<  Hobby Section  ~  Modular Pulp City board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:02 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 44Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm
Thanks to the technique introduced by Larkin Vain in this thread, a friend of mine and myself made a 3' x 3' cityscape board, using nine 12" x 12" tiles.

We used 6mm MDF and 4mm cork for the raised parts. Layers of cardboard cover up the cork to make it look like concrete or pavement tiles.

All the tiles are the same height, so they stack up nicely.

As you can see, we made two parks, two straight roads with a t-intersection, a parking lot and three "omni-tiles" that can be used for placing buildings, hotdog-stands or stuff like that.

The park is cutouts from a grass battlemat, with some gravel glued on the underlying cork for a grainy path.

The bushes are pre-produced greenery glued onto poker chips as bases. We'll be doing the same with trees further on.

The cars are 1:43 scale. We used Gentleman as a guide for the size of a normal human, and they fit perfectly with the miniatures. I found a Mini Cooper with Union Jack on the roof, that I really want too; the mental image of Iron Train picking it up and tossing it after the nearest villan with a bellowing "Oh behave!" is too good to pass up!

Now we just need to make some buildings and accessories and get the minis painted!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:46 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
That is some great looking work. I look forward to seeing it populated with your buildings and other items.

Thanks for sharing!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:00 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Looking good. I still have to work on my buildings. I've just been flooded with work lately that I don't have any time. :(

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm
MortalPosts: 35Location: Melbourne, AustraliaJoined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:45 am
Man I love looking at terrain, I always get inspired when I see other peoples work. The park is an excellent idea, Im really looking forward to smashing out a bunch of city blocks!

Cheers

Knee deep in glue, plaster, cardboard and paint!
http://www.battlebunker.com
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Really nice work. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:42 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
It is a really neat idea, easy to store too!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:44 pm
Not only are they really easy to store, but if we we're to demo the game, it'd be so easy to pack up four appropriate tiles, a few cars and bushes along with a building and minis, and you're set for a demo with an awesome playfield.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:22 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Very nice! Have you had any issues with the mdf board not being exactly flat? I have some that I'm working on and seem to notice it has a bit of a curve in it prior to cutting it out (still haven't cut it, so it might go away after cutting).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 pm
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, there are some issues with the MDF not being totally flat, but the skew is very slight in all the boards, and really doesn't matter much.

The biggest problem is that MDF is pretty slick, so I've been using squares of non-slip fabric underneath them to keep them still.

Offline Profile