<  Hobby Section  ~  Scorpio's Supremes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:36 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
I'm participating in the Battle Challenge at the TGN forums. Admittedly, I was already getting into Pulp City, but I like having artificial deadlines like these to get me off my duff and get things put together and painted. As a personal addendum to the challenge, I'm also working on urban terrain to go along with this.

Personal disclaimer: I'm not a great painter, by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoy painting, but I freely admit I suck at it. Detailing always feels like a chore. But I can do tabletop quality just fine.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:41 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Heavy Metal caught my attention from the get-go. They're the stand-up good guys, an eclectic mix of characters fighting to save the world.

Chronin has a couple blue highlights in here hair that didn't come out in the picture at all.

Note the ARC Crate resource marker on the left there. That's what's called foreshadowing.

And I just now realized that the question mark plinth is backwards. Grr.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:48 pm
Heavy Metal might have been the team that caught my eye first, but it was really Apebot that was the first fig I bought. Monkeys are good. Giant robots are good. Giant robot monkeys? Sold.

I went with a field-repair look for the Apebot. It's hard to tell with the pic, but the various plates on him are slightly different colors, nothing quite matching.

Virus may eventually get a pattern on his shirt, but man, it's tiny.

Also pictures is some of my graveyard terrain. I have a bunch lying around, and will eventually get it all done. Maybe for a big Necroplane breach or somesuch.

On the righthand side of the pic is the front side of the payphone from the Heavy Metal pics above. The back was my freehand attempt at a phone symbol.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:37 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
The vivid colours - especially on Apebot (the teeth for example) give a cool 'cartoon-y' feel. That is a compliment - I like them. :)

Thanks for showing them to us.

I have to ask - can you identify where you sourced your scenic bits?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:16 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Nice job. Keep up the progress and please continue sharing.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:21 pm
leonmallett wrote:
The vivid colours - especially on Apebot (the teeth for example) give a cool 'cartoon-y' feel. That is a compliment - I like them. :)

Thanks!

Quote:
I have to ask - can you identify where you sourced your scenic bits?

OK, so, the long answer is... I started playing Necromunda in the early to mid 90's, and have been collecting interesting terrain bits along the way. And both sides of my families are packrats (much to my fiancee's dismay.) So I have a lot of bits and pieces of terrain that I picked up over the years.

First pic:
Lamp post is from a plastic kids' set from Toys R Us, maybe Fastlane?
Fire hydrant and pay phone are from Mega Minis urban terrain set, which I highly recommend. They're really for 25mm, but with good basing they work well.
The crates, I have no idea. But I have a handful of them.. Maybe old Armorcast?
The column with the question mark on top is from the Heroclix fig the Question, from the Origins expansion. I kind of love it.

Second pic:
Pay phone is, again, Mega Minis.
The Victorian lampposts are from a dollar store Christmas scenery set, repainted.
Tombstone behind Apebot was from a plastic set of 16 sold by Lance & Laser, when they were still around and making plastics.
The column with the gargoyle squatting on top is again from Heroclix, Sgt Daimyo from the Hellboy boxed set. (I was huge into Heroclix.)
And the tombstone with the Celtic cross on top is from some resin graveyard terrain set I bought many moons ago, no idea of the manufacturer.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:12 pm
December was busy with family stuff and wedding planning, but here's some more.

The good cops are rebased Heroclix. (Gotham Policeman, from Hypertime, and the DEO Agent, from Unleashed.)

The cop car was picked up at the local drug store, of all places. It's either 1:34 or 1:36, but IMHO it fits right in. I intend to paint a Pulp City logo on it, and dullcoat some of the shiny-ness off there. I was hoping to find something more 1980's-looking, but this was all of 5 bucks, so, can't complain. :}

The bicycle racks/barriers are from dollar store toys, based on balsa wood (yes, they will get primed and painted. Soon.)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:50 pm
The grand finale from the TGN Battle Challenge:

Or, as I call it, 'a good start.'

Offline Profile WWW