<  Hobby Section  ~  Bases

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 pm
SidekickPosts: 69Location: FinlandJoined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:42 pm
With the delivery of the KS goodies drawing closer, I started thinking about how I'm going to be basing the models.

I went looking for nice, modern, urban resin bases but there is surprisingly little on offer.

Secret Weapon has a line of Town Square bases, which would work for "old town" European look. Still, I would prefer a more modern look.

They also do an Urban Streets set which look more fitting but OTOH more boring as well. Dark grey always kinda sucks the pizzazz out of minis IMO and with the Town Square I could do pink and brown and tan hues to the flagstones making the bases more interesting. I suppose I could add a tuft somewhere in the Urban Streets bases but still that would likely end up more boring.

Micro Art Studio makes Urban bases but they aren't available with the lipped base designs. Hexagonal paving is a bit too futuristic, but they are an interesting design and had they suitable ones I would likely go for them. Oh, well.

Then there's cobblestone bases from several companies but those are a bit too old seeming for me (though, e.g., Helsinki does feature cobblestones).

Dragon Forge has very nice Concrete bases but I already use them (the non-lipped version) for my Infinity models and ordering from Dragon Forge is a bit of a drag due to them being in the US and thus incurring customs fees when ordering to Europe.

So yeah, anything else? Or do you do your own bases and if you go for urban look, how do you make them?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:03 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
A couple or three more:

Model Display Products: Their Gothic streets may be an option.

Fenris Games: theirIncursion bases are a useful option.

Dragon Forge: Their Fraktured paints up nicely as cracked asphalt - I used that for my BMG minis as can be seen here: http://eclecticgentlemantabletopgamer.b ... MG%20minis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:05 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 174Location: Chicago, USAJoined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:27 pm
I picked up a couple of the Happy Seppuku press molds for my bases... I have not gotten around to making the bases, But I think they will work nicely.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 152Location: Peterborough, ONJoined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm
I made my own press molds, but will probably be making the change to happy seppuku.

Offline Profile