<  Battle Reports  ~  Face-Off - Battle at 5th and Main St.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:19 am
MortalPosts: 31Location: SE MichiganJoined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:49 am
The setup was another Level 4 Face Off Scenario using a typical street intersection with lots of cars (because throwing cars is pretty fun in this game). Game Length 6 turns, objective is to eliminate as many of the opposing forces within the given time limit.

With a level 4, there are 4 Citizens on the scene, so I grabbed my gang of Meddling Teenagers from Hasslefree Miniatures who appear to be looking for clues as to who abandoned these two sports cars that collided in the intersection.

The antagonist are Guerilla with his Tracker and Extra Ammo and Tangent who is accompanied with a pair of Corrupt Cops (represented by some Heroclix police officers that are primed but not yet painted) and a Gang of Hired Guns (represented by some Void Militia). Their agenda is to create mayhem in this part of the city, so they are planning on killing as many citizens as they can.

The protagonists to the battle are Irontrain equipped with some High Octane Fuel and a pair of Pulp City Cops (represented by a pair of Foundy Street Violence Police Officers), Red Riding Hoodoo with Zombie Wolf, and Harrier with a Medical Kit. Their Agenda is to save as many citizens as they can.

After all the terrain is placed, the citizens are placed in the center and deviation dice (1 0r 2 d6) are rolled to determine their location. Freddie, Daphne and Shaggy end up close to 5th Street, while Velma is looking for clues along a car parked along Main Street. Well thanks to Red Riding Hoodoo's Brains of 5, the Heroes win the deployment and choose to place along 5th Street near the citizens. The Villains deploy on the opposite side of the block. This puts the heroes within command range of Shaggy. The Citizens move first and since Shaggy is within command range the heroes can direct him to run down 5th Street away from the villians. Freddie, Daphne and Velma must move towards the nearest table edge. For Freddie and Daphne that's the same direction as Shaggy. Velma on the other hand, wanders aimlessly away down Main St.

The Heroes again win the initiative (I realized that Tangent probably should have used her Tactical Genius Trump Skill and spent some AP to win the initiative), so Irontrain moves forward and uses Beacon of Hope which causes d6 of the nearest citizens to move 4" towards him. He rolls a 5, so all the citzens (including Velma) move towards Irontrain. However, this may not have worked so well for Velma as she simply backtracked her path to the intersection.

Tangent activates commanding the Hired Guns to move into the intersection and shoot any citizens as she moves to a better position to observe the heroes. The gunmen kill Velma in a hail of bullets right before the heroes eyes.

Harrier goes Up, Up, and Away and moves towards the intersection while Guerilla moves out into main street preparing to catch the heroes in a crossfire.

Turn 2
The heroes win the initiative again. Irontrain, upset over the death of Velma, charges forward grabs the ice cream truck and throws it across the street. The truck slams into the gunmen and corrupt cops, killing almost all of them (minions are squishy).

Tangent uses Analysis to find a weakspot with Irontrain and communicate that to her team. Hoodoo and Harrier move in using the cars as cover. Guerrilla, added by Tangent's Analysis, moves forward and opens up with his minigun, seriously damaging Irontrain. Hoodoo sends Zombie Wolf to aid him. Tangent gets a shot on Irontrain, her marksmanship helsp cause further damage to the supertough hero.

Turn 3

Hoodoo hits Tangent with The Black Swamps Curse, damaging her. Tangent returns fire wounding Hoodoo. Harrier springs out from behind a car and strikes down Tangent in a single Powered up strike. Tangent out of action, the surviving Corrupt Cop and Gunman flee. Harrier's victory adds an additional AP to their pool. Harrier is becoming one of my favorite Level 1 Heroes.

Gureilla moves forward and opens up using Blaze. Despite protection from Irontrain's Barricade, Zombie Wolf is torn up by the hail of bullets. Irontrain also takes a hit and is knocked down from the assault. Freddie, Daphne and Shaggy escape the mayhem down 5th Street.

