<  Hobby Section  ~  guynamedFleck's Heroes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 41Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:22 pm
I've been a lurker on the forums for a while, but decided it was as good a time as any to sneak out from the shadows (sort of :lol: ). I figured a suitable start would be an introduction through my Heroes inspired by the works of Frank Miller.

Apologies for the slightly blurry shots, my models live at the flgs and I didn't realize the shots weren't as clear as I'd like until I got back to the house. I'll try to setup a proper photo booth soon and shoot the group in better detail. I also realize while posting that I didn't get a full shot of the display board. The crew looked a bit out of place "in a world of color," so they sit on a black and white display board that i now notice bears a striking resemblance to to the forums header!

For now anyway, my humble beginnings...

Nuclear Jones, my original test model for the concept.

And to make up for the above sub par shots, I offer up a photo of my crew preparing for action from my game earlier tonight. I'm hoping to pull together a battle report from this game, but for now, you can at least see the crew as they entered the mad-scientist's lab!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:25 am
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
They look amazing!
Loving the Sin City style. Very striking .
Great work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:15 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Love this idea, and the execution is very nice - I love the trailing and leadin g shadows on the bases and the complimentary terrain - brilliant concept. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
The bases are particularly striking!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:14 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
Very nice work!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:36 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Those are fantastic! I've always wanted to play around with unusual colour schemes (I wanted to make it look like a black/white movie) but this is one of the first times I've seen it executed so well.

That terrain is abolutely perfect too!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
guynamedFleck, did you ever see Moxi's B&W Supremes?

They can be seen in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=993&p=8690#p8690

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
It's INSANELY irritating painting B&W (well for me at least) I did a load of Bob Murch Pulp Miniatures for a chap in Spain - he wanted them all B&W!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:32 pm
Thank you all for the kind words and comments! I really had a lot of fun painting up these Heroes. I'll post up the villans when I get a chance. They were painted up in a more traditional style, each matching in with a familiar Marvel/DC persona.

@Doctor-Warlock - I really wanted to try something new and perhaps "simply complex" for the basing on these models. I'm rather happy with the outcome. I plan to do a quick tutorial on them here at the forum. The photos are all set, I just need to sit down and type it up.

@pulpcitizen - I did stumble across a photo of Moxi's supremes while researching the concept. I love to paint, but Moxi far exceeds my ability. Definitely a perfect translation of film noir.

Also something about Frank Millar's simplistic, true b/w with only primary color accents just really called out when I saw the models. That, and I hope to do an entire city board of terrain in the same black-lined style somewhere down the line, so black-line won out over gradients! :P

@cardboardvampire - I have to say, we have had a small following of Pulp City players here in Cincinnati for some time. Back in the early days (pdf freeplay rules) one of our locals built a series of 4 2'x3' Pulp City boards to help demo and show off the game. They are amazing! each one can stand alone, or the 4 can be lined up for one mega 8'x3' landscape. There is a beach/boardwalk, a mini-golf course, parking lot and a mad scientist lab (from the photo). He actually magnetized the terrain so that it could be thrown, but still stored on the boards. I'll get some better shots and toss them up in a post too!

Well, thank you again for all the comments! Looks like I need to get it in gear and get the camera up to the flgs so I can share some more photos!

--edit--
I did happen to find an old shot on my camera of some of the boards. From left to right; A demo board for Malifaux, the mini-gulf course, the Beach/boardwalk, and finally the parking lot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:46 pm
I recognise those boards - Ghazkhull's work!

We haven't seen him around here in ages, encourage him back if you can. :)

You have some super cool minis to play games on super cool boards - consider me envious. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:30 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
guynamedFleck wrote:
Thank you all for the kind words and comments! I really had a lot of fun painting up these Heroes. I'll post up the villans when I get a chance. They were painted up in a more traditional style, each matching in with a familiar Marvel/DC persona.

Looking forward to seeing the Villains. Working on Marvel schemes myself

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:29 am
pulpcitizen wrote:
I recognise those boards - Ghazkhull's work!

We haven't seen him around here in ages, encourage him back if you can. :)

You have some super cool minis to play games on super cool boards - consider me envious. :)

Will certainly do the next time I run into him. I'm doing my best to breath some fresh life into this game at the flgs. It also looks like Ghaz chronicled his boards on this forum, but it seems his photo links are all dead, so I'll still go ahead and re-post some photos of his boards (since they are still as amazing as ever and people should be able to check them out for inspiration!).

---

Well, I drug the light box up to the shop tonight and got some halfway decent shots of the supremes, so here is the lot! I'll post the Villian in a separate thread (wouldn't want any fighting to break out here! :lol: )

All the Supremes!

C.O.R.E.
ImageImage

Nuclear Jones
ImageImage

Iron Train
ImageImage

Dr. Mercury
ImageImage

Captain Hadron
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 am
Chronin
ImageImage

Lady Cyburn
ImageImage

Androida
ImageImage

Bots
ImageImage

And the latest addition...

Silverrager
ImageImage

A better shot of the whole group on their display board!

Just three monkeys to go and I'll have all my Supreme's painted up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:55 am
That is a great display board to show off this approach. Cool stuff. :)

Will we see more after the next ARC minis?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:39 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
That is a great display board to show off this approach. Cool stuff. :)

Will we see more after the next ARC minis?

There is a really good chance of that. Finishing off the Murtiple will just see my current mini collection complete. I'll probably pick up some Villians to compliment the set (so I can do a nice B/W demo for new gamers).

But before that happens, I need to finish painting my Dystopian Wars fleet & a starter force for Hell Dorado. Did I mention, I play way to many miniatures games?