<  FAN SECTION  ~  The Hive: a level 6 team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:44 am
MortalPosts: 39Location: Philadelphia, PAJoined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:39 pm
I don't know why, exactly, but Pulp City makes me want to build custom Supremes, far more than Warmachine/Hordes or Infinity, the other two minis games I play, make me want to make customs. So, I have these four minis I bought years ago from a game called 100 Kingdoms, and I made rules to use them as Supremes...

I am looking for as much constructive criticism as possible. I have not been playing this game long, and don't think I have a full handle on the design rules yet, as it were. I have not had an opportunity to do any play-testing yet whatsoever, so there are sure to be large gaping holes (I am missing a number of powers and one team power, to start with the obvious). So please, be brutally honest.

And finally (and perhaps most seriously), they don't have proper names yet. My intention is to find various insect species, but I haven't done that research yet...

I've included links to images of the minis, so you can get an idea where my inspiration came from.

Thanks,
Jason

---------------------

The members of the Hive are not ETs, as one might expect at first
sight, but are from Earth, the result of experimentation gone wrong in
the late 50s. There was a military base set in the jungles of a small
dictatorship in Central America, propped up by the CIA, where the Hive
was created many years ago. But the experiments went out of control,
and the bugs co-opted the base, and eventually, the country. The base,
the experiments done there and even the CIA's support of the country's
dictator were beyond top secret, with no Congressional or military
oversight. So naturally, when the base went dark, the assumption was
that the dictator fell and in the ensuing violence, the base was
destroyed. And even more naturally, when in the late 70s, news of
giant bugs that had overrun an entire country began trickling in, the
government denied all knowledge -- which was at least partially true,
because what few records existed of the military base and its
experiments had been lost and forgotten years before.

Now, the Hive marches ever onward, expanding its territory at the
expense of everyone and everything that stands in its path.

http://cart.blackorc.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=236
Twin 1: Level 1 Science
The Hive
Absorb 1, Deflect 1, Wall crawler
:STR 3
:DEF 4 T
:ENG 2
:AGL 4
:MND 3
:SPT 3

AP 4
HP 9

Bug Rush ( :STR/AP 3): Twin 1 may move up to 4 inches and make a :STR vs. :DEF attack against one or two models. During this movement, Twin 1 gains Reach 1. Movement action, may not be combined with anything.

Scuttle ( :DEF/AP 1): Use outside of normal turn sequence when targeted by attack but before range is measured or dice are rolled. Twin 1 may move up to 2", and may not be targeted by free strikes. If attack no longer legal, attacker may choose different target. (Interrupt) (too much like Chronin's power?)

Shield Brother ( :DEF/AP 3): Shield Brother grants +1 to opposed :DEF and :AGL rolls of all friendly models in base to base. Does not affect Twin 1.

Power ??

Team Power: Has the Barricade skill, but may only benefit Twin 2

http://cart.blackorc.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=236
Twin 2: Level 1 Science
The Hive
Mind's Reach, Super Duo (Twin 1 - :DEF 1), Wall crawler
:STR 2
:DEF 2
:ENG 2
:AGL 3
:MND 5 T
:SPT 4

AP 4
HP 7

Telekinetic Boost ( :MND/RNG 6/AP 2): Target friendly model gains Blitzer 1 (or adds one to existing Blitzer skill) and +1 to opposed :AGL rolls until the end of the game round.

Telekinetic Field ( :MND/AU 4/AP 3): Enemy models treat the aura as difficult terrain, and friendly models within the aura gain Deflect 1.

Telekinetic Push (PR :MND vs. :AGL/RNG 6/AP 2): if Twin 2 wins the opposed roll, target model may be placed anywhere within 2" of their current location. If targeting a friendly model, no opposed roll is necessary.

Telepathic Strike (PR :MND vs. :SPT/RNG 6/AP 2): if Twin 2 wins the opposed roll, the target suffers -1 to all opposed rolls until the end of the game round. This power does no damage.

Team Power: Has the Telepathy 1 skill, but may only target Twin 1

http://cart.blackorc.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=239
Flyer: Level 2 Science
The Hive
Flight 3, Fury 1, Wall crawler
:STR 5 T
:DEF 4
:ENG 4
:AGL 4 T

AP 6
HP 12

Carried Away ( :STR vs. :DEF/AP 3): Movement action, may not be combined with any other action. May only be used when Flyer is Up Up and Away*. Flyer may move up to 5 inches in a straight line, over terrain, models and other obstacles. Resolve an opposed roll against one model that Flyer's base passed over. If Flyer wins the opposed roll, the target model is placed within 1" of Flyer's ending position and is knocked down.

Poison Spit (BL2 :ENG v A/RNG 6/AP 2)

Rend ( :STR vs. :DEF/AP 3): Forfeit all Strike actions for the round. Make one :STR vs. :DEF opposed roll. If successful, pay one AP to make a second :STR vs. :DEF roll with +1 to the opposed roll. If successful, pay one AP to make a third :STR vs. :DEF roll with +2 to the opposed roll. The target suffers Aftershocks equal to the number of successful opposed rolls.

Power ??

