<  Hobby Section  ~  obsidian3d's Supers Painting Thread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 am
MortalPosts: 39Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:13 am
Hey all,

I have owned a good portion of Pulp City figures for quite a while but have only played a few games. Im eagerly awaiting my collector pledgeto arrive. In the meantime I thought I should join up here, share some of my stuff and chat with some like minded gamers.

Here is some of my stuff.

Last edited by obsidian3d on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:50 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Thanks for posting and welcome aboard obsidian3d (a name I recognise from LAF I think. ;) ).

The minis look great. I think my favourites are Dead Eye and the Vigilantes. :)

And welcome aboard. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:54 pm
SidekickPosts: 69Location: FinlandJoined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:42 pm
Oh man, those are great!

The free-hand number one on Deadeye's chest is awesome and his color scheme really works well. I also love both of the Vigilantes - very sharp look and the black skin is very nicely done.

The other two pics are a bit hazy. I really dig Iron Train's color scheme, though!

Also, a hearty welcome!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:37 pm
Thanks folks. I am indeed the same obsidian3d as over on LAF. There has been an upturn in super related stuff there, but not much specific to Pulp City's new edition.

The pics of my starter sets are a bit odd. They're a few years old so who can remember settings on a camera. I think they get the point across. The colour scheme on Iron Train was supposed to look like an old Canadian Pacific Rail locomotive. He turned out a little dark but still looks decent. Doom train is on my table next, but I haven't decided what colours to use for him yet.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:17 am
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Nice stuff! Considering how cool your Iron Train looks, I'm quite curious to see how Doom Train turns out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:29 pm
Well thanks! I have a few ideas for how I want to paint it. It's tough to decide if I should go with the standard eerie red or green glow that an evil possessed locomotive should obviously have, or if I want to go in a divergent direction. Oh what to do what to do...? :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:09 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Some models just speak for themselves I think. For me Supreme Zed just paints himself. Other models I end up painting a stripping a bunch of times until I get something I like. I say just go for it. Don't be afraid to get crazy with colors and such. Sometimes those are the best pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:51 pm
Fair point. I found Crimson Oni to be a really easy model to paint. Still need to take photos of that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:31 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Oh please share that. I'm a big Crimson Oni fan. He was a lot of fun to paint. I know Leon has a soft spot for him as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:18 pm
Crimson Oni and his sidekick are already finished, but I have some green stuff work to do on Foxxy Blade before I can paint her. Once she's done I'll post them all on my blog and here as well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:59 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
a collector pledge - a lot of stuff ... is that actualy the one "all inclusive" ??
keep painting :)
a lot of work ahead
have you tryed a dark lining and edge highlightning ? - this could immensy improve your PJ

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:39 pm
Yes I believe the collector pledge was pretty much 'one of everything.' It seemed like the best deal, even though I had a good portion of the model line already. Once I get my pledge shipment I'll likely be posting a bunch of my extras up for sale somewhere. It certainly will be a lot of painting though!

As to my painting, I general do a base coat, wash and then one or two highlights using the base colour and a lighter colour. It depends on how much time I have and the figure itself. Dark lining is probably beyond my patience/skill level if it's what I think you mean.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
things that are beyond you are only the one you let them be beyond you

Blacklining/Barklinking
is quite easy and may be made in mid painting phase or after painting 90% of mini - either way it add comix like effect and make all colours pop futer more adding clean feel
there is a good and easy tutorial
http://www.jenova.dk/Blacklining.htm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 pm
If you are struggling with Blacklining you can do what I do. Get a fine tip Micron Pen, use that to blackline. Sure it's cheap, but it works!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm
The black-lining tutorial photos are quite striking. I might have to try it out once to see if I can do it. I'll need to pick a model to try it on.

I think I have one of those Micron pens. However, isn't it basically the same ink as the stuff in Sharpie markers? I have found that a sharpie will rub off of plastic due to the oils in skin.

Offline Profile