<  FAN SECTION  ~  Col. Glaive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:54 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
For consideration and critique:

Hero/Villain: Col. Glaive

Appearance: cyborg soldier wielding an energized glaive

Colonel Glaive arrived with little explanation in Pulp City during an era of tumultuous events. To his occasional allies it was never certain where his true loyalties lay. He appeared to readily side with whoever had current goals that aligned best with his own mysterious objectives. June Summers has tried to uncover more details about this wild card, but her investigations turned up nothing.
The story of his origin is seemingly as obscure as his motives. His cybernetic parts showed evidence of the same type of technology employed in Advanced Sentry Bot construction, yet Heavy Metal have clearly distanced themselves from Col. Glaive?s actions and are certainly interested in finding out more about him. Glaive wields a mighty glaive which is either a conduit for his own power or is the source of his tremendous energy abilities. Again the facts of this are clouded in uncertainty.

The truth of Col. Glaive?s history however, is beyond the imagining or speculations of June Summers or the myriad members of Heavy Metal. Colonel Glaive is a pseudonym adopted by Colonel William Alpha Dagon, of the Supreme Resistance Force, a ragtag bunch of rebels from one possible future timeline. His Earth as he knows it has been ravaged by supreme ?centered conflicts for decades, which in time led to the planet being powerless in the face of a final extra-terrestrial invasion. Supreme and more conventional forces fell quickly. Civil infrastructure fell into rapid chaos on a global scale as all sense of governance crumbled.
Worldwide, pockets of resistance held out. One by one each of these SRF cells was wiped out, the invaders crushing all before them as they enslaved what they wanted of the populace and extracted all of the resources they needed from the ailing civilization and planet. The few remaining cells fought to maintain shaky communications, fought for their own survival and ultimately fought for the merest of small victories in the face of an overwhelming foe.
In the numbers of one cell a veteran cyborg supreme and soldier named Colonel Dagon was the leader, battling valiantly to keep his freedom fighters alive whilst trying to achieve his mission objectives.
Dagon possessed a strange power allowing him to create small chronal disturbances, but in comparison to the abilities of other supremes his power seemed minor at best. Not all of the resistance cells thought that way however.
One cell was led by an aged and silver-haired super-intelligent orangutan who used the call-sign Old Red. Old Red had greater understanding of the Resistance forces and their resources than any other, and as such he was tasked with coordinating efforts where possible. Realizing their mission to overthrow the invading oppressors was ultimately doomed, and extermination likely, Old Red considered all of his options. All possible scenarios ended in the same probable outcome ? loss and either enslavement or death at the hands of the invaders. Then a thought occurred to him. Among the ragtag remnants of technology that Old Red had access to were the mutagenic devices perfected by the long-dead Mysterious Man. In fact Old Red had commandeered the Mysterious Man?s island base after his death. Unfortunately those devices were long-since damaged and of course their creator had left no instruction manuals. Old Red was nothing if not determined in the face of the greatest adversity. He worked tirelessly and as quickly as possible and so reconstructed and adapted the technology as best as he could.
Old Red contacted Colonel Dagon as soon as he was ready. Dagon was concerned immediately as the normally calm Old Red was nervous, with doubt evident in his voice. Old Red outlined his plan which was two-fold and required sacrifice on the part of the colonel. Dagon accepted immediately. He knew that the time was close that the Resistance would finally crumble and all would likely be lost.
Dagon joined up with old red, losing men along the way. They understood and accepted their own sacrifice, but their lives mattered to him and spurred him to make sure Old Red?s plan would succeed.
Arriving at the old ape?s base they had to act quickly. Enemy forces were closing in. Old Red subjected Dagon to an accelerated process that was excruciatingly painful for the soldier. He emerged his body nearly broken, but his spirit unbowed. Enemy recon units scoured the nearby area above the base. Time was trickling away, but Old Red smiled at this though, for in some ways if his plan worked he would have all of the time in the world?
Old Red hoisted Dagon into a strange cocoon-like chamber. The chamber was attached to a jury-rigged device that used cannibalized technology that had belonged to the supreme known as Chronin. He handed to Dagon a primitive-looking weapon that Dagon recognized as a glaive of sorts. The sounds of the invading forces came ever closer. The remnants of both Old Red and Dagon?s SRF cells fell one by one against the onslaught of their attackers.
Old Red whispered to Dagon that all he would need to know was contained in the intricate memory bank hidden in the glaive. Old Red called this memory core ?the Schism?. He said that Dagon was reborn and Old Red re-christened him as Colonel Glaive. Old Red activated the cocoon device just as enemy forces breached his lab, blasting energy weapons at him and turning everything to sheer white light as a weakened Dagon watched on. Then everything turned black.