Turn 4

Guerilla wins the Inititave, although it's not going to help much. However he needs a level 2 kill to catch up to the Heroe's Agenda Points (Heroes =3.5, Villians 0.5) and a really weakend Irontrain in front of him is the ideal choice and the weakened Hoodoo is within range. Guerilla attempts a Powerd Up Slam on Irontrain but fails to inflict any damage. Irontrain gets up smashed Gureilla in the face. Gureilla hits back but fails to damage the armored hero before him. While Hoodoo hits him with The Blood Red Hoodoo spell causing some damage to the angry ape. Harrier and the Pulp City Cops move in for another charge.

Turn 5
With Guerilla's Rebel Yell, Hoodoo's Brains trait is lowered, and that allows him to win the initiative again. He tries for another slam but doesn't get the damage he needed against Irontrain (who's luck seems to have turned for the better). Harrier swoops in for a Powered Up Charge. With Irontrain assisting, Harrier scores enough points to knock him out just in time for the Pulp City Police to arrive and haul his hairy ass off to the slammer.

So the Hereos get 4 Agenda points for the scenario by defeating 2 Level 2 Villians within the time limit of 6 turns, and 1.5 Agenda Points for saving Freddie, Daphne and Shaggy, but loose -0.5 points for loosing Velma. For a total of 5 Agenda Points. The Villains get none for the scenario, +0.5 for killing Velma, but -1.5 for those other three meddling kids getting away. I think had I sacrificed some APs from the Villians AP Pool, Tangent could have won some of the Initiative earlier in the game and been able to get more Citizens before the Heroes could get to them However, the Heroes were able to choose a pertty advantageous deployment zone.

....and we liked it.
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Very nice, sir! Fantastic!

May I ask about your terrain and vehicles: scale, brand, etc?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
I second that... great battle report, great terrain and great cars!

:) So yeah, who makes those cars?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 am
Thanks everyone!

The buildings are Pl;asticville USA O-Guage buildings. I scored a bunch of used ones on eBay. You can typically find them at places that stock Lionel O Guage model railroad stuff. The nice thing is that they snap together and can be broken down for easy storage and trasnportation. I hope to repaint these and even put some interiors in a few.

The vehicles are from various manufacturers of 1/43rd scale toy cars. I typically find them at places like Toys R Us, the local Dollar Store or even at some local pharmacies. Maisto was the brand for most of the stuff I found (however I've seen the same cars sold under different brand names, like Tonka). The thing that I really liked about those is that they made concept cars that you'd see at the auto shows. Which is great, because in the movies, they usually slip something like that in to give the appearance of a near future setting.

....and we liked it.
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Great to see a new Battle Report - thanks for posting. :)

How did you find 'breaking' the usual Team Set-up? Did that create any issues, or did it offer something new?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yeah that was a concern for sure. It's important to know that 2 Level 1 supremes are not equal to 1 Level 2 Supreme. But it seems to have worked out well for you. As long as everyone has fun that's really our only concern. Great battle report looks like you're really getting into it. I agree that having a good selection of cars and other throw-able objects around is critical to really get the game up to where it should be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:27 am
Aaarrrgh!

I just realized, I forgot the Team Composition rule, the Villians had 2 Level 2s.

Doh!

....and we liked it.
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:19 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Lol. That's awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 am
I gotta say, CmdrKiley, getting those buildings was a score! All the eBay sales are US-based (doh!). But I am determined now! I will find them... oh yes, I will.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 am
Good luck finding them. I recommend looking for some old used Lionel collections. These kits go way back (some into the 50s and 60s) and you can find some used ones pretty cheap that way. I'm not sure how popular O-guage (Lionel) trains are Down Under but you might be able to find some used lots in some Model Rail Road Shows.

These buildings are very versatile. I've seen some awesome work done on The Combat Zone Chronicles and SKANK Games. I certainly aspire to get mine to this level eventually.

....and we liked it.
Offline Profile WWW