<  Hobby Section  ~  Bins, benches, etc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:44 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Thier fire hydrants, garbage cans, and park benches look really nice. The benches will get a little pricey after you get a couple of them, especially when shipped to the US.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:40 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Invader Larb wrote:
Thier fire hydrants, garbage cans, and park benches look really nice. The benches will get a little pricey after you get a couple of them, especially when shipped to the US.

A friend picked up some of the Fenris pieces, and generally found them to be very useful, except for the bench which he feels is too fragile for regular gaming use.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:16 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
That's too bad. I'm still looking for nice benches. I got a pair from a model railroad store but they turned out quite small and insanely delicate.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Invader Larb wrote:
That's too bad. I'm still looking for nice benches. I got a pair from a model railroad store but they turned out quite small and insanely delicate.

Even if the Fenris ones are not ideal, those Mega Minis ones look sturdy enough for gaming (assuming they are metal like the rest of their products).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm
Yeah, but you get one in a pack of other stuff. And, I already have other stuff like trash cans, mail boxes, fire hydrants, telephone booths, etc.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Invader Larb wrote:
Yeah, but you get one in a pack of other stuff. And, I already have other stuff like trash cans, mail boxes, fire hydrants, telephone booths, etc.

If I find any viable alternatives I'll be sure to let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
Try O Scale railroad stuff. It's somewhat cheap and their is tons of it all over the auctions and web shops. Everything from working LCD fast food signs to park benches with bums sleeping on them.

Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:42 pm
Actually this is where I got much of my urban scenery. I still have not seen benches I'm satisfied with though. Making some is on my list of projects.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:56 pm
I recently received some nice RAFM USX US Mail boxes and US-style newspaper vending boxes/machines (link)which I recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:25 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Leon, you have a knack for digging up these old posts. . .

. . . however, Bachmann O/S scale is the way to go for buildings and such - they are MUCH better than the Lionel buildings. The kits you have to paint/assemble, but it is better than the prepainted expensive stuff. . .

Several of my Bachmann buildings have come with some lawn chairs, but no benches. . . so far, the Mega Minis is the way to go. . .

The Fenris bases I have are great. I haven't ordered any of the terrain pieces, but will have to try them out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:53 pm
BountyhunterQ wrote:
Leon, you have a knack for digging up these old posts. . .

. . . however, Bachmann O/S scale is the way to go for buildings and such - they are MUCH better than the Lionel buildings. The kits you have to paint/assemble, but it is better than the prepainted expensive stuff. . .

Several of my Bachmann buildings have come with some lawn chairs, but no benches. . . so far, the Mega Minis is the way to go. . .

The Fenris bases I have are great. I haven't ordered any of the terrain pieces, but will have to try them out.

I recently got the Fenris fire hydrants which are cool.

I have a few of the Bachmann (Plasticville) buildings which are hard to get in the UK, but Dark House games does stock some.

Anytime I find something new of interest, I'll try and add it to the thread! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Tower Hobbies (http://www.trainmodels.com or http://www.towerhobbies.com) will ship internationally. I know the shipping might be a little more, but they have quite a discount on the prices and you are able to purchase the Bachmann stuff as "kits" - it is everything that is in the "complete" set, but it is not assembled or painted (which is better IMHO).

They are pretty fair on shipping in the US, so it might be a spot to look at if you have trouble getting it locally. . .

/disclaimer

Of course, if you can get something locally, from a local game shop, you should do that to not only support your local economy, but to ensure you have a place to roll out those minis!

/end disclaimer

Happy shopping!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 pm
An older thread, but often useful as a reference source.

Above is a handful of street furniture models and a couple of cash bags useful as objective markers.

(Left/centre) - trash cans, mail box, concrete bench; all Megaminis
(Left) - cash bags; bonus bits courtesy Pulp Monsters (not in current production)
(Middle) - blue newspaper vending machines; RAFM USX Moderns range
(Centre/Right) - mail boxes, fire hydrants (not the same as the ones in my previous posts - I have yet to paint up the Fenris ones); Black Cat

Of the Megaminis, RAFM and Black Cat stuff, the Megaminis is easily best for quality of sculpt and casting, and does well for value also, so I highly recommend them. RAFM suffered for mould slippage and lack of surface detailing, while the Black Cat stuff was all badly cast (the mail boxes are resin, the fire hydrants are metal).

The Megaminis stuff is easily my favourite - here is some Megaminis stuff alongside Pulp City minis for scale purposes: