<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Pulp CityBall 1.0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:09 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
I wasnt quiet sure where to put this as its not a battle report so I have gone for general.
(Please move to best forum)

I have recently been thinking about some different scenarios for our PC games.
After digging out an old BloodBowl board I had an idea!

Pulp CityBall!!!!!!

2 Teams of Supremes that have challenged each other to a game in the middle of the city.

This is only the first draft of the scenario and Im very open to comments, suggestions and changes.

Pulp CityBall 1.0

The standard rules of Pulp City apply apart from the changes below.

6 a side - Lvl9 game
Normal set-up with a 3" touchdown zone on each side of the board.
No Minions, Resources or Agendas.

Deployment- 3 Supremes set up in Touchdown Zone, 2 Supremes up to 8" in and 1 Supreme up to 12" in.

All Supremes can Move* 3 times a turn but can still only combine 2 at a time. (this will make Hold almost essential)
No Free Strikes unles you are leaving BtB with TWO opponent models.
You CAN Hold a combined Move + Strike (aka tackle)

Ball placed in middle of board to start.
Can be picked up by ending a Movement action in BtB with the Ball.
ALL Supremes can Throw the ball at a friendly Supreme. :STR Trump Throw at double :STR instead of :STR +2.
To Catch the Ball a Supreme must win a :STR v :AGL roll from a Throw.

When carrying the Ball a Supreme is Burdened but does not suffer the Movement penalties.
If the Ball carrier is damaged with an attack of any sort, the Ball is instantly dropped infront of them in BtB.
To gain a Touchdown, the Ball carrier must end thier movement in the opponents zone. The game is then reset.

The winning team is the first to 3 Touchdowns, first to eliminate all opponents or at the end of a set time or number of rounds agreed upon beforehand by the players.

So, What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:46 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
I think that's a very cool idea... Bloodbowl is a real passion of mine, greater even than, and I hesitate to say this, Pulp City.

So would you give incapacitated supremes a chance to get up between drives?

What would happen if a team was completed eliminated?

Can the ball be shot at? What about Blast powers?

:) I think this is a pretty cool idea...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 am
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
I would say you can't attack or damage the ball.

Supremes returning could be good. Any ideas on how?

If a team is fully Eliminated they lose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:34 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
This sounds completely bonkers - have you tried it yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
hendybadger wrote:
I would say you can't attack or damage the ball.

Hmm... not even shoot it to move it an inch away from the models?

As it stands now, throwing and catching are both :STR actions. A team made of SFU, Stoner Hawk, Solar and Apebot would dominate. If the blasters could at least do some keep away, it may offer a new option. I'm just brainstorming here though...

hendybadger wrote:
Supremes returning could be good. Any ideas on how?

Similar to bloodbowl? Between drives, give them a 4+ to come back? But here, you're just eliminated, there's no distinction between off the field, KO'ed or Injured...

Can I just say that this is the first time I actually regret how far Canada is from the UK? I'm DYING to try this!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:13 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 16Location: PrestonJoined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:04 pm
I agree, with Cardboardvampire If all the actions are :STR based some supremes are at a distinct disadvantage - allowing blsters to interact migth be a good thing.

Also, you could perhaps integrate some Blood Bowl style rules, so that the trump traits represent similar things - just brainstorming here but
:AGL trump = Dodge (+1 to opposed rolls when testign to drop the ball)
:STR = Block (+1 to tackle an opponent)
:DEF = Guard (add +1 to opposed roll if B2B with friendly model)
:ENG = Pass (+1 to opposed roll to pass the ball)
:MND =Leader? (allows 1 re roll per game round)
:SPT =Thick Skull (+1 to the roll to see if the supreme returns)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm
Re: Greylamb

I think that might add a little too much complexity...

My thought wasn't so much to balance it so that all supremes were equally useful in this and I'm fine if the :STR supremes dominate. It simply means you'd choose your team accordingly.

I was just thinking it would be cool to see the ball lying somewhere as a blaster shot it closer to a waiting teamate. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
This sounds completely bonkers - have you tried it yet?

Not yet but hopefully this week.

cardboardvampire wrote:
Hmm... not even shoot it to move it an inch away from the models?

As it stands now, throwing and catching are both :STR actions. A team made of SFU, Stoner Hawk, Solar and Apebot would dominate. If the blasters could at least do some keep away, it may offer a new option. I'm just brainstorming here though...

Similar to bloodbowl? Between drives, give them a 4+ to come back? But here, you're just eliminated, there's no distinction between off the field, KO'ed or Injured...

Can I just say that this is the first time I actually regret how far Canada is from the UK? I'm DYING to try this!

Cathcing is meant to be an :AGL . Dont think I put it across very well.
How would you roll for projectiles v the Ball?

What about having Resources as normal but they can only be Medi Kits or Spare Parts?
Only used after Touchdowns and more than 1 card can be used on a Supreme at a time.
You will have to work out who you need and how healthy you need them.

Looking forward to trying it myself

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:07 pm
hendybadger wrote:
Cathcing is meant to be an :AGL . Dont think I put it across very well.
How would you roll for projectiles v the Ball?

What about having Resources as normal but they can only be Medi Kits or Spare Parts?
Only used after Touchdowns and more than 1 card can be used on a Supreme at a time.
You will have to work out who you need and how healthy you need them.

Looking forward to trying it myself

Ah... :AGL works for catching. I see now what you meant in your first post now.

I think your med kit/scrap parts idea, but useable between drives is an excelent cross between Pulp City and Bloodbowl.

:) I think it's safe to say we want a FULL battlereport!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:14 pm
A battle report is being planned when the rules are sorted.

Not sure what to do about the shooting the ball still though.

Im thinking about an extra result of a sucessful Takle (charge+strike) being KD.

Also if a player misses a catch, 1 opponent player within 2" has a chance to intercept by making a catch roll themselves.

Maybe not limit throws to only friednly players. Throws can go anywhere inc friendly players

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:18 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
perhaps give :ENG blaster supremes a *precision* throw, specific for scoring and using their :ENG somehow. (requires some tactics.. as this means as opposed to a normal game of pulp city you put your :ENG supremes towards the front and need some :STR ones for nearby protection.)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:29 pm
Melvin wrote:
perhaps give :ENG blaster supremes a *precision* throw, specific for scoring and using their :ENG somehow. (requires some tactics.. as this means as opposed to a normal game of pulp city you put your :ENG supremes towards the front and need some :STR ones for nearby protection.)

Interesting option!

I do like the additional strategy it would require... That said, it can't be the only way to score since if you lose your :ENG guy(s), you'd be unable to actually score at all.

What about using :ENG for a field goal type action? That way, you can potentially get points for a :ENG action without making it the only way to score?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
cardboardvampire wrote:
Melvin wrote:

Interesting option!

I do like the additional strategy it would require... That said, it can't be the only way to score since if you lose your :ENG guy(s), you'd be unable to actually score at all.

What about using :ENG for a field goal type action? That way, you can potentially get points for a :ENG action without making it the only way to score?

yeah, didnt meant only they can score, just that they are good at it ;)
with the :STR being good at throwing passes etc.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:49 pm
Melvin wrote:

yeah, didnt meant only they can score, just that they are good at it ;)
with the :STR being good at throwing passes etc.

Ah, got it. That could work.

That said, in a game like this, ranged guys might be better used to take out the guys about to score, rather then going on the offense themselves. Get a guy like Nuclear jones or gentleman and just snipe at the ball handler while your tougher guys are ready to snatch up the ball.

Actually a nuclear jones/iron train combo using heroic call would be perfect. Jones takes out the ball carrier and uses heroic call, which allows Iron train to run in, pick up the unatended ball, and once he has it, good luck getting it off of him without a :MND attack!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:16 pm
I like your idea Melvin but then I also like CBVs plan.
The original thought was that the :AGL Supremes would be the catchers and scorers.

Maybe :ENG Supremes could get a 'Handoff' action?
When carrying the ball and the target of a tackle (M+ST) the Supreme gets to make a :ENG shot. If it hits, the tackle fails.