<  FAN SECTION  ~  Mirrormind - help and advice sought

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Here is my latest homebrew... I feel there are areas of her rules thst i need to clarify and rewrite. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Mirrormind

Miriam Hinds was a promising young psychologist until an encounter with a team of Supreme heroes in pursuit of a shape-shifter left her in a coma for 4 months. Coming out of the coma, she discovered that she could make copies of herself and control them as if they were her own body. She also extended this control to simultaneous awareness and the ability to transfer her true consciousness to a copy in case of incapacity or death.

Mystery Origin Villain

:STR 2, :DEF 3, :ENG 3, :AGL 3, :MND 6, :SPT 5

AP 6, LVL 2, DMG 10

Skills: Mind Fortress, Telekinesis (5)

The Mind's Grasp ( :MND vs :SPT / AP 4 )
May only be used with two or more Copies in play. Choose 2 copies within :MND range of Mirromind Alpha. Any models between Mirrormind Alpha and her Copies suffer damage and cannot use Movement Actions until the end of the Game Round.

Soul Mate ( :MND / AP 3 )
Place a second Mirrormind model within :MND range. This Copy has all the same traits as Mirrormind, with 3 damage boxes, but is considered a Solo Minion for gameplay and scoring purposes. The Copy may use any of the original Mirrormind's exclusive actions as if the original Mirrormind were using them. Reduce Mirrormind's AP allowance by one for each Mirrormind Copy in play. There may only be a maximum of three Copies in play at any one time.

Many Minds Make Light Work ( :MND vs :SPT / Range 6 / AP 2 )
May only be used with one or more Copy in play. Target model must be in range for both Mirrormind and a Copy. For each Copy in range, roll one extra die for the Opposed roll, choosing the highest.

Hold That Thought* ( :SPT / AP 2 )
May only be used with one or more Copy in play. Choose a Copy within :SPT range of Mirrormind Alpha. This Copy becomes Mirrormind Alpha and vice versa, with the new Mirrormind Alpha losing any conditions of the previous Mirrormind but keeping those of the Copy. The new Copy loses any damage boxes above three and the new Alpha may be healed to Mirrormind's maximum health.

Team Power - Ever a Spare
At the start of the game, Mirrormind is considered the Mirrormind Alpha. When Mirrormind is Incapacitated, Eliminated or otherwise removed from play and there is at least one Copy in play, Mirrormind may immediately make the Hold That Thought* action for free. If there are no Copies remaining on the board, Mirrormind is Eliminated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:27 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Your concepts, as always are interesting. This one though, is definitely a step up in terms of complexity. I think that if you want to really balance it, you're going to have a harder time.

When I see one of these supremes, I always think about what we already have in the game, just to get a comparison. In this case, we have strong links to Le Murtiple.

My initial thoughts are that this model will be a bit tough to deal with for some teams. Yes, the defensive stats are low, but that really doesn't matter since you'll have time to make duplicates in the early rounds, and Ever a Spare means that defenses aren't really that important.

If I understand this character, you'll start every game gradually advancing and making copies. I assume you wouldn't want to max out the copies, because with reduced AP each time, 3 copies would make mirormind far less useful.

Actually, when you spend a move action, does it move one mirormind or all of them?

With that question aside, you've advanced near the enemy, you've got 2 duplicates, your main attack power every round will likely be Many Minds Make Light Work. For 2 AP, you get a trumped :MND 6 attack, which can be powered up, but you also get roll multiple additional dice. Yes, it's only once per round, but that can hurt.

Next question, as it stands now, why would someone use Hold That Thought? At this point, the copies can use your general AP pool to launch the attacks, if needed, and if your main Mirrormind is eliminated, you get to use the action for free, which saves you 2 AP.

Anyway, those are some initial thoughts. Fascinating idea, but you've got a tough character to balance in this one...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
cardboardvampire wrote:
Your concepts, as always are interesting. This one though, is definitely a step up in terms of complexity. I think that if you want to really balance it, you're going to have a harder time.

Yep, I figured. That's why I'm posting it here! :D

cardboardvampire wrote:
When I see one of these supremes, I always think about what we already have in the game, just to get a comparison. In this case, we have strong links to Le Murtiple.

