<  Hobby Section  ~  What Paints do you use? and GW releasing a new line

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:38 am
MortalPosts: 33Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 am
Up to now I have used GW paints because its all I could get locally. Found a vendor on ebay that didnt gouge on shipping to Canada so I have some Vallejo paints on the way.

Im curious about Reaper paints and privateer press stuff, but again, I may get hosed on shipping.

What are people using and what are your experiences?

And the second half of the post GW new paint line, all hype or worth taking a look? personally hate that they kept the smaller "never seal right" paint pots.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:52 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 9Location: Wichita, KSJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Mecha_Buddha wrote:
Up to now I have used GW paints because its all I could get locally. Found a vendor on ebay that didnt gouge on shipping to Canada so I have some Vallejo paints on the way.

Im curious about Reaper paints and privateer press stuff, but again, I may get hosed on shipping.

What are people using and what are your experiences?

And the second half of the post GW new paint line, all hype or worth taking a look? personally hate that they kept the smaller "never seal right" paint pots.

I personally dislike paint pots that you find with most product lines, the paint may be fine, it is the container I have an issue with. The brand I use the most is Vallejo, but I have thought about trying some of the p3 paints. I did read a little about the new GW paint line and I think most of what they are pushing is just re-branding of the same product. The only thing I found interesting was the new paints design for dry brushing, just not sure why anyone would want chalky paint for it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:00 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 152Location: Peterborough, ONJoined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm
I use a mix of GW, P3 and Vallejo game or model color. I've heard that GW is using a new manufacturer for the paints. As long as they don't mess with my Devlan Mud or whatever they will be calling it i"ll be fine.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:41 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
P3 and Reaper are the ones I use the most.

The P3 are silky feeling laying down smooth. Avoid their metals. The RMS (Reaper) are great and mix with anything. I like the triads as I'm color-blind and helps me with the shading, base, and highlighting.

I find Vallejo to be similar to the RMS.

All mix well together. I've not used more than two or three GW paints so I can't comment on them.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:50 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
I use GW paints. I have tied afew P3 but prefer the GW ones.
Very pleased with thier new releases. Soooooo many more colours.
Im not a great painter so exact mixing and things doesnt go well. The new shades will be such a huge help.
Looking forward to trying the new shades, glazes, bases and textures.
(Hopefully have a review up on my blog in a week or so)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:05 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I use anything and everything - even nail polish if the colour is right LoL!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
For my paints I use Vallejo, mainly Model Colour, but also some of their Extra Opaque paints as well. On the whole I prefer the Vallejo's to my previous GW paint experiences.

For washes, both GW and Vallejo - but the GW are far superior to be honest; Devlan Mud is just a superb product (as is Vallejo Smoke for that matter - I suggest the latter for anyone using metallics and wanting to dirty them up a bit).

I recently bought some Secret Weapons washes and with 30 in that range, if I like the 6 I have, I will probably pick up the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:22 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 148Location: Enfield, North-London, UKJoined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am
Mainly a mix of Foundry & GW, with a few Vallejo, P3, Rackham and Coat d'arms thrown in for good measure.

Basically anything that looks good to me goes into the mix.

J

My Painting Blog / My Pulp City Downloads
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
I use GW foundation paints & vallejo mostly. I am very much a base coat highlight wash sort of guy & those ones cover well so suit my purposes. The foundation ones are mostly rather drab but Vallejo have some bright ones. I glaze & layer s bit with GW mostly to brighten things up.

I am intrigued by the GW range & will be getting plenty of them. Basecoat black & white for starters.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:19 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 37Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 am
Vallejo mostly now a mix of game and model colour (so many colours!)

i still have GW paints that i use especial the Mud which i stocked up on prior to the new release

I havent tried smoke on metals ill try thanks for the tip

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:41 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
If you are using a good Varnish, the Tamiya Clears are amazing - the only problem is they are Gloss (hence the need for the varnish)

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW