<  Hobby Section  ~  Col. Glaive mini - WiP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I am keeping this thread seperate from my Pulp City minis thread as it will serve as a project log.

The concept for Col. Glaive (link to background and rules) came first, followed by ideas for conversion parts (the mini is mainly Darkson Designs 'Agent Wolf', with Sentry Bot parts for the cyborg bits. Green stuff stage will be next to fill gaps and sculpt a bionic eye, a thumb, and a rolled up trouser leg. I'll photograph each stage after completion through to eventual painting.

I am not convinced by the glaive - I may need ot use a thinner brass rod, but i am still undecided.

Sorry the photographs are not that great - I struggled more with these than with the painted minis.

Any comments and criticism are welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:32 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Looks good. I like the pose - the choice of the base mini was a great one.

About the glaive, I think you're right about the brass rod. It looks like he's throwing it too, but the glaive was a polearm and used for chopping people off horses most of the time...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:53 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
I like picture one and two, also I'd like to see another angle, cuz it looks good, but it's still pretty hard for me to really see what he really looks like.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:56 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 35Location: Skierniewice, PolandJoined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:48 pm
The mini looks really cool, although it's kinda hard for me to see it's details clearly. I agree that a thinner rod is need. And how about making him holding his glaive in both hands, horizontally - it'd rquire some manipulations with hand, but... I think it would give him nice, "charge!!" feel :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:28 pm
Shalashaska wrote:
how about making him holding his glaive in both hands, horizontally - it'd rquire some manipulations with hand, but... I think it would give him nice, "charge!!" feel :)

Well, I like the "eat some powercharged flying spear m*****f*****" thing, although that's true you aren't really supposed to throw these babies. BUt the most important is that yeah, he has no "throw weapon" power, so charging, why not?

If I'm not wrong on the hand position, the only work needed would be to turn both hands upside downs, cut the thumbs and resculpt them. Ain't so hard imo.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:42 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
John S. wrote:
Shalashaska wrote:
how about making him holding his glaive in both hands, horizontally - it'd rquire some manipulations with hand, but... I think it would give him nice, "charge!!" feel :)

Well, I like the "eat some powercharged flying spear m*****f*****" thing, although that's true you aren't really supposed to throw these babies. BUt the most important is that yeah, he has no "throw weapon" power, so charging, why not?

If I'm not wrong on the hand position, the only work needed would be to turn both hands upside downs, cut the thumbs and resculpt them. Ain't so hard imo.

That would also need for the glaive to be brought across/above the near knee, which would narro the psoe and clutter the middle of the model. Until I start GS'ing, I am open to ideas, but I am uncertain about the benefits to the pose of going two-handed. yes I know it is in effect a two-handed weapon, but...

John S - where are you on the thickness of brasss rod used - yay or nay?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:19 pm
leonmallett wrote:
That would also need for the glaive to be brought across/above the near knee, which would narro the psoe and clutter the middle of the model.

you could qlso carefully move the arms in the desired position, as long as it's not too big a move, it won't look bad.

leonmallett wrote:
Until I start GS'ing, I am open to ideas, but I am uncertain about the benefits to the pose of going two-handed. yes I know it is in effect a two-handed weapon, but...

If you go into converting minis, you'll have to get to GSing. Go green or go mean. Kowabunga duuuuuuuuude!

leonmallett wrote:
John S - where are you on the thickness of brasss rod used - yay or nay?

Contrary to Shalashashal[...]ahelalhh... well, I kinda like the massive feeling of that rod. It clearly has a in-your-face feel that I do appreciate, and therefore reinforce the need of a 2 hand pose...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:29 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 35Location: Skierniewice, PolandJoined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:48 pm
Just a quick thought about melee weapons handling - if handle is too so big that you can't hold it fully in "closed grasp" it would be easy to disarm you or to lose your weapon after hitting something resilient (at least enough to not be cut in half:) )

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:09 am
Shalashaska wrote:
Just a quick thought about melee weapons handling - if handle is too so big that you can't hold it fully in "closed grasp" it would be easy to disarm you or to lose your weapon after hitting something resilient (at least enough to not be cut in half:) )

That's true, but Pulp City being a pulp miniature game, the pulp side says the bigger the better. We can imagine that since it's a weapon of from the future, it has some "intelligence of its own", it's extra light and has fingerprint recognition, won't fall off unless the user is willing to, and can target weakspots by itself.
WHat could be done though to keep this massive aspect, would be to file handles though the rod...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
I'm with John on this one. . . handles or grips would help. Think of the bending issues with a thin rod. . . Ironfang nightmares!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:49 pm
wouldn't even require much GSing, just the thumbs of both hands if you wanna be perfectionist.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:31 pm
It's an option I can live with...although the mini's not mine:)

Offline Profile