<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Newbie questions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:30 pm
MortalPosts: 4Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:15 pm
Hi there. I've recently discovered Pulp City and I'm pretty interested in trying it out. I have a few questions:

- Is there some kind of faction book that lists all of the supreme's abilities so you can see what you're getting before you buy something?

- What is the deal with the supremes that are sold 2 per pack? Do the two characters have to be used together?

- What's the lowest amount of supremes required per player for a good game? I'm thinking about buying just a few models to try this out at my local gaming store.

- And finally: What are some of the major aspects that you feel set Pulp City apart from other skirmish games?

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:54 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Zx9 wrote:
Hi there. I've recently discovered Pulp City and I'm pretty interested in trying it out. I have a few questions:

WELCOME AND WELL MET!

Zx9 wrote:
Is there some kind of faction book that lists all of the supreme's abilities so you can see what you're getting before you buy something?

Not at the moment no, but if you search around on here there is loads of information on the various supremes and what works with what etc.

Zx9 wrote:
What is the deal with the supremes that are sold 2 per pack? Do the two characters have to be used together?

They were generally released at the same time, and they work out a little cheaper bought as a twin pack.

Zx9 wrote:
What's the lowest amount of supremes required per player for a good game? I'm thinking about buying just a few models to try this out at my local gaming store.

Encounter Level 3 is one Lvl 1 and one Lvl 2, HOWEVER I feel that Encounter Level 4 is about as low as you can go (personally) for a fun game - thats two Lvl 1 and one Lvl 2

Zx9 wrote:
And finally: What are some of the major aspects that you feel set Pulp City apart from other skirmish games?

The setting is fantastic, the miniatures are the best of their type - the game play is fluid and fast.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:33 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Welcome to the City.

If you are looking for the rules of the Supremes then check out the Tactics sections on this forum.
Apart from the newest releases, each Supreme has its own thread with thier rules cards in.
Any abilites that arnt explained on the card will refer to the PC Guide which is a free PDF download from the main site.

I dont like disagreeing wit the Doc but I would recommend a Lvl 5 game to start with. 2 Lvl 2s and 1 Lvl 1.
I find the Lvl 2 Supremes to be more fun and interesting. More 'super' than 'human'

If you have ANY more questions then please post them up. The forums members on here are some of the most helpful I have ever found.

Hope you enjoy your stay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
He asked about the smallest game possible, which would be a Level 3 game - the only problem with a game that small its over so quickly you don't really have time to learn anything.

Two Level 2's for an absolute beginner is a lot to handle/take in initially.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:51 pm
One last thing, you can easily plan your Force - either buy the starters, which are nicely balanced against each other, and with 8 Levels of Supremes gives you a little variety to begin with; or you can use the store search options and plan your purchase by Faction - Heavy Metal, Coven, A.R.C. etc

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:24 pm
Thanks for all the answers. So how do you know which level a supreme is? Or can each supreme be any level?

So far I'm eyeing the Gorilla, Tanuki, and the two little aliens Sagittarius and Gemini.

Also, I've played Malifaux quite a bit. Does this game compare to that in any way?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:02 am
Here you go - this should help you heaps!

http://www.totengraber.net/pulpcity/

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
Nothing really compares to Malifaux :D

Both excellent games and both great fun to play! :wink:

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:35 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Pulp City can't really be compared except in the fact that you have alternating activations.

In Pulp City, you can activate a supreme multiple times per round until you meet the action point limit listed on that supreme's card. Each supreme has their own limit as well as each team has a limited pool of action points to use.

Malifaux uses cards that you can "cheat" with. Pulp City uses dice that you can Power up (like boosting somewhat in Warmachine/Hordes).

Any hero can be used with any other hero and same with villains.

Their are also models with the Hero and Villain attribute that will work for both sides.

Team building is done by having an equal number of 1s and 2s, but you can have one more level 1 than 2, and vice versa.

So, a level 7 game would be two level 2s and three level 1s. A level six game would be two 2s and two 1s.

Like Malifaux, each supreme has their own unique set of actions and skills. The higher the level or the more supremes you have, the more actions and abilities you need to be aware of, so starting small, at level 3 or 4 would be fine until you figure everything out.

also, in Pulp City, the terrain is destructible and you can interact with it by throwing, etc, like in a real comic book.

Hope that helps some!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:07 am
Thanks everyone! How many points would this set be?

http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-City-Villains-Sagittarius-Gemini/dp/B005OQ9K24/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1334541846&sr=1-4

It's super cheap, just $15 for 3 models! Would this be enough for one player in a 3 point game?

