<  Hobby Section  ~  My 1st Pulp City Miniature

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:39 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
What is your cammera model ? - i mey know how to configute it corectly :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:06 am
SidekickPosts: 66Location: The spaces betwix the starsJoined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 am
It is a Canon IXUS 801S

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
well you got ther one of less reviewed Canon models .. wich quite intrigue me .. never less i got a manual of your camera (if we got same 1 it is on 100p )
so if you whana get a good photo on this camera in macro mode :
go to half manual setings (swich off auto)
set ISO to max 400 (ye i know he could go to 1600 but - well instade of good photos you wil get a good RGB noise + Collor abrations)
then go to WB opcions end use "Custom reccal" - this will calibrate white to the white you show camera - so use white paper end set a foto place - white in place of mini - set is by custom recall - then just make a photo of mini end enjoy :D
photo should be clear end almoust perfectly adjusted :)

dont forget to set all setings to "normal" afrer foto sessiom - cos you will get weard photos if you use same setings in other place

(dont use flash light)

- if you gona use flash light - ther is somthing like flash compensation - set it negative ... end well it would reqire a dyfiusion screan .. for good foto with flas light )

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:01 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Forgive me if I jump in uninvited, but would these settings work on an IXUS 870 IS? Cuz I believe I've tried about 12 billion different settings and my pictures still suck as much (maybe even more) as before...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:23 pm
SidekickPosts: 66Location: The spaces betwix the starsJoined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 am
Thanks for the tips, I will try it soon when I take a pic of my next Mini.

Speaking of which, Rook is coming along nicely so far, I should hopefully have him done in a day or two. I am doing something a bit different for me and also source lighting which I have never done before.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:19 am
Okay armed with my new Camera tips (Thanks Maru)

Here is my latest mini Rook.
I went with a concept for this one. I wanted his paint scheme to be linked with his name Rook. As the most common Chess pieces are white or black, I decided on black due to him being a villain.

I wanted the black to be fairly plain and the focus to be on the purple lighting coming from his armour. Now this is the first time I attempted to paint object source lighting and I think I failed, but it was interesting to try. I am sure with practice I can get better at its principals.

Overall I think this miniature looks okay but is not one of my best.

Enjoy! And if you have any tips on object source lighting feel free to point them my way :D
Attachment:
Rook1.png
Rook1.png [ 239.42 KiB | Viewed 2543 times ]

Attachment:
Rook2.png
Rook2.png [ 232.35 KiB | Viewed 2543 times ]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I think he turned out pretty well. Object source lighting is tricky. I've not done a lot of it. The best models to start with are figures with a single strong light source, like a weapon or a torch (or a flaming Sgt. Bale fist).

A good friend explained to me the hardest part of OSL icomes after you fully paint the mini without any source lighting. Paint it until it if finished and looks great. Then you make the huge leap of faith and actually paint over your good work using very thin layers for the OSL.

The trick with your Rook is to ask, what is the source of the lighting? And, if you draw straight lines out from that source, where does it hit the mini versus where is the light blocked by other parts of the min?

Does that help at all?

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:49 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Like IL I think you turned out a creditable mini. It may not have worked as you hoped, but it still looks pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:27 am
Thanks guys, may have sounded like I was a bit harsh on myself. It turned out okay just not what I had envisioned :D Still I enjoy trying new techniques.

I have been distracted (I can't believe I activated my WOW account again) but next on my paint table is Tangent, I made a nice base for her with some bits of pipe and green stuff and like the way its coming along so far.

Hopefully I can have her done in a few days.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:00 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Good luck. Pulp City models lend themselves to a wide variety of great basing.

We'll keep our eyes open for Tangent.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:48 am
Okay I have been busy this week and have almost finished Tangent, she just needs a few touch ups to the base but here she is.

I also started to convert my 6FU, love the concept art but I don't know perhaps the pose or something made me want to mess around with him. This is pretty much the first time I have used green stuff to do anything besides fill gaps and I think it is looking alright so far, still needs more work on the arms and waist and some touch ups.

I also have started working on a sectioned board for Pulp which I can switch around and change the look of. Will post up some pics of that as it progresses.

Attachment:
Tan1.jpg
Tan1.jpg [ 208.96 KiB | Viewed 2483 times ]

Attachment:
6fu1.jpg
6fu1.jpg [ 242.46 KiB | Viewed 2483 times ]

Attachment:
6fu2.jpg
6fu2.jpg [ 236.85 KiB | Viewed 2483 times ]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
aouch, that's gotta hurt!

For the sulpting, you should emphasize the tear on the shoulder a bit more, it would make him look even stronger and violent.imo.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:02 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 44Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm
Tangent looks great!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:39 pm
Tangent looks good and your repose of Six Feet under is great work. The fist in the air looks really good.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Simple but effective job on Tangent - great work. :D

I'll be interested to see SFU at various stages as you do more with him.