<  Battle Reports  ~  First Game ARC vs Heavy Metal. Lvl:6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:06 am
MortalPosts: 45Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:56 pm
So, after jumping head first into this game we thought perhaps we ought to actually play it! So tonight we did.......... here's how it went down...........

We kept it small, using 6 levels which I assume is a fairly average game size. Plot was straight up beat-them-in-the-face and we tried to keep it fairly simple so no minions and only a few pieces of terrain to lob about. We used our club's terrain which is usually used for Infinity, but we'll be stealing it until we can muster the funds for some Sarissa buildings. Here's the table at deployment:

The forces used were:

ARC

Ape-Bot w/personal force field
Virus w/Glove
Silverager w/Heroic Call & Spare Parts
Chimp-Chi w/special sword thingie

Heavy Metal

Dr Mercury w/Mercurial Matrix
Nuclear Jones w/ First Aid Kit
Chronin
Androida w/spare parts

(I'm not sure what Chronin had but it doesn't really matter)

Turn 1

Lots of moving about! Not much happens. Chronin sets up her temporal barrier thingie and Dr Mercury reforms his fists into spikes.

Turn 2

Feeling impetuous (and really just wanting to see how combat works), Chimp Chi charges Androida but fails to do anything extensive. Silverager deftly avoids a car thrown by Dr Mercury and moves up. Jones takes sniping position atop a building. Androida and Chronin gang up on Chimp-Chi who somehow survives! Chimp Chi uses whirlwind to push Androida out of melee. Ape-Bot runs up to the car thrown by Dr Mercury and throws it at Androida, quite badly hurting her! Chronin finishes off Chimp Chi. Silverager charges Mercury but does hee-haw.

Turn 3

ARC gets initiative :D Silverager smashes Dr Mercury with a Spinecrusher but the molten man takes minimal damage. However, Silverager used 'Heroic Call' to activate Ape-Bot who manages to catch Androida, Chronin and Dr Mercury in his rampage. He leaves Mercury and Chronin unhurt but Androida can't take it, she's down! Mercury beats the living crap out of Silverager, but he's still standing! Jones moves around to try to nab Virus with a Nuclear Blast but misses (tricksy little monkey is Virus!)

Turn 4

Mercury takes down Silverager, leaving the apes outnumbered. Ape-bot activates 'throw stuff' but can't do much else right now. Mercury charges Ape-Bot but completely whiffs it! Ape-Bot retorts in kind by first smashing Mercury and then throwing him into Jones, who takes a fair whack of damage. Result! Chronin charges Ape-bot and does a fair bit of damage, however it's no where near enough and soon after she finds herself flying through the air at Dr Mercury, nearly killing him but not quite thanks to Absorb 2. Jones takes some shots at Ape-Bot, plinking away some damage. Virus decides to be brave and runs out to heal Ape-Bot ready for the next turn. Mercury stands up as does Chronin.

We had to call it game there as it was getting late, result. Win for Heavy Metal! BOOOO!

So, ok, the battle report isn't perfect. I'm pretty much just piecing together what I remember in roughly the order it happened but one thing's for sure - this game is a blast and a half! I really, really hope to entice more of our club into it.

I LOVE Ape-bot, this guy basically did all the work himself. Silverager probably wasn't the best choice as he seems more suited to 'late game clean-up' but he's the only other Lvl2 I have at the minute. Dr Red is very high on my 'to do' list now though.

Heavy Metal are tough, with some great synergy. Dr Mercury is awesome (or rather he would be if MechaAce could roll higher than a 2 when attacking (yes even with the trump re-roll!).

I must admit, I was trepidacious about the combat system at first (1D6? Really?) but after plying I really like the mechanic, it really forces you to play to your supreme's strengths and work together. Next game I'm busting out my Necroplane - can't wait!

Please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors, I'm sleepy after all that Hero-throwing!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:43 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
:) Great report, it sounds like it was a fun match. I also rather like your terrain, it has definite style!

In a level 6 game, you may want to consider Guerilla for ARC. He really shines in games like that since he can use ranged combat at first, and then finish things off in melee after.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Looks like a great game. A.R.C can be a real handful, especially against a team with a lot of shooters. ApeBot is a monster, especially with Virus to keep him powered up and Silverager to keep him healed.

As for Heavy Metal don't forget to have Dr. Mercury use Anvils or Spike Arms. Anvils gives him :STR and :DEF +1. It will also allow him to roll 2d6 and take the best one every time he Strikes, and 3d6 on a Trump Roll.

Just FYI ApeBot can't use any Resources. That's part of being a Construct. He's not programmed to use stuff like that.

The other thing I notice is your board is kinda big. It looks to be about 4 x 4, I recommend a smaller board 3x3 is ideal for Pulp City.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 36Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:52 pm
Well that's me famous (well my chest and arms anyways)

Yeah it was a 4x4 board, but we just trimmed 6" off each edge to bring it to a 3x3 when we set the scenery up.

Dr Mercury did have spike arm on (though I think I should've switched to anvil) though as Beans said, it didn't help much when I kept rolling 1's and 2's.

As for my blaster some pretty shoddy rolls and the fact that ape-bot has really good agility (which I didn't expect) stopped Nuclear Jones doing much to him really. Kept trying to Nuclear missile him and getting like 1 damage, and didn't want to get close enough for a nuclear leak.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:40 pm
MortalPosts: 45Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:56 pm
Aye I really like the terrain, one of our club board members really went to town making the board (we weren't even using half the stuff he made!) but we'll have to organise games when he's not playing Infinity to use it most of the time.

Good to know about Ape-bot, he didn't use his force field anyway (why bother when you can simply hit things?) and I think next time we'll be trying out some minions to fill those resource points.

Here's hoping to bring Pulp City to Glasgow in a big way, I simply cannot see how any of our club could not like this game. A UK distributor would really help though :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:16 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Looks like a great game. A.R.C can be a real handful, especially against a team with a lot of shooters. ApeBot is a monster, especially with Virus to keep him powered up and Silverager to keep him healed.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, but is there a ruling now that silverager can heal apebot? Last I remembered, from the Silverager thread, Apebot was immune to Apecraft.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
cardboardvampire wrote:
Beermonkey wrote:

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, but is there a ruling now that silverager can heal apebot? Last I remembered, from the Silverager thread, Apebot was immune to Apecraft.

Still not answered conclusively; there has been discussion, and hopefully it will be clarified for the next wave of Errata.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:52 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
From talks with Morf at GenCon. Because Heal isn't really anything other than Positive Damage it works. Those Immune/ :MND can be healed because heal basically just Damage in reverse. So yes you can use Silverager to Heal Apebot. You can also use Sanguine to heal Super Zed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:27 am
Beermonkey wrote:
From talks with Morf at GenCon. Because Heal isn't really anything other than Positive Damage it works. Those Immune/ :MND can be healed because heal basically just Damage in reverse. So yes you can use Silverager to Heal Apebot. You can also use Sanguine to heal Super Zed.

Fantastic news! That will make two tough supremes even tougher!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:56 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 139Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:06 am
great battle report, the terrain looks great.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:09 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Beermonkey wrote:

Hmm sounds like rationalisaton to me :wink:

Still a good change to Silverager. I am not sure Z needs it as he has dominated every game I have tried him in but still as he is my favourite supreme I will not argue :twisted: (& Sanguine Night is my other go to guy so it's moot).

It does feel like errata & so I would make sure the change to immune :MND refers to damage & healing & not try to justify heals as negative damage.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:17 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
BTW - I should have mentioned sooner, but great terrain and set-up there. Kudos. :)