<  FAN SECTION  ~  New Hero: Kid Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:25 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 174Location: Chicago, USAJoined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:27 pm
Here is a new Hero I have been working on based on a couple minis I had laying around... one was a Nerd townsfolk mini from Reaper... and the other a classic horror movies Wolfman. So for Kid Werewolf's human form I went with something of a nerdy Gamer Geek/Hacker.... and for his Wolfman form, something a little more feral. I havn't played him yet... don't know if he is useful, broken, or what... but I'd accept any input you guys might have:

Kid Werewolf (Human)
Level 2 Hero Mystery
STR:3 DEF:3
ENG:3 AGL:3
MND:5(t) SPR:4
Lucky, Nimble, Instability 2 Shapeshift/Kid Werewolf (Wolfman)
DMG 14 AP5

Humiliating Soliloquy (PR MND vs SPR) RNG 6, AP1
Kid Werewolf launches into a humiliating series of insults
that do no damage, However models failing the opposed
roll against it must pay 1 additional AP per activation for
the remainder of the round.

Hack Attack (Mnd vs DEF) Ap2
Any Hostile Mechanical Resource/Minion takes no damage
but instead becomes a Friendly Minion or Resource for the
remainder of the Encounter. Note This attack ignores
Immune/Mind skills.

EEP! Hide! (def) AP1
Until his next movement action, Kid Werewolf gains Blend 1

EEP! RUN! (agl) AP1
On his next Movement action, Kid Werewolf gains Blitzer 1

Team Power I Rolled a Natural 20!
Kid Werewolf (Human) gets an automatic Success on a 5 or a 6
Instead of the normal 6

------------------------------------------------

Kid Werewolf (Wolfman)
Level 2 Hero Mystery
STR:5(t) DEF:4
ENG:3 AGL:3
MND:3(t) SPR:4
Nimble, Bruiser, Regeneration 2 Shapeshift/Kid Werewolf (human) Weakness/Silver
DMG 14 AP5

Maul (Str vs Def) AP1
A Successful hit with the Maul attack grants Kid Werewolf Fury 2

Pounce (PR STR vs AGL) Rng 3 AP2
Move Kid Werewolf up to 3 inches into Base 2 Base with an
Opposing model. If the opposed rolled is failed, do nothing more.
If the opposed roll is successful, the model takes no damage but is
Considered knocked down. Move Kid Werewolf immediately 3”
In a straight line directly opposite where he started his pounce.

Leap* AP2
Kid Werewolf may move d6+AGL in any direction, including vertical.

Howl AP2
Howl works like the Terrorize action. Roll a D6.
The result is the number of citizens closest to Kid Werewolf that
Immediately run away from him 2” in a straight line.

Team Power Unreasoning Rage
Every Time Kid Werewolf (wolfman) takes damage, Add 1
Rage counter to his Card. When all 3 Rage counters are
Filled, Kid Werewolf suffers from Unreasoning Rage: He will
Automatically attack the nearest model (friend or foe alike)
And may not use his shapeshift power to return to Human Form.
Friendly models may spend 1 AP to reason with Kid Werewolf
(wolfman). Make an opposed roll (mnd vs Spr). For every
Success, remove 1 rage counter from Kid Werewolf. When
All 3 counters are gone, Kid Werewolf will automatically
Shapeshift to Kid Werewolf (human).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:26 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
LOVE the Name!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:21 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I really like the basic concept, but do think it needs a bit of work around some of the rules. :)

First thought; keep the same number of Trumps for both forms, even if for different Traits. Maybe :MND for geek, and either :AGL or :SPT for werewolf.

Secondly, maybe consider having him as a L1 instead, which would allow for diversity and better reflect a weaker geekly human form. His human form has decent skills and a decent Team power, so a lower damage track and just a single Trump for both forms might be better balanced. His Traits reflect more of a L1 in capability. Also Regeneration 2 is probably too high - even Loup Garou II only has Regeneration 1.

Weakness/Silver will be meaningless without an opposing model with Damage Source/Silver.

Hack Attack: maybe drop this to 1 AP and have it work for the Round - no-one likes to lose their toys permanently. :)

Maul granting Fury 2 for basically an extra AP over a Strike? I would change it to Fury 1, or even to something like this (and see the Team Power suggestion below):

Maul ( :STR vs :DEF /AP 1): You may spend Rage Points to add to the Opposed Roll at 1 Rage Point per +1.