My idea is to learn the rules, then take just a handful of cheap models to my local gaming store and try this out with some people. My nearest store specializes in mainly miniatures games. I could see something like this being played there, especially considering how cheap it appears to be to get into! :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 am
Thats a nice little Level 4 - one Level 2 and two Level 1's - Sagitarius (Lvl 2), Gemini-X (Lvl 1), and Gemini-Y (Lvl 1).

A nice option might be to take Virgo and Tritonius (as even though they are unaligned they are opposed to the Ulthar Invaders) and add a Level 1 Hero to them - Harrier because of her flight, Androidia because of her speed - or you could throw caution to the wind and take the Gentleman because even though he's a Villain he's cool and can work for them LoL!

FRP Games are slightly cheaper - http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=66705 - they have more of a selection and might be cheaper on Shipping (and they are really good to).

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:51 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
He asked about the smallest game possible, which would be a Level 3 game - the only problem with a game that small its over so quickly you don't really have time to learn anything.

He asked about the smallest number for a good game not to learn. I reckon that is 6 levels/4supremes. That gives enough models to carry out missions while fighting, Fewer will tend to just do one or the other.

Noone has mentioned that the cards for most of the models are on this website. All of them are supposed to be but the powers are poor at updating the site. The ruels are free here too so to try it out you just need some bases & book scenery. Obviously to sell the game to people the models will work wonders.

PC is kind of the Anti Malifaux. There are next to no restrictions on team building & few strong team based synergies so you can make a decent team out of a huge range of models. Contrast to Malifaux where each master works best with a restricted selection of minions. though after 3 books the selections are no longer small.
Malifaux is stupendously complex with even the most trivial models having several often marginal powers & the most advanced ones absolutely masses. Every Supreme has 4 unique abilities & a "team power" whiich means they are far more similar in their complexity & dare I say balance. Pulp City plays faster too because of this, If you love the incredible depth of interactions in Malifaux you may find PC a bit simple but I find Malifaux too much & feel it is overblown design. (I heard Eric Johns on a pod cast talking about Puppet Wars expressing suprise at the level of variation they could get in that game with much simpler mechanics. No suprise to me).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:44 pm
Pickles wrote:
Doctor-Warlock wrote:

He asked about the smallest number for a good game not to learn. I reckon that is 6 levels/4supremes. That gives enough models to carry out missions while fighting, Fewer will tend to just do one or the other.

Noone has mentioned that the cards for most of the models are on this website. All of them are supposed to be but the powers are poor at updating the site. The ruels are free here too so to try it out you just need some bases & book scenery. Obviously to sell the game to people the models will work wonders.

PC is kind of the Anti Malifaux. There are next to no restrictions on team building & few strong team based synergies so you can make a decent team out of a huge range of models. Contrast to Malifaux where each master works best with a restricted selection of minions. though after 3 books the selections are no longer small.
Malifaux is stupendously complex with even the most trivial models having several often marginal powers & the most advanced ones absolutely masses. Every Supreme has 4 unique abilities & a "team power" whiich means they are far more similar in their complexity & dare I say balance. Pulp City plays faster too because of this, If you love the incredible depth of interactions in Malifaux you may find PC a bit simple but I find Malifaux too much & feel it is overblown design. (I heard Eric Johns on a pod cast talking about Puppet Wars expressing suprise at the level of variation they could get in that game with much simpler mechanics. No suprise to me).

^ The best response thus far. Thanks! Yes, actually everyone at my local shop (including myself) feels that Malifaux is way too complicated. The amount of special abilities is just overkill. Yesterday at my gaming store we were discussing Malifaux and we said that on average between the two players' armies there will be over 100 abilities on the table. Yikes!

Anyway, thanks for the great info. I think I'll try to print up the rules, cards, and proxies and try this game out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:19 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
One comment to add... The gemini twins are somewhat tricky to use. You might be better off with some potentially easier models to start off with.

I'd second going to the specific hero/villains sections of this forum. The cards for nearly every supreme are posted which will let you see them for yourself. In addition, if you take the time, there are also strategy articles for most of the supremes as well, which should give you even more information on how they're used as well as the associated learning curves.

And of course, if you want to suggest what models you're more or less interested in, we'd be very pleased to help you construct your starting teams.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
In all reality, to get a game in and learn quite a bit, I'd go with these two teams:

Androida and Iron Train (level 3)
VS
Guerilla and Gentleman (level 3)

You can easily add a level 1 to each side to bump it up to a level 4 game, which wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

It allows the Trump actions to shine and you have melee, range, mixture, and a variety of rules and resources to use.

However, it all depends on what the original poster wants to buy and what he likes the looks of.

One key thing, and I can NOT stress this enough, play with agendas and plots. If you do a the "I'm going to destroy" your team type of game, it will not be as fun. I never, ever, demo or talk about the game without including the plots and agendas for players.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM