<  Battle Reports  ~  Seize the Helm of Aquarius! campaign reports

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:57 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Last Saturday, mkcontra and I fought the first battle of the Seize the Helm of Aquarius! mini-campaign, as the kickoff for our Level 12 Challenge.

GAME 1: SMACKDOWN
Virgo informs the Mysterious Man that a strike team of Ulthar invaders are scouring run-down part of town. He dispatches Xenobi and a team of cohorts to slow them down while he figures out where the Helm is and seize it for himself.

My team:
Virgo
Father Oak (yes, using a proxy. I'm terrible at assembling the trickier models.)
Xenobi
Kitty Cheshire

The vile Ulthar invaders:
Xylian
Gorgoroth
Stinger (using Stormblades as a proxy)
Gemini X

ROUND ONE

Gorgoroth runs up to a citizen to check for a secret sign! The foul aliens have conspirators among the citizens of Pulp City. Virgo teaches Xylian what she's learned about striking first, and hits Xylian in the face with a crossbow bolt. However, she in turn is ambushed by Stinger.

ROUND TWO

Xenobi braces his back against a civilian and KA-BOOM. Lots of bang, but no damage to Gorgoroth. Father Oak, seeing Virgo fall tears up a large chunk of concrete and shows Stinger just how much he was angered by that. Gorgoroth tries to sniff out his enemies, to no avail. Kitty phases forward and uses her First Aid Kit to heal Father Oak, as the Mysterious Man declared that "This One Must Survive!" And she knows better than to cross his wrath.

ROUND THREE

Xenobi, true to form, flips out, mutates, and smashes into Gorgoroth at full force. A mighty crunch! But Gorgoroth is still standing, unlike Xenobi, who slinks off to fight another day. Kitty phases in between Gemini X and Xylian, hoping to take the heat off Oak. And Father Oak seizes that opportunity, pulls back his mighty arm, and slams into Gorgoroth. Another deafening crash! And Gorgoroth is still standing. Pack a lunch, because he is an all-day beatstick. And Oak also finds out that Gorgoroth gives out as good as he gets.

ROUND FOUR

Things are looking bad for our hometown villains. Oak finally falls, and takes the Mysterious Man's Agenda with him. Kitty is trying hard to finish off Xylian, and at least salvage a little dignity, but the numbers just aren't coming up for her. Gorgoroth, apparently playing the communications officer for the Ulthar, finally finds the last civilian, and exchanges the secret sign.

ROUND FIVE

It's all over. Kitty fades away to report their losses.

The vile Ulthar end up with eight victory points (taking out six levels, plus two for the Secret Sign.) The Mysterious Man's crew gets nothing, as they took out Stinger, but couldn't keep Oak around.

CONCLUDING

Gorgoroth is a monster. Two near-perfect hits from Xenobi and Oak, both powered up and trumped and what have you, and Gorgoroth just kept going. Do not underestimate the space cow. mkcontra also had a great synergy going, and took advantage of my errors in just the right fashion. His ET minions didn't do much, but were good for tying me down and getting in the way of potential charges. I will try to get them eliminated sooner next go-round.

Next time, Gadget!

Oh, and the Tron Legacy soundtrack is great for gaming, highly recommended.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:20 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Pretty cool. Fun times!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:54 pm
SidekickPosts: 60Location: Rockville, MD, USAJoined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 am
Mkcontra and I met up to play OUR game 1 of the mini-campaign I posted earlier.

My 6-level force (Bloodwatch):
Blood Rose (BR) – with Astral Rose
Red Riding Hoodoo (RRH) – with Zombie Wolf
6 Feet Under (6FU) – First Aid Kit, Blessing of Hermes
Sgt. Bale (Bale) – Path of Destiney, Heroic Call
- The Hand Off (have to get the information from a civilian informant, as to the whereabouts of the Helm.)
- This One Must Survive (BR – Have to ensure the Ulthars don’t catch wind of another alien species involved on Earth.)

Mkcontra’s force (Ulthar):
Gemini Y (GY)
Scorpio (Scorp)
Gorgoroth (Gorgo)
Xyllian (Xyl)

The game started off with RRH’s non-trump Mind facing off with Gemini Y’s trump Mind (not good for Team Blood Watch).

Setup:
Blood Rose gated the entire team up as close to the civilians as possible, in an effort to secure the information about the Helm’s location.

Some members of the Ulthar slipped their chains and raced forward as well (Gate).

