<  Hobby Section  ~  All your base?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:42 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 97Location: Brunswick, MaineJoined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm
Salutations all.

I've recently picked up the starter boxes, and have begun assembling my models. But I find myself in a conumdrum: What kind of bases to put them on?

Certainly not the basic grass/stone deal I do for my other games.

I looked at some of the pre-fabbed bases out there, and a lot of them look very...cluttered?

I have a collection of the Epicast cobblestone bases, and I think they'll look good on the models, and give them a 'coherent' look when I have them on the board...

So what about you? What do your Supremes walk on?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:30 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Some on mine are walking on some acid/mud-looking green-stuff+pva mix, sme others on nice standard road/sidewalks, some others on roofs or other exotic things... Just think about where do you think you might encounter these supremes. For instance, the flyers might fit well on a roof, or on top of a wall, whereas hoodo and gator look more like they'd enjoy a muddy base...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:43 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Hey Devilsquid!

I have my supremes on a variety of resin bases. Plus Pulp City actually has custom resin bases for the box set models.

Some models are perfectly well served by traditional basing, like Hoodoo and Gator.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:44 pm
HeraldPosts: 174Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm
For all the starter figures, I used the resin bases specifically made for those figures.

For some of the other models (Mourn, Sentry Bots, Gentleman, Red Baron), I bought some MicroArt Studio Old Factory bases.

After that, I've been using random bits and pieces with some pumice paste. I'm particularly proud of how Six Feet Under and Harrier's bases turned out.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:21 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 97Location: Brunswick, MaineJoined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm
So do you folks paint your front arc on your bases?

*ducks*

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:28 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 40Location: Boston, MAJoined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:55 am
I haven't as of yet, since AFAIK there is no real front arc as it relates to LOS or anything else.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:21 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Lando wrote:
I haven't as of yet, since AFAIK there is no real front arc as it relates to LOS or anything else.

You are right. No front or rear arc...The models are static representations of dynamic supremes who can see every direction at any second!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Yup, there is no need. All models have 360 degree vision. There are no front/rear arcs.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 pm
*sigh*

Alas poor joke, we hardly knew you.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:05 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
I got the joke. Does that make me special, or you know "special"?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:40 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Oooooooooooooooh! Ah! I...I... think I got it!

Ah yeah...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:10 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
See what happens when you let a PG'er onto the boards...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:21 pm
Cats and Dogs, living together! Mass Hysteria!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:28 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I use a mix of the Maxmini PC bases, Dragon Forge bases and Fenris bases.

The Dragon Forge bases are very nicely cast and generally uncluttered. Furthermore they have matching sizes (30, 40 and 50 mm) in individual ranges, meaning it is easy to theme a set of minis. They charge a falt rate for international orders which is nice, and there are freebies for orders of certain values.

The Fenris bases are not as well cast in my experience (usually the surface detail is fine, but the bottom of the base isn't as flat as the DF ones). There are some nice ranges, but not all are available in both 30 and 40 mm. They are based in the UK.

The Maxmini bases are nice, but there is a lot going on which I feel is fine for some, not for others, and may affect how you approach painting and assembly since for some it may be best to paint the mini off the base, which is not my preferred approach. They are the only manufacturer of a remotely suitable base for Twilight in my view.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:43 pm
The dragon forge ones look nice, especially the Concrete Rubble ones.

But i'm curious, they don't look to be the same 'type' of base as the Pulp City bases (the ones with the 'lip'.) Has that caused base size issues in game play?

Offline Profile