Colonel Glaive awoke weak and almost helpless in a Pulp City alleyway. He was far in the past, relative to his own present. The Schism activated and he felt its artificially intelligent thoughts in his mind. It revealed that Old Red had altered his powers to allow him to manipulate anti?chronal energy through his weapon, and that his new mission was to stop the future he had known from coming to pass. Somehow Old Red had come up with a one-way ticket for just one man into the past. Now all Colonel Glaive had to do was to change the future ? by any means necessary. The Schism mapped out likely change scenarios that could tip events in his favor, and so Colonel Glaive set to work.
?

Last edited by pulpcitizen on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:56 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
REVISED ACTIONS AND TEAM POWER

EDIT: revised

Last edited by pulpcitizen on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:32 pm
Any comments or criticism?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:01 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
I like the story, like the concept.

My only criticisms are 1) his powers feel too cheap and 2) 4" is nothing when talking about deployment. Make it 12" or something major! Those are just feelings I get from reading him, not based on any actual playtime or deep reasoning. But 4 melee Opposed Rolls in one Game Round at Reach 1?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:09 pm
Cilionelle wrote:
I like the story, like the concept.

My only criticisms are 1) his powers feel too cheap and 2) 4" is nothing when talking about deployment. Make it 12" or something major! Those are just feelings I get from reading him, not based on any actual playtime or deep reasoning. But 4 melee Opposed Rolls in one Game Round at Reach 1?

Thanks Tom.

I think you are right about some of the AP costs. What about Glaive Strike at 3 or even 4 AP? How would that feel? If at 4 it means he either moves or makes his maximum number of attacks, but not both. I feel AP 3 may be better though, since it means Col. Glaive could hammer into one or two targets at most, but then cannot use his defensive ability at all if using his maximum number of attacks - and obviously he does not have any defensive trumps to rely on either. Any further thoughts on this?

Re: deployment, I may split the difference and make it 6 or 8 inches, simply as otherwise it really hampers placement of all models, not just Col. Glaive. Thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:22 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
leonmallett wrote:
What about Glaive Strike at 3 or even 4 AP? How would that feel? If at 4 it means he either moves or makes his maximum number of attacks, but not both. I feel AP 3 may be better though, since it means Col. Glaive could hammer into one or two targets at most, but then cannot use his defensive ability at all if using his maximum number of attacks - and obviously he does not have any defensive trumps to rely on either. Any further thoughts on this?

Yeah, try it at three and see what happens, how it works.

leonmallett wrote:
Re: deployment, I may split the difference and make it 6 or 8 inches, simply as otherwise it really hampers placement of all models, not just Col. Glaive. Thoughts on this?

Surely the downside of the teampower is that it will hamper deployment for your team? Again, try it out and see. 8" is where I'd start (but that doesn't say much!)

Love the concept, though. Good ol' timetravel!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:06 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yup he is pretty cool. Few things

Glaive Strike: Need to state it only hits one model. If you want to make it cheaper then you could have it so the :ENG strike only goes off if the :STR strike does damage. That would be a 2AP power.

Energy Shield: I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Can you explain what this is supposed to do?

His team power: Being able to force an agenda on your opponent can offten just plain lose them the game. WAY WAY to powerful. It would need to be changed to something like: Before the first starting roll of the game you may force you opponent to reveal to you one Agenda. This agenda is then discarded and the opponent must choose a new Agenda not currently in play.

Otherwise no. No, and HELL NO. Still good idea keep working on it man.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:55 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Yup he is pretty cool. Few things

Glaive Strike: Need to state it only hits one model. If you want to make it cheaper then you could have it so the :ENG strike only goes off if the :STR strike does damage. That would be a 2AP power.

I like this way of looking at it. I will revise the text.

Quote:
Energy Shield: I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Can you explain what this is supposed to do?

Fluff terms - he uses his 'anti-chronal' energy to avoid damage. Basically in game terms it is an out of sequence action. If the :ENG +D6 roll equals/beats the damage inflicted, no damage is taken.

I was hoping the text was self-explanatory. Does it need revision?

Quote:
His team power: Being able to force an agenda on your opponent can offten just plain lose them the game. WAY WAY to powerful. It would need to be changed to something like: Before the first starting roll of the game you may force you opponent to reveal to you one Agenda. This agenda is then discarded and the opponent must choose a new Agenda not currently in play.

Otherwise no. No, and HELL NO. Still good idea keep working on it man.

Duly noted - I think your version is much more approrpriate and will revise accordingly.

Thanks for the thoughts. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:02 am
Cilionelle wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
What about Glaive Strike at 3 or even 4 AP? How would that feel? If at 4 it means he either moves or makes his maximum number of attacks, but not both. I feel AP 3 may be better though, since it means Col. Glaive could hammer into one or two targets at most, but then cannot use his defensive ability at all if using his maximum number of attacks - and obviously he does not have any defensive trumps to rely on either. Any further thoughts on this?

Yeah, try it at three and see what happens, how it works.

leonmallett wrote:

Surely the downside of the teampower is that it will hamper deployment for your team? Again, try it out and see. 8" is where I'd start (but that doesn't say much!)

Love the concept, though. Good ol' timetravel!

Thanks again Tom.

I am working on the conversion for the Colonel, so hopefully will get to try him next time I play.

Leon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:13 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 35Location: Skierniewice, PolandJoined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:48 pm
I agree with Beermonkey's pointers. Only one suggestion/question on my part: how about making the glaive a resource? It seem to be preety personal item, like Rook's halaberd or Hellsmith's hammer. Then Glaive Strike could stay as it is - in terms of rolls, I agre it should be 3 AP, at least. Just the thought :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:39 pm
Shalashaska wrote:
I agree with Beermonkey's pointers. Only one suggestion/question on my part: how about making the glaive a resource? It seem to be preety personal item, like Rook's halaberd or Hellsmith's hammer. Then Glaive Strike could stay as it is - in terms of rolls, I agre it should be 3 AP, at least. Just the thought :)

Good idea.

Just for clarification do you mean split the action over the character card and the resource? Or move it to the resource (in which case Col. Glaive needs another exclusive action)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:18 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
leonmallett wrote:

Quote:

Fluff terms - he uses his 'anti-chronal' energy to avoid damage. Basically in game terms it is an out of sequence action. If the :ENG +D6 roll equals/beats the damage inflicted, no damage is taken.

Well, it's not very clear, as you forgot to mention about the +D6, so a rewording wouldn't be too much I think :)

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:56 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Acctuallly having to make a secondary opposed roll for this is really messy. Don't like it at all. Rember boys and girls we try and keep Pulp simple. MOST Actions should be resolved on a single roll. SO here are two of my takes on this action. Different levels of badass but both acomplishing what you want.

Energy Shield ( :ENG Vs. :STR or :ENG /1 AP): Immediate Interupt. When forced to make an opposed roll to defend himself Col. Glaive can substitute his :ENG for either his :DEF or :AGL .

Energy Shield ( :ENG / 2AP) Immediate Interupt. When forced to make an opposed roll to defend himself Col. Glaive can add his :ENG to either his :DEF or :AGL scores. This roll may not be Trumped or Powered Up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:07 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Acctuallly having to make a secondary opposed roll for this is really messy. Don't like it at all. Rember boys and girls we try and keep Pulp simple. MOST Actions should be resolved on a single roll. SO here are two of my takes on this action. Different levels of badass but both acomplishing what you want.

Energy Shield ( :ENG Vs. :STR or :ENG /1 AP): Immediate Interupt. When forced to make an opposed roll to defend himself Col. Glaive can substitute his :ENG for either his :DEF or :AGL .

Energy Shield ( :ENG / 2AP) Immediate Interupt. When forced to make an opposed roll to defend himself Col. Glaive can add his :ENG to either his :DEF or :AGL scores. This roll may not be Trumped or Powered Up.

It is actually modelled loosely on an existing action - Twilight's Vanish without the movement component.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:08 am
John S. wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

Quote:

Well, it's not very clear, as you forgot to mention about the +D6, so a rewording wouldn't be too much I think :)

The shame, the shame... :oops:

Thanks for the catch John S.