<  Hobby Section  ~  undead_jon gets his act together - *NEW - 30/06/2014 p6*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:35 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
Your Ace is awesome!
And your Solar is great to. I might pick up the idea with the freehand logo on his cape. Perhaps ill try this. :mrgreen:

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:26 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 249Location: Gatineau, CanadaJoined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm
Great color choice on June, I've been looking at her for a while but couldn't think of great color to put on her. Ace and Jade are also fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:11 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I just wish I had a June to paint 'sob' . . . .

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:12 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 147Location: Enfield, North-London, UKJoined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am
Right, I've been a little remiss in updating this post and so today I've sat down and photographed my newest completed mini's, so, deep breath, here we go.

First Apebot & Guerilla:

Apebot was one of those mini's that got painted 3 times before I was happy with the colour scheme. Guerilla on the other hand was what I'd envisaged from the first moment I saw him and got led to this little corner of hobbydom :)

Next Virus & Harrier:

Unfortunately both suffered from a problem I was having with cloudy varnish and they took a bit of time to repair, the pic of Virus shows the problem on the tail and face in particular, but IRL it's not actually that noticeable any more...I may add a poster to the wall behind Virus at some point just to make him stand out a little more (I'm thinking a Planet of the Apes poster should do :wink:)

Next Kitty Cheshire & Vector:

I really wanted to paint Kitty like the box art and I'm really happy with the way she came out, but boy are stripes tricky to do on a curvy girl...With Vector I really wanted to go with an 80's vfx look a la Tron & Automan (showing my age there I think :wink:) again, really happy with him.

And finally, Skyline:

Skyline was a weird mix of being both a joy to work on as well as a total nightmare all at the same time, the base was an Idea I had when I first saw him, the Hasslefree model I picked for the thug didn't need much to do to get into the right position and Skyline fitted on him almost as if they'd been designed to fit together. However the staff was very bent so I decided to replace it with straight sections of paperclip, but I wanted to keep the tips of the staff which meant I had to drill them...I won't go into details, but after an evening filled with blood, sweat and a lot of profanity I managed to get the little blighters in position...if you're thinking of doing something similar I'd advise against it unless you have the patience of a saint, cast iron fingers and/or a vice to use to hold them. Anyway, I then had problems coming up with a colour scheme I liked, and when I finally settled on one I liked and got him all but finished the bottom section of staff completely broke off at the hand and was a real pain to reattach, still I think it was all worth it in the end and I think he really looks good.

If anyone's interested here's a couple of shots of the base before Skyline was added.

As always C&C are welcome

J

My Painting Blog / My Pulp City Downloads
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:21 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4525Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Great stuff as usual Jon; a big selection in this update.

Of the minis you have shown in the latest update, I think Harrier, Kitty and Skyline are my favourites. You are a lot braver than me in actually painting the stripes on Kitty - kudos.

Great stuiff indeed. :)

Last edited by pulpcitizen on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:46 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 22Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:48 am
I agree, Kitty Cheshire is particularly impressive. Not just for the maddening freehand on the stripes, but for the execution of her dematerialization effect and the quality basing. Top marks!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:26 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 147Location: Enfield, North-London, UKJoined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am
After far too long away from the mean streets of Pulp City I'm back and I bring painted minis, or at least mini, with my take on Dr Red:

It took me a while to figure out how to base him as the computer he comes with didn't really fit in with my other bases. However, after a few delves through my bits box I found these two old GW ammo crates, one of which fit him perfectly, the larger crate I have two of so I'll be using the second as my A.R.C. Weapon Crate in games where I use them.

Other than that he was great fun to paint, I was going for a different look for the lab coat, but in the end decided to go this way.

Now just 5 more minis to paint and all my currently owned PC figures are painted, keep watching as I should have more soon.

As always, C&C are welcome.

J

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:22 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
I really dig Dr. Red. Nice work as always Jon. More important it's great to have you back on the boards!

I love the military crate, it works. The A.R.C. symbol on the crate is a really nice touch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:11 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4525Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Great execution as ever Jon; kudos. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:18 pm
My Latest exploits:

Red Riding Hoodoo and Zombie Wolf.

Pretty simple paint job, not too far from the norm. Thanks to Leon for sending me the pair, you're a scholar and a gentleman sir.

And a couple of resources, Gentleman's sniper rifle and a trio of Spy Bots.

Sniper rifle is from Heresy Miniatures and the Spy Bots are from Ground Zero Games' 15mm Stargrunt range (V15-70 Mini Hover Drones if anyone's interested).

Hope you like.

J

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:12 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
While your hoodoo is quite nice, I'm very impresed by your zombie wolf. The way the fur is clearly distinguised from his fleshy/boney bits is very well done. The eyes as well, really attract attention.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:19 pm
Very nice work as ususla Jon.Great stuff; Hoodoo and Zombie wolf turned out very well. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:24 pm
SidekickPosts: 59Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm
I really like those spy bots. Very slick!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:46 am
Ok, I've finally finished painting the last of the Pulp City figures I own so here they are:

Twilight.

Trail.

Grimm Elder.

Twilight and Trail have been something of a bane for me, took me a while to get a colour scheme right for them. Trail in particular has had three or four different looks and I'm still not entirety sure he's seen the last of a paintbrush, but for now I'm satisfied.

The little fellow however was just plain fun to paint and I should probably look into getting the others so he's not so lonely, but alas, that shall have to wait until I get a new job and can actually afford to buy new minis again.

So just a few tokens to get painted and I'll have no PC stuff left to paint for the time being, something of a result I think :D

As always C&C are welcome.

J

Last edited by undead_jon on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:49 am
Love the Spawn-style mask on Twilight (I did not notice that when i looked on you blog the other day).

I think the scheme for both Trail and Twilight are very effective, despite your reservations. Good stuff.

I too have found Grimm very fun to paint.

Great to see more stuff from you Jon; I hope the job situation resolves soon. :)