<  Battle Reports  ~  Level 9: Blood Watch vs Those Damned Dirty Apes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Hi guys,

Had a great game this weekend which was notable for two things. First, it was my biggest game yet since we played at Level 9. Second, it was my first game with Loup Garou and Moon Child, which meant that I was able to field 9 levels of Blood Watch supremes!

His team:

Guerilla, Silverager, Apebot, Virus, Chimp Chi, Howler

My Team:

Six Feet Under, Sgt Bale, Loup Garou II, Blood Rose, Red Riding Hoodoo, Moonchild

Our mission was to control two points on the board as well as hold each of the table quarters. In addition, ARC needed to find a secret informant among the citizens, while I needed revenge on Apebot.

What a game...

Both teams advanced to the center of the board, each splitting somewhat to cover the two key points. Turn one for me was basically repositioning as well as using Dragon Call (sgt bale) and Juju Tracking Hound (Loup Garou) to target Apebot.

Turn two started with a dangerous stalemate with both sides not wanting to advance directly in to charge range. Blood watch supremes took some early wounds as some flamethrower armed chimp minions got in some very nice ray hits. Sgt Bale advanced slightly to fling fire with no result and Apebot charged in response. From there, the situation descended into what a friend of mine has been known to call a Cluster Duck (ok, maybe that's not exactly what he says). Loup Garou rushed forward slamming into Apebot, Silverager charged forward to further hurt Sgt Bale, Guerilla got in some shots on Hoodoo. Both sides took losses with my opponent losing apebot (and virus, by extension), while I lost Sgt Bale and Hoodoo.

Turn three was the one that determined the game. Six feet under entered the fight and between him and Loup Garou, silverager went down. Blood Rose healed Hoodoo, Chimp Chi launched a daring attack at the three Blood Watch women, Moonchild and Hoodoo teamed up to take out chimp Chi.

By turn 4, it was mostly just cleanup as a barely hurt Six Feet Under took care of Guerilla and we called the match.

So, what did I learn?

Loup Garou is even more wonderful then I originally thought. His capacity to deal out large numbers of high strength attacks exceeded my expectations. I think he'll see play in nearly any team I create now.

I'm still not entirely sure how Moonchild should be used. In this game, she was mostly used to give me a +1 to starting roles, and to provide a little bit of melee to take out an already badly wounded Chimp Chi.

Being able to Gate 6 Supremes forward, even beyond the standard Gate range is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

The combination of Apebot and Silverager is absolutely devastating. I don't think Sgt Bale even had a chance to make a single Planet of the Apes joke before he was beaten down into a bloody pulp.

I had three support supremes in Hoodoo, Blood Rose and Moonchild (who I think will be less suport next time I use her). That said, I didn't feel like I was missing any damage dealing potential.

All in all, it was a fantastic game that has only gotten me more excited for the next one!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:54 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Wow sounds like a fantastic game. Blood Watch are nasty, and with Loup Garou in the mix they just get meaner. Level 9 games are a ton of fun. You are at that point where you can take your favorite models and have the AP to let them shine.

I might have suggested a couple more Agendas. At Level 9 both teams should probably have at least 2, especially when playing a low AGP scoring Plot like King of the Hill. Still as long as fun was had by all I would call it a major win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:57 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 139Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:06 am
Blood watch look cool, Blood rose is one of my first three supremes and i love her ability to teleport and heal. I love the idea of all the blood watch gating in, kinda like the scene in harry potter where sirius falls through the arch, when all the good guys appear in a flash of white light and smoke... in my mind anyway :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Beermonkey wrote:
I might have suggested a couple more Agendas. At Level 9 both teams should probably have at least 2, especially when playing a low AGP scoring Plot like King of the Hill. Still as long as fun was had by all I would call it a major win.

Yeah, I think more agendas would probably have been a good idea. What do you suggest, one agenda per 3 supreme levels? I should check if there were guidelines in the rulebook...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:35 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
In the rule book the upper limit is 1 Agenda per 3 Levels. So at 9 you could have up to 3. In a King of the Hill where the AGP count is SOOO low maxing that out would have been a good idea. If you were playing something where the Plot scored higher I probably would have taken 2 Agendas.

The nice thing is you can take up to 3, and your opponent can do the same. You both don't have to take the same number of Agendas. Also because you can choose what you take for Agendas you can really build a team to meet the Agendas. I sometimes find that taking a team based on agendas and as a secondary goal thwarting my opponents attempts at completing the Plot works very well. I earn my AGP through Agendas and stop the opponent scoring, without actively trying to succeed at the Plot. This can work very well, especially with June Summers around to boost your AGP total.