<  Battle Reports  ~  Not so much a battle report. . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:24 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
The other night, Redheaded Stepchild (Brandon) and I had the opportunity to FINALLY play an invasion game. . . we've tried several times, but each time something pops up - either someone in the game shop will want a demo, I'll forget the extra models, or one of our wives will revoke our hall passes for the evening...

Well, Monday we finally had the throwdown. We did a level 6 encounter in a pretty heavily terrained city scape (two large building, barrels, trees, dumpsters, and two vehicles).

I took:

Supreme Z
Sanguine (lvl 1) w Draku

He brought:

Blood Rose
Hoodoo with the Zombie Wolf

We decided to use my trollblood miniatures for Mutant invaders (pyg shooters as lvl 1 blasters, Trollkin Kriel Warriors for lvl 2 brawlers). It was something like:

Lvl 1 (2 to a card)
+1 :ENG

Lvl 2 (2 to a card)
Survival x1
+1 :STR /+1 :DEF

For the Invasion Minions in round 1, Brandon rolled a 1, but I rolled a 4, so I brought in a level 1 card on my side of the table and rerolled to bring in a level 2 card on the opponents side close to Hoodoo and Zombie Wolf. I forgot that the mutants activated first, and the level 1 blasters were able to stand still and put a few points on Sanguine. The brawlers were able to get in to base to base with Zombie Wolf and Hoodoo. A few points on Hoodoo, but the wolf was untouched.
I was able to use Sanguine's Bloodarang to take out the weak blasters and put a couple points into his Team Power. Brandon ignored his mutants on Hoodoo and Zombie Wolf, instead bringing Bale and SFU up to the middle of the board. Supreme Z picked up a car and threatened to toss it at Bale, ending round 1.

In round 2 the fun really started. More mutants showed up. Again on both sides of the board. . . with Brandon rolling a 6. Now, every turn hereafter, one of us rolled a 6 making the mutants pretty beefy (remember, they get a +1 to opposed rolls on the 6). What ended up happening, though, was most of the blasters stayed on my side of the board and the brawlers ended up pretty much on Brandon's side. He did clean up a few this round after losing Hoodoo and the Wolf by smashing them with SFU's shovel! Reach 1 came in big handy here. Bale put a few points onto Nuke and a few more points went onto Sanguine. I took the lead with 2 more agenda points, but I couldn't get a bloodarang shot off for anything! I was really banking on being able to take out a bunch of the mutants and get Sanguine up to lvl 2. I knew that the extra level of supremes would be great for such a small game.

In round three, the attrition started. . . Foolishly, I did what I always do with Zed. And, it is so much fun, I'll do it again, and again, and again. . . there was a ton of minions on the board (I actually had to pull out additional blaster minions this turn as Brandon rolled a 4, 5, and 2, and I rolled a 6 for the invasion minions!). Three flight counters and an opportunity to crash land? Sure! I took out 3 and a half level 2 minions, put some hurting on SFU and re-eliminated Hoodoo (who had been ressurected with Overwhelming Mercy). . . but it took Zed down to 1 damage on his first damage track. SFU was able to finish him off, making me lose his points in the subsequent rounds. Again, an awesome bloodarang miss. . . silly little vampire!

Round 4 really hurt. I lost Nuke and Sanguine. Twilight also took a bunch of damage and was incapacitated by the end of the round. Leaving me with a whopping 2 AP for turn 5. Brandon was also on the ropes, though, with SFU being taken out by the brawlers, only to be stood back up by Blood Rose's Overwhelming Mercy. . . Now that Brandon has learned her a little better, she's going to end up being an auto-include similar to me using Sister Bedlam as a crutch most games. . .

Turn 5 had me with 2 whole AP. . . used wisely to bash a few more brawlers, but SFU was able to finish Zed off, and round 6 had Brandon just picking off as many minions as he could. It ended up with an 8 to 6 point win in Red's favor.

The game was a blast, we found it really didn't matter what side of the table activated first (invader wise) as they are restrained with what they can do. It was a great game!

Stand on Truth, Walk in Faith
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:47 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Very cool report!

I was definitely looking forward to trying my first invasion game and this just got me more interested!

I'm curious about your team though... Supreme Zed, Nuke, Twilight, Sanguine (day). It's an interesting line up. Is it one you've used before? Is there a lot of synergy there?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:31 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
very cool, i am going to have to try that.

My Pulp City Collection 91 out of 94
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
My lineup... lol, definitely not my normal one.

For invasion, and really any list, I'd make sure Seabolt and Sister Bedlam were available. Go with the flow and Pain Chain are beautiful abilities for a board filled with low :DEF , :AGL models. However, Seabolt has become somewhat of a crutch for me and we were just looking for a friendly game. I've noticed that when we play, if Seabolt is on the table, my opponent designates all his resources, AP, and Supremes to nullifying my surfboard.

Twilight did absolutely nothing in the game, but I love her model. I took Sanguine in hopes of ramping him up to level 2. I think Crash Landing is one of the coolest abilities in the game and makes me laugh every time I use it.

...for my opponent's team, he was going for all Bloodwatch, I believe, but he's a huge fan of Solar. When he noticed Seabolt still in the case, he decided to leave Solar on the sidelines. The purpose was really to see how the mechanics of Invasion played out compared to how they read on paper. We both were very pleased. I'll make sure Brandon sees the link and maybe we can get a comment from him.

Stand on Truth, Walk in Faith
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:23 pm
HeraldPosts: 16Location: AkronJoined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:12 am
First of all, I am not scared of Seabolt, I just have healthy respect for him. I have been trying to learn how to use Blood Rose better, and considering the fact that she is very effective when combined with other Blood Watch I thought that it may speed up the learning curve by using and entire team. I also have wanted to use SFU for some time. I honestly believe if used properly he could rival Irontrain for top brawler. I will admit that Solar has been a cruch for me but, Solar is AWESOME. I really can't wait to use Dark Solar. The invasion was fun but, Q really put me in a diffuclt spot when he had Zed go up up and away with the car. I had to get Bale out of the area, since he was centrally located. I thought that running him to the outside of the board would effectively remove him from the game for atleast a round, so I charged him into Q's main group. I knew that this would be his demise but I also knew that Bale had the potential to do some serous damage before he was taken down. Little did I know that my own dice was conspiring against me. Hoodoo just had no luck, having Q place to level 2 monsters next to her at the begining of the game gave her no chance. I know that she needs to be played at a range but when she starts off in base to base the best I could hope for was to revive her and use her then. Unfortantly Bale was my only fig to leave my deployment zone. Blood Rose had some side to side movement but SFU pretty much stayed in place and used his reach and Hoodoo.......just kept dying.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Man sounds like you guys had a helleuva fight! I love when you have the time to do Invasion up right. It's funny too I've seen games where you can't find a minion to save your life, and others where you get burried by turn 2.

Pulp City Lead Troubleshooter
Offline Profile