<  Hobby Section  ~  I'm making Pulp City tokens. First token sheet available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 am
MortalPosts: 34Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:29 am
I'm an illustrator by trade and have a lot of experience making small graphics. A while back I made a large token set for AE-WWII to help with play. It's basically a sheet of color tokens that you print, then glue to something like thin craft foam and cut up into their individual tokens.

Anyway, seeing as how there's so many status effects, hero abilities, and more that linger through a round, I thought we could use some tokens for use in the game.

I spotted the ones made by Offalle, and the ones compiled by Larkin, but those are old, and I like to design mine more simple and graphical.

I'm thinking of whipping up a general token set first that have indicators for stuff like Incapacitated (no more laying your painted miniatures on their side to get scuffed up), Burdened, generic + or - to stats, etc.

Then from there I'll do tokens for the starter sets Supremes, then any particular requests from the community for Supreme specific tokens.

If there's any interest, I'll whip up a set and post them here for critique. I like to maximize the usability of any of my designs, but being so new to the game I don't know exactly what people want.

Lastly, I also need to ask permission from Morf to use various pulp city graphics like: :STR. And also I need to know how much information I can include on the token, such as what bonuses the ability that the token represents gives.

These tokens will, of course, be free to download for all players.

EDIT (8/30/2010): The first page of tokens have been created. It includes Flight, Charged, Burdened, Knocked Down, After Shocks, two sets of incapacitated tokens, and Power Up tokens sized to standard poker chip size (39mm).

Here's full page of tokens. Let me know if you need more or less on a page. It's sized to US Letter size (8.5" x 11") and should take into account printer borders.

Right click the links below and choose "Save As..."

In PDF format:
http://www.rollingarmadillo.com/pulpcit ... set001.pdf

Or in high quality JPG format:
http://www.rollingarmadillo.com/pulpcit ... set001.jpg

Last edited by Vertrucio on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
Sounds great! I would appreciate a set of tokens. They are a good way to keep track of whats going on. If you are a professional, than who could be better for this job.

I would use them.

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:32 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
seconded!

please do :D

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:18 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
I think Larkin Vain has some hosted on his site at the moment. You might want to check Miniature Mayhem and see so you don't replicate work that's been done before to save you some time.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:27 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Thirded!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:30 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Here's the link:
http://miniaturemayhem.net/downloads/pu ... downloads/

Looks like there are only starter tokens. Perhaps you can make them of the same design/style or simply make newer shinier ones?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:37 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 249Location: Gatineau, CanadaJoined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm
That would be great, I enjoy playing with tokens and it helps so you don't forget certain effect that happened earlier in the round.

Vertrucio wrote:
Then from there I'll do tokens for the starter sets Supremes, then any particular requests from the community for Supreme specific tokens.

I would say go with the models you use/like the most, I'm one purchase away from having all of them so I will enjoy all the tokens you make.

on a side note, do you glue them to foamcore?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:43 pm
I'd suggest gluing them to thin craft foam, something no more than 3/16" thick. The stuff I'm thinking of is stuff used for kids crafts, coming in brightly colored packs of 1/16" thick foam sheets usually 9"x"12" or close to that size. They often have one side that already has adhesive on it.

The problem with foam core is that it's tough to cut, especially the thicker stuff that's 3/16" thick of more and you're working with small cuts. With that kids craft foam sheets, you can cut it with sharp scissors if needed, although using a hobby knife is still preferred.

I just bought to Hero and Villain starters, so after the generic tokens, that's what I'll work on.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:07 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Whenever I print tokens, I use A4 sticky lable paper - no glue issues then ;)

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:33 pm
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
Whenever I print tokens, I use A4 sticky lable paper - no glue issues then ;)

I use magnetic bingo chips from Wal-mart. You get 300 for around $3. I print my tokens out, run them through my wife's "sticker maker," and I've got stickers to put on my bingo chips.

The bingo chips are hard plastic and work well. They also make good action pools and markers for on the board.

Here's a page for them (not from Walmart):
http://www.alliedbingo.com/home/ab2/mul ... wands.html

Image:

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:59 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
I'd like some. Go for it as the ones I made are bit old :)

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:19 pm
Just testing some ideas. Two versions for a Power Die token, indicating how many power up dice you have in your pool. Handy for when you don't want extra dice littering your play surface, use the tokens instead of setting aside different colored dice.

I've also got plain poker chip sized tokens with just the pulp city logo on it in yellow, meant for use as Action Points.

The icon on the right will be for Incapacitated, the classic "seeing stars" iconography. Just black and white for now since it's not finished.

I'm trying to make the generic tokens have a little text as possible, so its more easily used by people in non-English speaking countries.
Attachments:
pulpcitytokentest.gif
pulpcitytokentest.gif [ 15.6 KiB | Viewed 6124 times ]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Hey that is lookin' good!

I would like to request some Blast and effect markers if I may. 1", 2", and 3" Radius blast markers for the various powers. Those are the things I feel are most needed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:14 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
+1 on the bandwagon for this. . .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:26 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
they look great, keep it up.