Knowing there were similarities, I intentionally didn't look at Le Murtiple, mainly because I wanted to see what it would look like from my own perspective.

cardboardvampire wrote:
My initial thoughts are that this model will be a bit tough to deal with for some teams. Yes, the defensive stats are low, but that really doesn't matter since you'll have time to make duplicates in the early rounds, and Ever a Spare means that defenses aren't really that important.

Any Supreme can have elements that are "tough to deal with for some teams." I think that's a given...

cardboardvampire wrote:
If I understand this character, you'll start every game gradually advancing and making copies. I assume you wouldn't want to max out the copies, because with reduced AP each time, 3 copies would make mirormind far less useful.

Most likely, yeah.

cardboardvampire wrote:
Actually, when you spend a move action, does it move one mirormind or all of them?

I was thinking just one. The APs can be spend by any, but only one model actually takes the action.

cardboardvampire wrote:
With that question aside, you've advanced near the enemy, you've got 2 duplicates, your main attack power every round will likely be Many Minds Make Light Work. For 2 AP, you get a trumped :MND 6 attack, which can be powered up, but you also get roll multiple additional dice. Yes, it's only once per round, but that can hurt.

Up the AP cost? Lower the :MND score?

cardboardvampire wrote:
Next question, as it stands now, why would someone use Hold That Thought? At this point, the copies can use your general AP pool to launch the attacks, if needed, and if your main Mirrormind is eliminated, you get to use the action for free, which saves you 2 AP.

Good point. Perhaps the tinkering could be that only the Alpha can use actions. In that case, Hold That Thought would probably need to be AP 1 to open up the board more. And it can only be used once a round.

cardboardvampire wrote:
Anyway, those are some initial thoughts. Fascinating idea, but you've got a tough character to balance in this one...

Thanks, CBV, I appreciate the time. I'd love to hear some thoughts on how you'd go about balancing her out too, if you'd be interested.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:20 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Cilionelle wrote:
cardboardvampire wrote:

I was thinking just one. The APs can be spend by any, but only one model actually takes the action.

It's an option, but remember that with your current rules, for your powers to be effective, you need to get multiple copies to the right area... if only one can move when you take an action, you'd be able to move a max of two of the models per round.

Cilionelle wrote:
cardboardvampire wrote:

Up the AP cost? Lower the :MND score?

Also an option, but I'd wait to adjust those for the moment...

Cilionelle wrote:
cardboardvampire wrote:

Good point. Perhaps the tinkering could be that only the Alpha can use actions. In that case, Hold That Thought would probably need to be AP 1 to open up the board more. And it can only be used once a round.

Interesting idea.... I think the once er round part is a very good move.

Cilionelle wrote:
cardboardvampire wrote:

Thanks, CBV, I appreciate the time. I'd love to hear some thoughts on how you'd go about balancing her out too, if you'd be interested.

I'm always glad to help. Just remember, we have actual designers on the boards here. I'm just a fan who gets borred at work.

Here's an idea... why not have an Alpha who starts with two duplicates and keeps those two for the entire game. Since the duplicates are reflections of the original, why not share one damage track, and make it a little bigger to reflect the fact that it's a little more vulnerable.

Go with the option that if one moves, all can move, but only the alpha can initiate actions. For the attack powers, keep the bonus for any duplicates in range, that's a cool idea and the tradeoff, is that if multiple duplicates are in range, you have the potential to also make yourself more vulnerable to counterattack.

Hold that thought is too cool to forget, so make sure to keep that one... What I'd suggest for this though, is use it to just make the alpha trade places with the copies. This would give you a certain mobility with the alpha and also add a little unpredictability which would mean you could attack from diferent locations.

With this version, it would be more about risk management. How exposed do you want her to be in order to get the maximum benefits to the attacks?

You'll note I also havn't said much about attack powers, because I think you'll want to figure out the basic way the character wil play before worrying about that.

:) I don't know... I'm just trying to make suggestions.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:55 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Just gave her a real quick glance and had to chuckle! Some stuff coming down the pipe you're gonna love. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:55 am
Punk! We need more information! Nay, we demand it!

(Ah, in a nice, polite way, of course...)

:oops: