<  FAN SECTION  ~  Lady Cyburn Redraw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 30Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 am
So, I am not at all impressed with Lady Cyburn. Perhaps the miniature will come out ok, but that concept art is simply bad. Rather than just complain, I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is and do a redraw.
So here you have it, a somewhat more anatomically correct and less awkward looking Lady Cyburn. It's still a little rough around the edges, and not necessarily in a particularly comic-book style, but I think it's still an improvement.

I still think she looks like a bad 80's cyborg, but since I have a feeling the concept is already set in stone and all the product basically finished, I decided to just stick to a redraw instead of a re-design.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:28 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
That's good work. We need to see more "fan art" and other concepts added around here.

I'm glad you shared and took an opportunity to redraw Cyburn.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:41 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Vax, that is awesome.

I'm sure we'll see alternate ideas eventually for our beloved supremes, so there's no reason there can't be multiple versions (eventually).

I don't think you went so far off the mark that nobody would recognize Cyburn, you kept it true to the original concept, but freshened up a few spots. I really dig this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:28 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Nicely, Nicely . . . . .

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:37 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Vaxillus wrote:
I still think she looks like a bad 80's cyborg,

Look, it was the 80's, things were different back then... :}

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:03 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Love the re-draw man! Came out really nice. Hope the model looks as good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:28 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
Quote:
Perhaps the miniature will come out ok,

it will Trust me :roll:

end yes the "orginal Art" is BAD 1
BtW : Where is belly button ??

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:20 pm
MortalPosts: 15Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:14 am
She reminds me to Ladytron from the WildC.A.T.S.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:29 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I may be alone in that I do like the original concept a lot. Art is a purely subjective thing, but to me it is clear, conveys what she is about, and the design notes are recognisable.

That said, Vaxillus' rendition is great - love the 'painted style' colouring especially.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:07 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
hehe not the only redraw that happened. its looking good!
both this, my own redraw nor the mini really scream playmate babe to me (androida much more so.) not saying that it makes it bad, a true punk offcourse had no intention at all to be a playmate babe ;)
so people who were worried about the cheesecake mention a while back, in the greater spectrum of both miniatures and comicbook character, this is just a female superhero-cyborg, no strings attached (pun unintended) and far from cheesecake/babe types (and once again, Im not being negative about it, just an observation... I think with her backstory and basic concept, the current result is better.)

I see that leon has been promoted to teaser-level clearance btw ;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:09 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Define "cheesecake". . . I think there may be something lost in the translation here. . . : )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:57 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
BountyhunterQ wrote:
Define "cheesecake". . . I think there may be something lost in the translation here. . . : )

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/cheesecake :shock:

I'd never heard of that before either . . . . . . .

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:51 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
in that case Im using the word wrongly :mrgreen: oops..

babeness, sex sells blabla .. that kind of stuff was what I was referring to.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:53 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 30Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 am
Maru wrote:
BtW : Where is belly button ??

Haha, looks like mine isn't perfect either.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm hoping to do some of my own supremes done in the future for fun, probably with some fan rules. Maybe I'll get something done for the next Supreme Genesis, though I think that's a ways off.

And the original art isn't all bad. It has attitude. However, there are definitely some anatomical errors that go beyond creative license, which is what irked me, along with some very strange choices with how the flesh and metal surfaces fit together.

Also, while I'm ok with a little bit of 'sex sells,' there's a point where practicality makes things simply ridiculous. Hotpants I could understand, or maybe cutoff jean-shorts. The bionikini is just weird and makes me uncomfortable with the idea of owning something and what it says about my interests and idea of women. It's not nearly as bizarre as our favorite android feminist forgoing clothing and running around buck naked, with artwork clearly attempting to make her out as a sex symbol rather than any sort of feminist. In that case, the artwork succeeded in technical terms, but completely failed in terms of illustrative content.

However, Pulp has, for the most part, some amazing artwork and constraints in the schedule means sometimes the occasional less than perfect bit gets through. I'm definitely willing to overlook one or two pieces that don't suit my tastes. Doesn't mean I won't speak up about it though. I think feedback is always good for a company as long as it's constructive in intent. And, I wrote too much.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:04 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Melvin wrote:
...I see that leon has been promoted to teaser-level clearance btw ;)

Love your new avatar... :lol: