yet at the same time feel very much the same. For example Skills are gone. Why? Because we had a ton of skills, no one could remember what they all did. When we really started looking at them most of them weren't really needed. Some will remain. Elements are going to be given more attention. We'll be adding Lighting and Ice, and a couple of more elements to the mix. Immunity will exist, so will Living, Non-living, Mechanical. Most of the rest are gone.

Movement is going to be cleaned up and strealined. All your favorites will remain, Flight, Blink, Levitate. But will get easier to use and remember. The big change is the Opposed Roll system is now the Action Roll. Same idea dice + Traits and see who wins but a very different damage and effects system will be used. It's really cleaver and as reluctant as I was about it at first (and oh did I kick and scream) I think its going to be a real improvement.

That's more than I should have probably said but I want you guys to get excited about what's coming. As Morf said an Open Beta is being planned for the game. We will NEED your help and involvement. We have close to 100 Supremes right now that will need to be re-written and playtested with the new system! That's where you the fans come in. Once you've seen the Beta rules we'll give you probably 2 Teams to start with. At this point A.R.C. and Heavy Metal look to be our test groups. From there new Supremes will be released in MK II format for testing. You feedback will have a direct impact on the final product!

We need you guys testing the rules! Breaking the game. Breaking the Supremes. Do what you can to make the game better. More will be revealed down the road but this should be the major talking point on the forums for the next couple of months. Ultimately we are looking to make this game faster and easier to learn. You should be able to pick up a Supremes card look it over quickly and know what to do with that Supreme. That's our goal. If we achieve it you'll find that Pulp City will be played at Level 12 on most average games in the same amount of time a level 6 game takes now. Big faster more fun. That's where we're headed.

So get ready fans. We're about to push this game to EPIC levels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
I'm looking forward to testing it out then. Thanks, Beermonkey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:10 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 37Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 am
I am so excited for the future now its great roll on Salute and prepare to take my money :)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:38 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 174Location: Chicago, USAJoined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:27 pm
So will new Cards be available for the mini's we currently own, or will we have to re-purcahse them under the new rules? I know some of the minis Like Nuke and Ace are being redone... is that the plan for all of them?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
LabApe wrote:
So will new Cards be available for the mini's we currently own, or will we have to re-purcahse them under the new rules? I know some of the minis Like Nuke and Ace are being redone... is that the plan for all of them?

New cards will be available eventually, but how cards for the existing range are packaged will remain to be seen, and I am sure we will try and ensure that pdf alternatives are on-hand.

The open beta will have rules in some kind of pdf form, including individual Supreme and Minion rules. when we get to the open stage, it will be 'open'. :)

We will try and get things 'right' for that stage, and then we can see our hard work shredded by fiendish gaming minds! :lol:

At the end of the day however, what I also think is positive is that anyone who wants to play the existing rules will have a large range of Supremes to draw upon for games, with a strong range of full Teams available.

Which is to say that even while development of the new rules will be ongoing, we are not stopping with the current iteration; the stuff lined up will get just as much focus as ever, if not more as we strive to make the game and the range of models cooler and better, but reflect on keeping every choice (hopefully!) viable. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:22 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Looking forward to this future of PC.
Especially the 'shredding' the rules apart!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:12 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
BTW 2 things:

1. did any of you try the link to the source 'material' :twisted:

2. did you catch the date? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:29 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
BTW 2 things:

1. did any of you try the link to the source 'material' :twisted:

2. did you catch the date? :twisted:

Like I said -

Doctor-Warlock wrote:
VERY Interesting!!!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 am
Good point D-W.

...but to everyone else, what is real...? :twisted: