<  Hobby Section  ~  Terrain: Pulp City Streets

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:33 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 44Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm
A friend of mine and myself just made a 3' x 3' board today, using the method above.

We used 9 6mm 12" x 12" MDF squares, and 5mm cork with some cardboard for pavement-tiles.

We cut and pasted all day, and I'll be painting it up tomorrow.

We also made two of the squared into a park using cut-outs from a grass-battlemat!

It's a really really great idea! Terrain building has never been this easy :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:22 pm
MortalPosts: 35Location: Melbourne, AustraliaJoined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:45 am
Hehe, ingenious use of materials to replicate some city blocks!

I make a lot of terrain for our store and gaming club and this is the simplest method for making streets and yet so effective!

Thanks, I'll be making a bunch of these tomorrow.

If your interested you can see my YouTube channel for other cheap terrain projects! I know I'll be filming this one and exposing my current subscribers to Pulp City!

www.youtube.com/rubbishinrubbishout

Cheers!

Knee deep in glue, plaster, cardboard and paint!
http://www.battlebunker.com
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:43 pm
MortalPosts: 43Location: BPRDJoined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:39 pm
A few questions, as I want to make some of these streets as well.

How do you keep the edges of the cork board from chipping off?

What do you use for the sidewalk sections and how do you get them to keep from curling over or getting air bubbles in the glues sections?

I have the plywood, the corkboard, and some textured card stock paper, as well as a gluestick. Before I start, is this the correct materials? I noticed Larkin said "Wood Glue "in the posting tword the front of the thred, What is wood glue, and what does it look like? Elmers, Zap a Gap? what brand?

As for the park boards,
1.How do you get the green lawn portions to not curel over, or shed when you put the glue on them?
2.How do you get the trail so that it doesn't chaff off when it dries?
3.How do you keep the park sheets from bubbling up undernieth when you glue the green down?
4. Is that green glues down right to the board, or is it glued down to the cork board, as well?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Grot 6 wrote:
A few questions, as I want to make some of these streets as well.

How do you keep the edges of the cork board from chipping off?

careful storage? Hope? So long as they are stored reasonably safely they should be generally okay.

Quote:
What do you use for the sidewalk sections and how do you get them to keep from curling over or getting air bubbles in the glues sections?

On mine I used thin card cut to size.

Quote:
I have the plywood, the corkboard, and some textured card stock paper, as well as a gluestick. Before I start, is this the correct materials? I noticed Larkin said "Wood Glue "in the posting tword the front of the thred, What is wood glue, and what does it look like? Elmers, Zap a Gap? what brand?

I presume wood gllue = PVA; white glue that dries clear and can be thinned with water. i stuck the card down with glue stick.

Quote:
As for the park boards,
1.How do you get the green lawn portions to not curel over, or shed when you put the glue on them?
2.How do you get the trail so that it doesn't chaff off when it dries?
3.How do you keep the park sheets from bubbling up undernieth when you glue the green down?
4. Is that green glues down right to the board, or is it glued down to the cork board, as well?

1. I bought sheets with static grass type finish from a railway store; they were larger than the boards and just trimmd to size.
2. few options (I didn't bother), but if using sheet material cut it to size and you can texture the path fro a really durable finish.
3. the sheets I have had a plasticated back - lost of PVA on that did the trick, and they can always be reglued if needed
4. to keep all boards the same approximate thickness I glued cork to ply, then the grass sheet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:20 pm
MortalPosts: 43Location: BPRDJoined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:39 pm
So, I finally picked up the last of the components to make the streets and park with.

"Wood Glue" I found was really just a TYPE, LOL

I hate to admit it, but I'd never heard of this product before, and it didn't really even occure to me that there was any other type of glue then Elmers white basic, generic glue.

Along with the glue, I found a local hobby shop that specializes in model rail roads, and have been looking over a few interesting choices of buildings.

"Plasticville" is the brand that seems very reasonable for the price, and looks great, as well. This line of buildings has everything one needs for a good batch of a town, and they come in "O" scale, which is roughly 1/48th.

There is a neat City Hall building, and School set that comes with small park fixings, such as a slide, a swingset, and a marry go round, as well as numerous other fine choices for a small town. My first pick on the list is to first get the strets done, then get the city hall for the beginning of the town.
Later, I'll be getting into the other buildings, and have a pretty good showing for generic town structures. ( ZOmbie invasion, maybe? or a SUper villian choice that uses ghosts, or zombies for minions. I picked up a batch of the zombies form the wargames factory, for cheap a zombie horde that just screams for pulping.

As for the "City", I am looking over a few good sites for some basic buildings, and have found a few god examples that use the cardstock and the foamboard to get the buildings up and running.

Thanks all for the great startoff for the streets!

Offline Profile