<  FAN SECTION  ~  First 2 games!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:32 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
My friend and I played our first two agmes today. It has taken some time to get ready (just check out my joined date to see), but I wanted painted models and painted sceneary to play with, and today i was ready.

We came up with an agreement that each of us would create forces and scenery for two games we don't play as a matter of course. I chose Pulp City and Rob chose an Old West Warhammer-based (Warhammer Historical?) game. he paints and builds more quickly than me so i expected him to finish first, and i think he did also. Well not so! I built 7 boards following the tutorial here, allowing a little variety in 2x3' set-ups. Add a small selction of building and we were ready to go.

Game 1: probably circa 2 hours (it was our first game and we are more used to WH40K so forgive us!); EL 4, Rob as Villains (Rook, Mourn and Gentleman), me as heroes (Solar, Red Riding Hoodoo and Wolf, Androida). We played a simple beatdown over about 4 rounds. Win to the villains. Most valuable supreme: probably Rook, although the game winning move was down to the Gentleman taking out Red Riding Hoodoo to become last man standing after a lucky starting roll in the final round.

Game 2: probably just under 2 hours again, including lunch (bacon sandwiches freshly cooked - mmm!). EL 6, Rob as Heroes (Solar, Androida, Dr Mercury and Harrier), me as Villains (Rook, Gentleman, Francis Gator, Nuke). We played another beatdown over about 4 rounds again. As with the first battle everyone was drifting towards the middle after some early side actions that took out Androida, Gentleman and saw early injury to Solar. Win to the villains. Most valuable supreme: probably Nuke, although the game winning move was down to Rook taking out Harrier who knew she had little chance in the face of his various attacks.

A few things I learned:
- keep aware of the benefits that accrue from Team Powers that gain through the game
- plan you actions ahead, especially when models could be taken down or worse still against action denial actions such as Rook's Checkmate
- be careful of clustering due to Blast and especially Self Blast effects.

A really fun couple of games, although at this stage I worry that Rook is too powerful: I am struggling to see any major downsides to this guy (unles we carried out his actions wrongly!); should his Checkmate have a lesser range? 12 inches seems very long. Or maybe a higher AP cost (1 seems too cheap). This is unless I am missing something obvious, of course.

Still great fun. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:48 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
isnt this a battle report ? (kind of)

I still have to play my first game, but dont see it happening anytime soon :\ tough maybe at spiel in essen ?
I know no gamers in real life.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:54 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Melvin wrote:

I still have to play my first game, but dont see it happening anytime soon :\ tough maybe at spiel in essen ?

Maybe. I see a battle report as something more round by round description, but sorry if it is in the wrong place. It was more intended a collection of thoughts following my first games. :)

Good luck in finding some fellow gamers soon. Do you have a local games shop or club? if so could you play anyone through there?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:05 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Melvin wrote:

I don't know any gamers from the Netherlands, either. However, I met a really cute blonde from the Netherlands while in Mexico a few years ago. . . Settle down, boys, I was on my honeymoon!

:roll:

Seriously - there HAS to be someone in the Netherlands rolling dice in a basement. Good luck on your search.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:24 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
BountyhunterQ, watch out, basements in Europe don't have the same meaning as in North America. And people don't use them to game :shock:

Way to go! Glad you had your first games in. Did you use Checkmate as a one use only? If not, boy, Rook is totally overpowered!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:59 am
Morf wrote:
BountyhunterQ, watch out, basements in Europe don't have the same meaning as in North America. And people don't use them to game :shock:

Way to go! Glad you had your first games in. Did you use Checkmate as a one use only? If not, boy, Rook is totally overpowered!

Yes - beware the basements; and what may be kept down there! :shock:

Yes, we made the mistake of not recognising Checkmate is one use, so that tones him down for next time. That said, he is durable as heck and not easy to take down.

I am working on some more minis to add to our selection options (Trail - my first trail that is :wink: - is nearly done).