Team Power: Hover - While Up, Up and Away*, Flyer's first action of the round does not cost an additional AP to maintain Up Up and Away*.

http://cart.blackorc.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=243
Mantrap: Level 2 Science
The Hive
Aftershocks 1, Reach 1, Wall crawler
:STR 5 T
:DEF 4 T
:ENG 3
:AGL 4

AP 6
HP 13

Lash (PR :STR vs. :AGL/RNG 3/AP2): if Mantrap wins the opposed roll, the target is knocked down.

Mantrap (PR :STR vs. :AGL/RNG 4/AP 2): if Mantrap wins the opposed roll, the target may be pulled directly toward Mantrap. For the rest of the game round, the target cannot make any movement actions. This power does no damage (too much like Father Oak's power?).

Shove ( :STR vs. :DEF/AP2): if Mantrap wins the opposed roll, the target may be moved up to 2" directly away from Mantrap.

Power ??: defensive power, maybe?

Team Power: ??

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:20 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Nice ideas. Cool.

For Mantrap what about a Self Blast power to allow it to attack a number of close enemies?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:37 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Damn it... more bugs :mrgreen:

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:03 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Fun stuff jaults!

I have two quick suggestions. First, in the new flight rules no model will need to pay AP's to stay Up up and away. So you can give the flyer a new team power. Second, Rend is way too powerful for 3 AP's.

Most often he will want to charge with the asttack which will effectively make his first attack :STR 6, then his second :STR 6, and third :STR 7. He could trump or Power Up any of these rolls. Then it has Aftershocks! That is insanely dangerous for 3 AP's. I might make the first attack at :STR -1, second at :STR , and third at :STR +1. If you want to keep the aftershocks then I'm make this manuever cost 5 AP's so all he could do that round is move and make this super-attack.

And, I love Carried Away. That is just fun.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:17 pm
Invader Larb wrote:
Second, Rend is way too powerful for 3 AP's.

Most often he will want to charge with the asttack which will effectively make his first attack :STR 6, then his second :STR 6, and third :STR 7. He could trump or Power Up any of these rolls. Then it has Aftershocks! That is insanely dangerous for 3 AP's. I might make the first attack at :STR -1, second at :STR , and third at :STR +1. If you want to keep the aftershocks then I'm make this manuever cost 5 AP's so all he could do that round is move and make this super-attack.

Thanks for your thoughts, Mr. Larb. Carried Away is my favorite power I wrote for these guys...

I don't think you are reading Rend correctly, though. If the flyer wants to pull off all three attacks, it will cost 5 APs. The first attack costs three, and each subsequent attack costs another one AP, and that is only if each previous attack is successful. This will allow him to charge, but nothing else. No power up possible.

Give it another read, and let me know if you still think it is too powerful.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:29 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
John S. wrote:

Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:31 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Ah-ha. Yup, that is in there. I see. So if his first attack fails to do damage, he will not have the option of making the second roll. But at least he does not spend all of the AP's. Nice.

I might reword it slightly to read as:

Rend ( :STR vs. :DEF /AP 3): Forfeit all Strike actions for the round. Make one :STR vs. :DEF opposed roll at -1 to the roll. If the attack does damage, this model may pay one AP to make a second :STR vs. :DEF roll against the same target. If the second attack does damage, this model may pay one more AP to make a third :STR vs. :DEF roll with +1 to the opposed roll versus the same target. The target suffers Aftershocks equal to the total number of Rend attacks that do damage.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm
Invader Larb wrote:
Ah-ha. Yup, that is in there. I see. So if his first attack fails to do damage, he will not have the option of making the second roll. But at least he does not spend all of the AP's. Nice.

I might reword it slightly to read as:

Rend ( :STR vs. :DEF /AP 3): Forfeit all Strike actions for the round. Make one :STR vs. :DEF opposed roll at -1 to the roll. If the attack does damage, this model may pay one AP to make a second :STR vs. :DEF roll against the same target. If the second attack does damage, this model may pay one more AP to make a third :STR vs. :DEF roll with +1 to the opposed roll versus the same target. The target suffers Aftershocks equal to the total number of Rend attacks that do damage.

Cool, thanks. So you think that a -1 to the first roll is necessary to balance it out? He can get the charge bonus, and can trump, so maybe that is better...

Any other thoughts on the other rules? I tried to make sure that the models worked well together, but would still be useful used separately, and I think I succeeded. Of course, the twins are especially designed to work together.

Jason

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:43 pm
Oh, and what about the costs of the powers? I sometimes had a hard time determining how expensive a power should be. I tried to think about what actions a model would be doing in a typical turn, and go from there.

Jason

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:33 pm
In general you want each supreme to have 1 staple power they use often, one big signiture move that costss more AP like Rend or actions that costs level 1's all of their AP's, plus an augmentation power (not an attack), and a situational power.

You should try them ourt on the table and you'll see where they work well, work poorly, and work too well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:47 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Scorpio wrote:
John S. wrote:

Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?

And that is a question!
Bug hunts are cool. Pulp City will have a different hive mind threat but bugs are always cool.

Nice take on them!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:22 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 51Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:32 am
after playing against thses guys they are pretty damn fun. Gotta say you did a good job on them.