<  Hobby Section  ~  ACME SEMICONDUCTOR TESTING FACILITY (SOOOO many pics...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:09 am
MortalPosts: 14Location: Cincinnati, OhioJoined: Mon May 31, 2010 9:01 am
***EDIT*** Been a loooong time since I posted these. The website they were on is defunct, so I finally got them moved over to an existing, albeit dead, website at the prodding of a friend. Not trying to whore out my post, just update the links so the post isn't void of content.

Hello all. This is my last Pulp City table for awhile. I have plans for another, but I'm moving on to terrain for other games for now. Once again, this is a table for my FLGS, Art of War Gaming and Miniatures in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Below you will find FARRRRR too many pictures with some added commentary.

So, without further ado: Welcome to the Acme Semiconductor Testing Facility!

The line for the tour starts here:

--------------------------------------------------------

Tour guide: Greetings everyone and welcome to the Acme Semiconductor Testing Facility. You all have the necessary security clearance to view the construction images of this facility, but I must remind you that any reproductions of any of this material or the sharing of any information contained within by any other means is strictly prohibited by Acme Semiconductor Inc.

Tour guide: Here we see the main floor under construction:

Tour guide: As you can see below, construction of the mainframe is well under way and running smoothly.

(the levers on the left were made from straight pins.)

(the raised domes are rolled greenstuff, cut in half)

(the toggles on the right are small slices of wood dowel rod with the ends of straight pins stuck in them)

Tour guide: As is the "Ultra-Dubious Secret Weapon"?.

Tour guide: Here is the "Ultra-Dubious Secret Weapon"? and the mainframe console in place, but not yet operational.

Tour guide: Here are just a few of the machines that will occupy the main floor of the lab. These machines will be perform a myriad of duties, from the mundane to the highly complex. Everything that is being built in and for this facility is highly secret. Everything is built on site by the top Acme Semiconductor Inc. scientists.

Tour guide: Any construction tasks that Acme Semiconductor Inc. is not equipped to do are outsourced to expendable contractors. Upon completion of their specific task(s), the contractors are memory scrubbed.

Tour guide: Every machine on the main floor is powered in part by a large electro-magnet. The details are classified so I cannot discuss them with you at this time.

(every one of the machines on this table, with the exception of the mainframe, secret weapon, and scaffolding are magnetized so they can be thrown by superemes.)

Tour guide: These next two images were taken from balconies high above the main floor to demonstrate the magnitude of this facility.

Tour guide: Here you can see the fully-operational mainframe console.

(every dial on every machine was made by slicing a thin disk off of a 3-16th inch dowel rod and gluing a tiny posterboard triangle to it.)

Tour guide: As well as the "Ultra-Dubious Secret Weapon"?. For obvious reasons, it is currently powered down.

Tour guide: More shots of the various proprietary electro-magnets.

(in these pics, you can see some of the wiring that is "connected" to the machines. The wiring is positioned and super-glued to the floor so that the ends touch the machines and appear to be connected.)

Tour guide: Fully-operational testing Acme Semiconductor Testing Facility main floor laboratory. To protect the anonymity of our scientists and other lab personnel, the floor is empty for these photos.

(these four are to show the walls of this table. The first two are one wall, the second two, the other.)

Virus should get some sort of bonus(es) for being in such close proximity to so much science!

There you go. Hope you enjoy. If you happen to be in southeastern Ohio and can get to Cincinnati, I'd love to meet up for a game! :D

Any questions or comments would be lovely!

Ghazkhull

Last edited by Ghazkhull on Sat May 24, 2014 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:13 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Stunning; truly stuinning. :shock:

That is just brilliant. Kudos, big kudos. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 am
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Great work you have done! Very nice!

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:04 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 249Location: Gatineau, CanadaJoined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm
Incredible work :!: , very nicely done, reminds me of a lot of movies with secret lab. Great job. How big is the playing area?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
Abosolutely gorgeous! What was your inspiration for this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:47 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
In just a single word: Awesome!

How many workhours went into it?

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
YOu should be doing terrain work for companies who go to Gen Con!

That's a great table.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
I love the actual "comic book" feel of the terrain, perfect for Pulp City. I hope you don't mind, but I feel I need to steal some of your stuff for my own table.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
Great Stuff.

Love the retro feel here. Some good techniques to get a great effect.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 am
Again, I thank everyone for the kind responses!

hapotte wrote:
reminds me of a lot of movies with secret lab... How big is the playing area?

The playing area is 2 feet by 3 feet. All my Pulp City tables are made with these dimensions for a couple of reasons; 2'x3' is suggested in the rules, they are far easier to store in the game shop, and this was what the gaming store requested from me.

Here's how they are stored:

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
Abosolutely gorgeous! What was your inspiration for this?

To be honest, the inspiration came from 3 things:
1 - the campy comics of my youth.
2 - Our FLGS, Acme Games, went belly up several months ago. Some of the old employees/owners opened a new store, the one I made these tables for. So, my tables all have Acme-related themes (the Golf Course, the Lab, etc.).
3 - I was super tired of the "realism" I went for on my first three tables. I wanted to stretch FAR from realistic and do something imaginative.

HeXoR wrote:
How many workhours went into it?

Holy crap... I built EVERY bit of this from scratch. 3mm cardstock, 3/16" foamcore, and standard posterboard. I must have gone through nearly 100 x-acto blades. It took me more than 2 months to complete. The last couple of weeks seemed to be the worst because I was SOOOO sick of this project by that time. I just wanted it over with. There were several more machines that I either didn't finish or never started.

In all honesty, this table isn't technically finished. I had several more things do to it. Thing is, there was a comic and games convention here a few weeks ago and the game store was going to demo Pulp City there, so I rushed it to get it demo-able for the con.

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
I love the actual "comic book" feel of the terrain, perfect for Pulp City. I hope you don't mind, but I feel I need to steal some of your stuff for my own table.

Campy movies and 1970-80's comic book/cartoon feel was EXACTLY what I was striving for. Excellent to hear that people who I DON'T know are perceiving it precisely how I tried to build it. That is totally awesome! As far as using some ideas, please do! Just be sure to post the pics when you're done.

I will email you scans of my machine sketches if you want! :D

Ghazkhull

Last edited by Ghazkhull on Sat May 24, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:58 am
Oh, by the way... Here's a picture of the front of that Ork Boss Pole in the middle of the store.
I just have a feeling somebody would ask about it:

Ghazkhull

Last edited by Ghazkhull on Sat May 24, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
Very nice. :)
I know that those projects could be exhausting. It took me over a year to get my table to the current state. Doing something "fun" under time pressure is most of the time the opposit of fun. :shock:

The other tables look great also.

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 pm
Ghazkhull wrote:
Oh, by the way... Here's a picture of the front of that Ork Boss Pole in the middle of the store.
I just have a feeling somebody would ask about it:

Ghazkhull

PM with with E-mail addy sent!

I just noticed that you are in Cincy, thats's only about 1 1/2 hours from me. Maybe we can get together and play sometime.