<  Hobby Section  ~  All your base?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:29 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Devilsquid wrote:
The dragon forge ones look nice, especially the Concrete Rubble ones.

But i'm curious, they don't look to be the same 'type' of base as the Pulp City bases (the ones with the 'lip'.) Has that caused base size issues in game play?

They do some 25 mm standard slotta size equivalents, but also 30, 40 and 50 mm round lip types - you just need to scroll through the sections (round lip are after square style).

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:47 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 97Location: Brunswick, MaineJoined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm
Dur dur dur...not sure how I missed scrolling down. Perhaps I should have hit the 'end' button. *feelsstupid*

Nice looking bases. If I didn't already have a stockpile of the Epicast Flagstone bases I'd certainly get some.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:53 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I'm using the concrete rubble ones for my ARC. They are really nice.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:01 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 12Location: Bellevue, WAJoined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:09 am
The Dragonforge stuff is really nice and very affordable. Plus once you get to a certain dollar amount (I think it's $30), you get $5 of free product.

I'm a big fan of Micro Arts Studios, but for a whole army, it gets expensive in a hurry.

I've got the starter set bases coming into the LGS next week. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:03 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 99Location: HeidelbergJoined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:26 pm
bobaferret wrote:
I'm a big fan of Micro Arts Studios, but for a whole army, it gets expensive in a hurry.

I really like Micro Arts too, but they produce a LOT of bases I would never even consider buying. Not because they are ugly but because they are so cluttered that it would be almost impossible to put a miniature on them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:27 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Are there any other base/base inserts that anyone can recommend?

I know some of the Malifaux bases may be suitable, as well as the Dark Age inserts/toppers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:58 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Fenris-Games__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Try these out. They have a couple Urban and Wrecked bases that fit nicely.

I just ordered some.

I wish that Maxmini did more bases!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:55 pm
BountyhunterQ wrote:
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Fenris-Games__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Try these out. They have a couple Urban and Wrecked bases that fit nicely.

I just ordered some.

I wish that Maxmini did more bases!

We have Fenris on page 1, but thanks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:47 am
leonmallett wrote:

It's all good, Leon. . . usually, I just scan over your posts, so I must have missed it! :wink:

Just kidding, of course. You said the bottom isn't usually as flat on the Fenris bases? I'm thinking that is probably a pretty easy fix, though, right? I imagine with a little sandpaper, they can be leveled pretty easily.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:57 am
BountyhunterQ wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

It's all good, Leon. . . usually, I just scan over your posts, so I must have missed it! :wink:

Just kidding, of course. You said the bottom isn't usually as flat on the Fenris bases? I'm thinking that is probably a pretty easy fix, though, right? I imagine with a little sandpaper, they can be leveled pretty easily.

No worries! 8)

Yeah, they can be sandpapered. The resin has a slightly more crystalline feel to me. For me, the resin that Dragon Forge uses has been the nicest for cleaning up and drilling for mounting points.

I have used plenty of the Fenris bases and they are probably a little more varied in execution of detail than DF, but both ranges sit nicely alongside one another.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:17 pm
I haven't received mine yet, but Ian from Fenris seems to be a pretty good guy. I bought several 30 and 40mm bases from different ranges, but the shipping discount didn't combine properly and I just received a partial refund from Ian without even asking! That's good business, to me! I'll post pictures of the bases when they arrive - we'll get all close up and show some of the details and any problems with the bottoms.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:57 pm
BountyhunterQ wrote:
I haven't received mine yet, but Ian from Fenris seems to be a pretty good guy. I bought several 30 and 40mm bases from different ranges, but the shipping discount didn't combine properly and I just received a partial refund from Ian without even asking! That's good business, to me! I'll post pictures of the bases when they arrive - we'll get all close up and show some of the details and any problems with the bottoms.

I just hope my comments haven't put anyone off the Fenris bases, because they are good. In fact I plan to order some of the industrial wasteland ones they used for Incursion soon enough.

When I mentioned earlier about his detailing being more varied I meant in breadth of choice/subject matter not quality. His bases are good quality products.

And as for Ian, he has thrown freebie miscasts in to my orders in the past (perfectly usable miscasts with minimal work), so i have to say he is a great trader for doing those kinds of things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:34 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Casting flat bottom bases in resin is very difficult.
So help the manufacturers and just sandpaper them as BountyhunterQ suggested.

That is also the reason I preffer inserts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:10 pm
I came across these on the TTGN site this morning. . .

Free shipping worldwide for orders over a certain amount.

http://www.kerrandking.co.uk/

And they have some interesting bases. . .

Gator?

Forgotten, Bloodwatch, Nature style supremes/minions?

Industrial?

I looked, Leon, and didn't see these mentioned anywhere in this thread, yet :wink: . Kerr and King seems to be from your neck of the woods - do you know anything about their quality?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:28 pm
I came acros them a day or two ago after some really deep searching for bases. I found a few other manufacturers as well.

I can't comment for there quality, but I may order some soon. If I do, I'll post my thoughts.

Some of the sci-fi ones incorporate grassalnd so don't really fit my urban base ethos, but since Gator does take his swamp with him, a swamp base seems really fitting.

Base inserts - Iron Halo

Back 2 base-ix: more fantasy/historical than modern

Enigma Miniatures

ForgeCraft: modern/sci-fi diamond plate decking

Taban: the scrap bases could work well

PK Pro: the releief and limited relief ranges have some base options