Turn 1:
RRH moves into contact and flashes the sign to the civilian in the warehouse. Turns out he had the info on the Helm’s location.
Bale, enraged at the site of the enslaved Gogoroth, took on the mantel of the Dragon’s Champion and declared Gorgo’s slavery would end in death.
Xyl shot 6FU with a bolt, doing minor damage, but 6FU Ashes to Ashes’d prior to eliminating two enemy minions – allowing him to Regenerate 2 of the 3 wounds.

Turn 2:
Gemini Y, afraid of the mighty 6FU, Mind Grips the poor Supreme, freezing him in place for the turn.
An explosive bolt aimed at 6FU and Bale falls short, doing no damage.
Scorpio enters the fray, charging Bale and doing 3 wounds, but Blood Rain heals the Sgt.

Turn 3:
6FU, furious at his previous paralyzed state, pounds Scorpio into unconsciousness.

Turn 4:
Sgt. Bale eliminates Gorgo, freeing him from Ulthar domination (at least for the time being!)

Turn 5:
6FU pounds the Sagittarius into the ground and the Blood Watch team begins the hunt for the Helm!

Conclusion:
Mkcontra’s dice turned against him in the middle of the 3rd turn. He wasn’t able to recover as Gorgoroth was picked apart . The Blood Watch healing and buffs (RRH giving everyone a 6 defense was HUGE) stymied the Ulthar, who had to essentially kill 6FU and Sgt. Bale twice. The Ulthar did manage to take down RRH near the end, but Blood Rose brought her back.

Rules questions brought up: Does Invincible stop Aftershocks? We ruled it did.

Aaron

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:45 am
MortalPosts: 20Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:03 pm
Regarding the Blood-Watch game, I learned a huge lesson:
I decided to make my Agendas "Double Agent" on Blood Rose and "Revenge" on Bale. I really should have had it the other way around. I managed to get both Bale and 6FU down to just a couple of HP, only to see Blood Rose heal them. Then, foolishly not wanting to hurt her and fail to reach my agenda, I simply continued to ignore her. I think this would've gone pretty differently had I focused on her, especially with a sniper like Xylian and two missiles like Gorgoroth and Stinger. Ah well, now I know (and knowing...). Excellently played by Skrivanek!

It looks like round 2 will occur Thursday (and it looks like this is going to shake out as 2 separate campaigns, Ulthar v. Blood Watch and Ulthar v. Mysterious Man (although I guess there's still a chance the 2 non-ET will meet up later in the campaign :shock: ).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:50 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Wow guys this is sounding like a really cool campaign. I'm really enjoying this. Question to the Ulthar Players...how does using only have of the Gemini work out? I designed them to work almost as a single model and haven't really had a chance to field one without the other. What are your takes on this?

The trick to dealing with Gorgoroth is to knock him down. Once he's on the ground you can really start to pile on the damage. Blood watch when played right is a very powerful team. For them it's critical to take out the support Supremes first. Once Blood Rose can't heal and Hoodoo can't protect 6FU and Bale go down quick enough.

Skrivanek: Yes Invincible will stop Aftershocks! You played it right.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:26 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Skrivanek: Yes Invincible will stop Aftershocks! You played it right.

That is not what the rulebook says it specifically refers to damage from opposed rolls.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 pm
MortalPosts: 20Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:03 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Wow guys this is sounding like a really cool campaign. I'm really enjoying this. Question to the Ulthar Players...how does using only have of the Gemini work out? I designed them to work almost as a single model and haven't really had a chance to field one without the other. What are your takes on this?

I think Y is much more useful than X alone for a number of reasons: 1) Mind Grip is only 2 AP, so he can keep moving and still do his main thing, while Solace of Neptune is 3, not to mention shorter range than MG. This forces X to run up and then hope he activates early before getting punched. I think Perilous Pillar is probably also a bit more useful at higher levels when you have more actions to spend on blowing up the pillar when you need it.

That said, of course they're more effective together. The problem is that I feel Stinger is highly effective at putting out damage for a level one, and with Xylian on the table, I am a bit more stable with regard to starting rolls and such. However, it may be that I swap Xylian for Stormblades and then run both Geminis...we shall see.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:32 pm
SidekickPosts: 60Location: Rockville, MD, USAJoined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 am
Without Scorpio, I know I wouldn't have felt at all threatened. I would have devoted all of Bale and 6FU's actions to taking down Gorgoroth and then piece-mailing out the rest of the Ulthar.

A 9-level game with both Geminis AND Scorpio will be interesting.

Aaron

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:24 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Teaser from skrivanek and mkcontra's game on May 5th, that someone will be posting about shortly:

(Hint: earlier, there were more civilians. A lot more.)

Next up for them: Invasion! scenario, with special guest star me running the minions. Stay tuned!

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW