<  Hobby Section  ~  General painting chat thread

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:40 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
While many of us have our personal painting threads, I thought it may help some of us to have a general painting discussion & chat thread, so as not to derail those personal threads too much.

Just to unload if nothing else.

Take my own circumstances for example: I am getting closer to my goal of painting everything Pulp City, yet a few minis (Iron Train; 4 Necro GI's; Chronin) are really slow going for me. I was within 9 minis of painting everything - and now I am looking at lots more under coated stuff. I know I'll get there, but sometimes I find minis quick and easy to paint, other times unbelievably frustratingly slow to get finished. Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:21 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
My "issue" with painting is (obviously) the fact I am slow and deliberate with my hands, but actually having time to sit down for more than an hour at a time!

My current "batch" nearing completion are Trail, Jade Hawk, and Skyline - with Skyline causing me the most problems, I'm doing a varient colour scheme which is proving to be a task.

Jade Hawk, I'm just having fun with here - trying to see how many different Greens I can use LoL.

Trail is coming on nicely too, he's very "operatic" in appearance.

Again time rears its ugly head, I manage a whole two hours painting last night - but its just not enough. Twilight has been sitting half done for ages now!

I have a few more new Miniatures on the way (thanks to Jim Dice) but I want AT LEAST these four finished before they get here (I just wish I could have snagged some Ulthar too LoL).

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:25 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
I have Acorn waiting since she got out. I placed her on a very detailed base i dont want to paint. :) So that little treehugger might get painted last.

But you know the old mystical rule. If you have no mini left to paint the earth and everything will end. :twisted: So... nobody wants that and keeps coated or uncoated minis in the back. :)

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:29 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
HeXoR wrote:
I have Acorn waiting since she got out. I placed her on a very detailed base i dont want to paint. :) So that little treehugger might get painted last.

But you know the old mystical rule. If you have no mini left to paint the earth and everything will end. :twisted: So... nobody wants that and keeps coated or uncoated minis in the back. :)

Looking at my mountain of WH40K armies unpainted, my Confrontation stuff, my miscellaneous other stiff, let alone Pulp City - the Earth is safe for now. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:28 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I sold all my 40K/WFB stuff when I left GW - I never played their games before I worked for them, and I stopped when I left ;)

I have three "Forces" for Helldorado, my AE-WWII miniatures, loads of Spinespur, 23 Anima Tactics Miniatures to start on, and Malifaux.

The ONLY new Miniatures I intend on buying are Pulp City ;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:31 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
I hate detailing, which makes it hard for me to really feel like I every finish painting anything.

That being said, I hate assembling multipart figs only marginally less.

And my post-Gencon pile of lead sure has a lot of little bits that I will be gluing to my fingers. (In addition to fixing my poor one-handed Hellsmith.)

But tonight, we get that ball rolling.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:37 pm
Scorpio wrote:
But tonight, we get that ball rolling.

THATS THE SPIRIT!

I actually detest blocking in, especially when painting big armies!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:42 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
I hope to get back to painting again as soon as my home renovations are done. Unfortunately everything is packed up at the moment. :(

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:16 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
Painting up the last of my trolls for hordes which have sat undercoated for ages. Now that mk2 is finally out I am motivated again!
My pile of unpainted wm/hordes is pretty big though :(
Have 2 malifaux crews to paint and a load of 15mm and stuff I got at salute

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:13 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Well, everyone saw my unpainted PC lead...

If I painted one model a week, I'd still have models to paint in a year. That's just for PC.

Gah.

I need to finish this bloodbowl team this weekend for a client, then I'm off to painting my own things (Well, except for FA fleet)!

I'm watching the Miniature Mentor's first DVD right now with Laurent ???? and it's pretty good. It goes in to show some neat things that I've never, ever done, so hopefully my skills will improve. The issue is that the new skills I'm watching take three times as long to accomplish since you put on a ton of layers with water like paint. :shock:

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 am
I've managed ZERO painting this evening, Dad managed a fall - FORTUNATELY it wasn't bad and was remedied by having the Doctor out rather than spending all night in casualty.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:59 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
Quote:
other times unbelievably frustratingly slow to get finished. Anyone else have this problem?

ye usualy
as a old merc painter ... i mey sey ther is 2 types of minis - painters frendly end extremly annoing , all is in the sculpt itself - no mater what color theme you get an unfrendly mini will be nightmare end "frendly" 1 will be poetry

(now im stuck with commisioned infinity Chaseurs eith ADHL - mini looks extremly coll ... but painting it is just nightmare .. why ?? duno .. )

best / worst mini from pulp city line ??

st. Bale - is just blast you get him on painting desk then BLAM .. he is done - amazing
Androida - for me nightmare .... (to paint not mini sculpt) as i get her to paint i alvays try to do it Asap .. or it bacame nightmare - to much catalilar parts .. i would prefere an "armour" robot look

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:06 am
I find SOMETIMES the little buggers can be stubborn, they don't "like" the colours you have chosen so sometimes you are best off starting again.

I just wish I had more time.

When I was younger I used to do contract work, even to the point of painting in a specific "style" that the customer wanted.

I found myself with more work than I wanted, and it put me off painting for myself - so my own stuff simply wasn't getting the attention it should - so I stopped it all.

Now I find (espcially with looking after my Father) I simply don't have the bloody time LoL!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:22 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 249Location: Gatineau, CanadaJoined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm
I have the same problem here, I was on a roll during my vacation but now that work as restarted, I find it harder to paint my supremes, I've got 4 of them started but I don't know why I can't seem to finish them, they are SFU, Tangent, Sister Bedlam and Xenobi. Although xenobi is coming along prety well :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:29 am
hapotte wrote:
I have the same problem here, I was on a roll during my vacation but now that work as restarted, I find it harder to paint my supremes, I've got 4 of them started but I don't know why I can't seem to finish them, they are SFU, Tangent, Sister Bedlam and Xenobi. Although xenobi is coming along prety well :D

I'm actually doing little "bits" whilst "foruming" as my PC is on my Painting desk LoL!

I feel better if I at least TRY and do a little every now and again!

Offline Profile WWW