Pounce could be done more simply: treat it as a Charge* with Bruiser. The reason why it may be better to do it this way is that you then avoid unnecessary complexity and issue of moving across/into other models, Terrain etc. Believe it or not, our rule of thumb is 'keep it simple'. Some actions just are not easily kept simple, but usually if there is a simpler way to model an Action, then it is usually the better way. :)

With Leap ask yourself why the random element? What are you trying to achieve with that? Should it be a Movement Action (think about the implications if it is or is not)?

Unreasoning Rage - needs to be better defined; you do not define how he attacks etc. Again look to maybe simplify this. Look at how Rage functions for Gorgoroth in particular. Rather than the talking down aspect and only triggering the negative at the full limit of Rage Points, why not make it have a useful incremental effect?

Maybe something like this:

Team Power Unreasoning Rage
Every Time Kid Werewolf (Wolfman) takes Damage, Add 1 Rage Point to his Card. Rage Points increase the cost of Shapeshift and Beacon of Hope Actions used by Kid Werewolf (Wolfman), and reduce his Command Range by 2 inches per Rage Point. In addition, add the Rage Points to the total distance Citizens are moved by Howl.

Just a few ideas. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:28 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
I think the Citizen has covered some good points there.
But if you want to keep Weakness/Silver, which I love the idea of, what about Weakness/Silver(Mechanical) or (Guns)
I know guns isnt a listed opton but it would be easy enough to work out. Just anyone holding a gun!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Good ideas there guys... thanks! Couple of notes... I screwed up when I copied the Stats from one form to the next... in Wolfman form mind isnt a trump trait... nice catch. Also I'm planning to offset the weakness to silver with a resource that can be purchased called "Silver Bullets", which I probably should have included in the above profile as well...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:12 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:

Pounce could be done more simply: treat it as a Charge* with Bruiser. The reason why it may be better to do it this way is that you then avoid unnecessary complexity and issue of moving across/into other models, Terrain etc. Believe it or not, our rule of thumb is 'keep it simple'. Some actions just are not easily kept simple, but usually if there is a simpler way to model an Action, then it is usually the better way. :)

The thing I am trying to accomplish with Pounce, and maybe you can think of a better way to do it...

Picture the two opponents facing off... and Kid Werewolf leaps forward, hits the enemy and then springboards off of him, knocking him to the ground and landing further along, out of B2B with the opponent. Sort of like the old "Move Through" attack from the original Champions RPG but dealing knockdown instead of damage.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:23 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
LabApe wrote:
pulpcitizen wrote:

The thing I am trying to accomplish with Pounce, and maybe you can think of a better way to do it...

Picture the two opponents facing off... and Kid Werewolf leaps forward, hits the enemy and then springboards off of him, knocking him to the ground and landing further along, out of B2B with the opponent. Sort of like the old "Move Through" attack from the original Champions RPG but dealing knockdown instead of damage.

Don't forget that being in Base to Base and leaving would trigger Free Strike. Are you allowing for that to happen, or do you see Immune/Free Strike as part of the Pounce Action?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:02 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
Don't forget that being in Base to Base and leaving would trigger Free Strike. Are you allowing for that to happen, or do you see Immune/Free Strike as part of the Pounce Action?

I assumed that a model that was knocked down would not get a free strike... is that incorrect?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:14 pm
LabApe wrote:
pulpcitizen wrote:

I assumed that a model that was knocked down would not get a free strike... is that incorrect?

Very good point!

Then I may suggest this:

Pounce ( :STR vs. :AGL /AP 2): Movement Action. Move Kid Werewolf up to 6 inches, and if he is in Base to Base with at least one Enemy model as a result, target one Enemy with the Opposed Roll. This Action deals no Damage, but the amount the Opposed Roll is won by counts as though it was Damage and as though Kid Werewolf had the Bruiser Skill to determine Knock Down. If the model targeted by the Opposed Action is Knocked Down, then Kid Werewolf may use any unused movement allowed by this Action.

The reason I suggest doing it this way is that it still factors target :STR (via Bruiser) in the Knock Down comparison, and makes it worthwhile to get a good result (quality of result) rather than a simple yes/no binary outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:56 am
That looks pretty good... it gives larger/stronger models more of an advantage against the knockdown than a smaller/weaker one.

Offline Profile