<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Running a few Demos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:15 am
SidekickPosts: 59Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm
Hey all:

So I have generated a lot of interest in the game system (which I could not be more happy about). I am setting up an afternoon to run some demos and I had a few questions.

I was thinking of running 6 point teams and trying to keep it simple (so figures that don't have a lot of complicated actions but are still fun to play).

I am planning on keeping the civilians in the game, but limiting resources, and making the scenarios just the knock down drag out type.

So, with that in mind, here is my two main questions.

1) What are some characters that should be included? (Oh I should say that, I have every character in the game, save for Herald, the Grimms, Red Baron, and June Summers).

2) How much terrain should I have out on the board for demo games?

Thanks for your help!
James

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
mastermind wrote:
Hey all:

I was thinking of running 6 point teams and trying to keep it simple (so figures that don't have a lot of complicated actions but are still fun to play).

I am planning on keeping the civilians in the game, but limiting resources, and making the scenarios just the knock down drag out type.

1) What are some characters that should be included? (Oh I should say that, I have every character in the game, save for Herald, the Grimms, Red Baron, and June Summers).

Thanks for your help!
James

Limiting resources is probably a good idea. Take a few of the essential ones, but leave out anything too complicated.

1. ARC and heavy metal make for great demos, if you want to stick with specific teams. If you want to mix things up a bit, try to build teams with the following:

For your level 2s, one straight up CC guy (Irontrain, hellsmith etc...) and a hybrid brawler/blaster (sgt bale, guerilla, Solar etc...). For your level 1s, I'd take one more straight forward combat level 1 and perhaps a more utility or support oriented supreme as well. Also critcal, make sure each team has *at least* one person who can throw. Nothing goes over better in a demo than hurling a car, phone booth, lamp post or school bus full of orphans.

The main key is make sure you know the demo supremes cold. Nothing slows down a demo like having to consult the rules repeatedly.

2. Good question. Pulp City can have enormous variety in terms of terrain. I'd suggest covering about 1/3 of the board with a variety of terrain and make sure that a good chunk of it is stuff that can provide cover AND that can be thrown. For example, cars, garbage bins, etc... The advantage of that is that it makes the environment seem a lot more interactive and people love that.

Good luck!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm
cardboardvampire wrote:
mastermind wrote:
Hey all:

Thanks for your help!
James

Limiting resources is probably a good idea. Take a few of the essential ones, but leave out anything too complicated.

1. ARC and heavy metal make for great demos, if you want to stick with specific teams. If you want to mix things up a bit, try to build teams with the following:

For your level 2s, one straight up CC guy (Irontrain, hellsmith etc...) and a hybrid brawler/blaster (sgt bale, guerilla, Solar etc...). For your level 1s, I'd take one more straight forward combat level 1 and perhaps a more utility or support oriented supreme as well. Also critcal, make sure each team has *at least* one person who can throw. Nothing goes over better in a demo than hurling a car, phone booth, lamp post or school bus full of orphans.

The main key is make sure you know the demo supremes cold. Nothing slows down a demo like having to consult the rules repeatedly.

2. Good question. Pulp City can have enormous variety in terms of terrain. I'd suggest covering about 1/3 of the board with a variety of terrain and make sure that a good chunk of it is stuff that can provide cover AND that can be thrown. For example, cars, garbage bins, etc... The advantage of that is that it makes the environment seem a lot more interactive and people love that.

Good luck!

So, I could not agree with you more on the team building. My goal is to make 5 teams and let them pick. With that in mind, here is what I came up with. I am going for a melee bruiser, a ranged guy, and a support piece in each team (decided to move it from 6 points down to 5 points). I figure making themed teams, for the most part, may give a little more flavor to the games.

Team 1 - Heavy Metal:
Iron Train
Nuclear Jones
Chronin or Lady Cyburn

Team 2 - Blood Watch
Sgt Bale
Six Feet Under
Red Riding Hoodoo

Team 3 - ARC
Guerrila
Apebot
Virus

Team 4 - Team Villain
Hellsmith
Nuke
Sister Bedlam

Team 5 - The Coven
Rook
Loup Garou II
Twilight

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:27 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Overall, I like those... but I might suggest a change or two.

mastermind wrote:
Team 3 - ARC
Guerrila
Apebot
Virus

Apebot and Virus are great, don't get me wrong, but they end up playing like a single supreme. Chimp Chi and Howler are mong the very best level 1s out there, so I'd very strongly suggest using one of them instead of virus. From there, you can keep apebot, if you'd like (Don't look at me like that... he *can* be fielded on his own...) but Dr Red might also be a fun choice.

mastermind wrote:
Team 4 - Team Villain
Hellsmith
Nuke
Sister Bedlam

Hellsmith and Sister Bedlam are a great demo combination, but I'd avoid Nuke, I think... He's a tricky model to use and probably not ideal for demos. If you want pure ranged support, but simpler to use, Xyllian is a great choice, but there are loads of villains, or hero/villains available.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:07 am
cardboardvampire wrote:
Overall, I like those... but I might suggest a change or two.

mastermind wrote:
Team 3 - ARC
Guerrila
Apebot
Virus

Apebot and Virus are great, don't get me wrong, but they end up playing like a single supreme. Chimp Chi and Howler are mong the very best level 1s out there, so I'd very strongly suggest using one of them instead of virus. From there, you can keep apebot, if you'd like (Don't look at me like that... he *can* be fielded on his own...) but Dr Red might also be a fun choice.

mastermind wrote:
Team 4 - Team Villain
Hellsmith
Nuke
Sister Bedlam

Hellsmith and Sister Bedlam are a great demo combination, but I'd avoid Nuke, I think... He's a tricky model to use and probably not ideal for demos. If you want pure ranged support, but simpler to use, Xyllian is a great choice, but there are loads of villains, or hero/villains available.

I really like these suggestions. And I agree, Dr. Red is a beast, I just wasn't sure if he was "too complicated" for a demo.. which is why I went with apebot.. smash smash smash, right?

For the ARC team, I think I will go Howler, Guerilla, and Dr. Red. That is a lot of range for them, but should be fun.

I like Xylian in the villain team. I wanted to make a necroplane team, but I think they don't play straight forward enough. But, I could be wrong.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:08 pm
mastermind wrote:
I really like these suggestions. And I agree, Dr. Red is a beast, I just wasn't sure if he was "too complicated" for a demo.. which is why I went with apebot.. smash smash smash, right?

For the ARC team, I think I will go Howler, Guerilla, and Dr. Red. That is a lot of range for them, but should be fun.

Apobot probably is a good idea, but Virus isn't. At level 5, in a demo, virus won't be doing much and if apebot goes down, virus becomes merely decorative. And that's assuming he's well painted. ;)

mastermind wrote:
I like Xylian in the villain team. I wanted to make a necroplane team, but I think they don't play straight forward enough. But, I could be wrong.

Yeah, I think you're right. Necroplane is a fantastic team, especially after they got Night Fright and Doom train, but they require a little finesse to use right.

Offline Profile