<  Hobby Section  ~  My 1st Pulp City Miniature

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:46 am
SidekickPosts: 66Location: The spaces betwix the starsJoined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 am
Hey guys

I have only recently started playing Pulp City and I am loving it. My collection has been expanding rapidly so I have been keen to start painting.

The first miniature I decided to tackle was Francis Gator. I love the character in the sculpt and his background. He needed to look like a Red neck so I had to paint on the flannel shirt.

This is also the first time I have done a water base and used water effects. I think it turned out alright but I did learn a few things along the way (Don't spray matt varnish over the water effects as it went dull and cloudy) but I think I salvaged it alright with some painted on gloss varnish.

Excuse the poor photo quality, seems that miniature photography is an art form in itself.

So here he is, hope you like.
Attachment:
FG1.png
FG1.png [ 217.58 KiB | Viewed 5357 times ]

Attachment:
FG2.png
FG2.png [ 213.43 KiB | Viewed 5357 times ]

Attachment:
FG3.png
FG3.png [ 227.57 KiB | Viewed 5357 times ]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
Wow I wasn't very keen on this Guy but yours looks awesome!

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:47 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Yeah! Go for the gator! I love this mini^^

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:07 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Welcome!

He looks great. You did an excellent job on the shirt.

I've worked with water effects a lot. You're right. The miniature should be complete and sealed first. Water effects should be just about the last elment for the figure.

But in the end, Gator turned our very well.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 pm
SidekickPosts: 66Location: The spaces betwix the starsJoined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 am
Thanks for the kind words.

My next project is Twilight, I am about half way through finishing her and then its onto Rook. With Rook I love the figure and I made a custom base for him but I am trying to work out a colour scheme, I am not too fond of the purple and green that he is on the box but I am struggling to come up with anything better at the moment. I will have to focus more when I am done with Twilight.

Last edited by Carniwar on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Based on the chess idea, I went with a black and white scheme. You can see him here: http://forum.pulp-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=702&start=38

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 am
Invader Larb wrote:
Based on the chess idea, I went with a black and white scheme. You can see him here: http://forum.pulp-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=702&start=38

Yeah I saw that the other day. Its a cool idea, I like how its tied in with the name, not sure if I could pull it off with the base I created. Might end up going the purple or a blue gray. Still thinking :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:35 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 57Location: Huntington Beach, CAJoined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:48 pm
Very cool the paint job feels very Joe Dirt. ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Very nicely done. I love the idea of giving him a check shirt. Thanks for sharing - I look forwards to seeing more. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:54 pm
Next figure :D

This one was a journey along the way with a lot of experiments in colour, but in the end I like the way she turned out.

Sorry about the photos again, seems to be a lot darker this time.
Attachment:
T1.png
T1.png [ 218.51 KiB | Viewed 5311 times ]

Attachment:
T2.png
T2.png [ 211.65 KiB | Viewed 5311 times ]

Attachment:
T3.png
T3.png [ 226.64 KiB | Viewed 5311 times ]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:59 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
Awesome stuff again dude!

cool colour scheme :D

nipples!?!?!?!?!?!!! :shock:

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:04 pm
darth tater wrote:
Awesome stuff again dude!

cool colour scheme :D

nipples!?!?!?!?!?!!! :shock:

Lol thanks again, and I think it must be very cold up on the roof tops ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Nice colour scheme on Twilight, I may have to steal the idea. Really nice work. :)

Have you tried adjusting stuff like contrast, colour balance and hue saturation in your image software?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:31 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
Got white balance on camera ??
it would help or just corect it then in some CG program

well i made a litle corection
looks more similar ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 pm
Just looked up my camera's functions and apparently it does have white balance, so I will have to have a play and work out how to use it. As you can tell I don't know too much about camera's.

Yeah Maru your whitened version looks closer to the real life look.

Thanks for the mini photo tips.

Offline Profile