<  Hobby Section  ~  Getting started with the good guys (Pictures)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 am
MortalPosts: 14Location: Owensboro, KYJoined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am
So last week I got my box of figures in the mail and have been working on them.

I've not gotten much done on them as of yet. However I thought I would try something new and did my own bases.

Anyhow here are the only 2 I have done and then some wip pics.

I had to do this guy up first because he was so cool. I wanted an all metal look and also a very simple paint job. I'm really trying to just get nice table top paint jobs on these guys because there are so few on the table but still being played with I don't want to over do it as I know they will get dropped some time in their life.
The base was just the most simple putty but I think it turned out okay for him.

Next up, and again a very simple paint up. I tried to create motion with the base but it only turned out so so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 am
Here are some wip things.

Mostly just the bases I am working on. I'm trying some sculpting putty for them. I've never really used it before this so it is a lot of learning as I go. Anyhow for my first attempts I feel like they are good enough for table top play.

I did not care for the cape and thought I would try to make some fire like he was starting to blast off.

This is going to be for the wolf.
The metal grave marker was left over from some other minis I had in my bits box.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:36 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Some great basing ideas there. Kudos :)

Thanks for sharing with us - hopefully we will get more updates. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
LOVELY Base Work!

If you dont like the Cape "as is" why not sculpt another, Solar looks kinda naked without a Cape IMHO!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:42 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Those are great concepts put into practice.

Glad you got some models and slappin' some paint on them. They look great. I like the idea of Androida tearing up the ashpalt as she zooms across town.

Fantastic!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 am
Here is the wolf finally. Not real happy but It is good enough to play with at least. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll paint another one up. Right now I am just trying to get minis on the table.

Still got a little shiny going on but some dull cote later should finish that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:53 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I think the wolf came out fine; good stuff. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 pm
Well the wolf has actually started to grow on me. I was just trying to do more of a sable look and ended up with that and just kind of finished off after getting kind of discouraged.

I think I need to go with some brighter colors in the future as my minis are looking quite dark.

So for now here is Red and now the wolf won't feel alone.

I am a lot more happy with this mini. It was quite a bit more fun to paint. I tried to keep my time at under an hour for the painting but ended up just a bit over. The base turned out better than I expected after it was painted up.

I've been looking through the other posts and there are a lot of impressive figures painted here. A lot of inspiration for picking out colors to be had. Color theory is not one of my strong points being a bit color blind so I tend to just go with what other people have done that looks good. It's awsome that there are pictures of the painted figures on the box also. I like that better than blisters that leave you with no idea how the figure should look assembled and painted.

Also thanks for the kind words and comments.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:57 pm
If that was just over an hour to finish Red Riding Hoodoo, then I am very impressed. Kudos. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:35 pm
Thank you.

And yes that was about an hour an 15 min. on the paint job. Not counting drying times or sculpting the base. I try to set a time goal for all my figures. Usually it is 1,2, or 4 hours, depending ont he size of the figure. I run over some times and under others.

In 09 I decided I wanted to learn to speed paint because I was never getting anything on the table in a reasonable amount of time. I would spend several hours on a figure and that would be broken up over several days as I did not have a lot of sit down time to paint.

I met an artist at Gen Con one year who I really liked her painting style and spent about 2 years trying to mimic that and pushed myself into loosing interest in painting as it stopped being fun. I got pretty good at traditional painting methods, not master quality but respectable and just did not enjoy it.

With speed painting I find it very enjoyable to sit down and be able to finish a normal mini and a feeling of having gotten something done. It also means I've been able to field fully painted armys for the first time over the last year or so.

Speed painting is kind of s different mind set than showcase painting though a lot of the same techniques, but mostly basic ones. Everyone who paints long enough will develop their own style that they enjoy and is unique to them and thats one of the best parts about painting minis. It's taken me about 2 years of painting minis to get my method worked out. Though nothing is set in stone so to say and I continue to develop and try different things to see how they go and that really helps to keep things interesting.

This time I wanted to sculpt all my own bases though I've never done it before so it has been pretty exciting for me.

I figure I've painted close to 30 miniatures this year. I hope to have a nice sellection of these characters done and ready for GenCon this year as I plan on going and trying to get some games in. Last time I went I spent all my time playing Warmachine, so I want to get to do something different this time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:05 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
LOVE Red Riding Hoodoo - REALLY nice!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:54 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 249Location: Gatineau, CanadaJoined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm
Great job, I love seeing painted models and it's nice to see a new collection rising! Keep the good work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:16 am
So here are today's work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:08 pm
Nice Colour Scheme (it reminds me of Marvles' "Captain MArvel"), love the FLames - I STILL think he needs a Cape though ;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:56 am
I've finally got my hero box set finished. Also here are a few better pictures of the other guys.

Speed painting is about the only way I have time to get done with any painting. However I'm going on vacation soon and will have a whole week off just to be home and do whatever I want. I hope to get some work done on my villian box.

Better picture of the wolf

Better picture of Solar

I really wanted him to have a comic book feel so I went very heavy on the dark shading for kind of a cell shade look.